Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Aug 2013 (Monday) 22:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RANT: Photographer for the less fortunate?!

Sens0r
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 13, 2013 13:15 |  #31

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16204694 (external link)
Learn to be a photographer first.

I sent you a PM with a list of photographers in the area advertising wedding shoots between $500 and $2,000

Can you say I can't deliver similar work? (Except the person advertising $1,700.. I'll say after ONE wedding experience, I'll do similar work)

If you say that, I'll post my best general photography shots, and you choose their best shots in your opinion.

I will accept the outcome..

My profile on 500px.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)
Canon 600D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD | YN-560II

sponsored links
Sens0r
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 13, 2013 13:25 |  #32

jwhite65 wrote in post #16204746 (external link)
I think being a 2nd shooter would be your best avenue for learning.
Good luck to you.

Thank you.. I think I will have to stick to finding 2nd shooter opportunities, even if things happen slow. It's the safest way to go.

My profile on 500px.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)
Canon 600D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD | YN-560II

jwhite65
395 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 13, 2013 13:33 |  #33

Share that list with the rest of us? :)

Jeff
http://www.jeffwhiteph​otography.com (external link)
5D MkIII | 5D MkII | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 | 600EX-RT (3) | ST-E3-RT

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 13, 2013 13:39 |  #34

Sens0r wrote in post #16204750 (external link)
I sent you a PM with a list of photographers in the area advertising wedding shoots between $500 and $2,000

Can you say I can't deliver similar work? (Except the person advertising $1,700.. I'll say after ONE wedding experience, I'll do similar work)

If you say that, I'll post my best general photography shots, and you choose their best shots in your opinion.

I will accept the outcome..

Just because they have no business being in business, doesn't mean you have business being in business.

I don't care how much someone charging $2k sucks. That has nothing to do with what you choose to do. You are telling people to hire someone good because you aren't confident in your abilities. Then you shouldn't be offering up, even for free. It is just bad business.

Showing their worst pic vs your best pic doesn't prove anything. I could probably post one of my best shots and one of Joe McNally's worst shots ever and you would choose mine, and it wouldn't mean I am better than Joe.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 13, 2013 13:45 |  #35

you can also try to find some group shoots via meetup.com etc in your area, fun easy way to build up a portfolio. Might not be wedding per se, but portraits, fashion, etc, all good things and you get to watch others and always will pick up something new.

Maybe also contact a wedding boutique in your area, offer some trade thing, you shoot their outfits with models they supply, they get prints to hang in their store or put in ads/web, etc.

Get a couple you know, rent a tux and a wedding dress, shoot. Maybe they even still have their wedding dress? Same for fancy outfits some might have (or again a local boutique).

Or a flower shop or a cake shop, to add some of the "wedding detail" shot. Lots of things you can do "for fun" that will add to your portfolio without being known as the free guy.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 13, 2013 14:00 |  #36

Sens0r wrote in post #16204661 (external link)
I think I like how you're looking at it.. But what if when you make that move people ask for sample wedding work? What are you going to say exactly? I wanna know this..

I can't tell you exactly what i will say, because every client is different. But i can tell you what my goals are going into the sales process. FWIW, i have the benefit of having dealt with clients as a freelance graphic artist for 15+ years.

I have a diverse portfolio of images. Very low light examples, portrait examples, event photography examples, action examples, landscape examples, architecture examples, , ,

I know how to take pictures, the hard evidence i can provide, plus talking to the client about my experience and skill should be enough to get a face to face meeting. You'd be surprised what a simple website with your name on it can do to boost confidence.

once i get face time, i will make sure they understand that i plan to take an organized and methodical approach to the job. I will have a list of questions they need to answer, that include outlining their expectations as well as all of the details and contact information for the venue. Basically I will do everything i can to appear as a professional business person in their eyes so that confidence is built.

A person with a great marketing scheme but below average photography skills will do many times better than someone with below average marketing skills and great photographic skills.

If you have both you will go far.

Sens0r wrote in post #16204661 (external link)
Again, this is what I'm trying to do. How can you build skills at wedding photography without actually shooting weddings?!

Marketing. If you don't have confidence that you can do the job, you'll never get the client to buy in. Honestly, its starting to sound like you don't have the confidence, and need to get better organized as to what it takes to sucessfully shoot a wedding. Which is fine. As i said earlier, "WHEN i decide to get into wedding photogaphy" i will be fully ready. That time isn't here yet, not because i don't think i can take great pictures at a wedding, but because all the non-picture taking pieces are not together yet.

Read this guy's stuff, you could read his old blog posts for days and come up with some incredible ideas about how to market your services and convince clients that you are unique.

http://sethgodin.typep​ad.com/ (external link)

if you have confidence and passion about your product, with some serious thought and PLANNING, you should be able to sell it.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

OhLook
you get what you get
19,347 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 13, 2013 14:17 |  #37

You can shoot at public events like parades and fairs (county fair and street fair outdoors, trade fair or convention indoors) to practice maneuvering where people are moving around. For cakes, flowers, rings, table settings, and food, set up still lifes and vary the lighting conditions. Spend a month on wine being poured into a glass. If you don't have a relationship with a church/synagogue/templ​e, find a member of the clergy and ask permission to shoot inside the building when it's empty. Take pictures of church windows until you know a great technique for doing stained glass. Take pictures of the seating from different spots until you have focus and depth of field down pat for that kind of shot. See what I mean?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,224 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 14, 2013 06:03 |  #38

Sens0r wrote in post #16203140 (external link)
Me:"I was not expecting so many people would call a free photographer to do weddings, but apparently some do, and some can't afford a great photographer"

Excellent marketing! NOT!!

Website (external link) |

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 14, 2013 07:10 as a reply to  @ Picture North Carolina's post |  #39

You will find plenty of photographers who have shoddy homes and/or vehicles but thousands of dollars in camera gear. Have you see anyone who has a nicer car than a home? What about musicians who stuff $10,000 in gear into a $500 vehicle every weekend?

People have the means to afford the things that they value most. Those who really want a photographer will find a way to pay for it. If they just want point & shoot quality pictures from their wedding day, then that's what they are going to look to pay for.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2013 20:22 |  #40

this thread is a couple of months old...any update on the free weddings?

Here is my take, seeing as I read through all the comments before recognizing the date.

-You do not practice at someone's wedding. Period.
-OP- from reading everything, you need to take control of everything. You seem to go with the flow. recipie for disaster.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

sponsored links

4,893 views & 0 likes for this thread
RANT: Photographer for the less fortunate?!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.