Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Aug 2013 (Tuesday) 10:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

One more Pelican case question...

aliengin
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 13, 2013 10:47 |  #1

After deciding the size now the decision on foam or dividers? I am going to store 2 Einsteins and 2 batteries. If I go with the foam I can store the items but if I go with padded dividers I can store more stuff like cables, speedlites etc. This will be checked baggage which one you would recommend? I gues I can make the dividers really snug but will it reach the quality of foam as far as protection?

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

sponsored links
ChristopherMadison
527 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 13, 2013 12:37 |  #2

I just ordered a 1654 with padded dividers for 3 Elinchrom BXRI 500 lights, cords and accessories. I believe the dividers are the way to go as they offer the flexibility of moving the dividers as your gear changes with more than adequate protection. The foam does offer you maximum protection, but lacks the flexibility the padded dividers offer once you pick and pluck your compartments.

If you decide on the padded dividers in the particular case your eyeing, just make sure the layout, length and amount of dividers fit your needs. Each case offers a different divider layout.

I also have the popular 1514 model which has the padded dividers which has served me well for the past three years.

My Gear

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 13, 2013 12:39 |  #3

i bought my case with the dividers. i bought a set of replacement foam for cheap on ebay. i use the dividers 95% of the time, but when i want maximum protection i plop in the cut foam.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

aliengin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 13, 2013 13:48 |  #4

pdrober2 wrote in post #16204656 (external link)
i bought my case with the dividers. i bought a set of replacement foam for cheap on ebay. i use the dividers 95% of the time, but when i want maximum protection i plop in the cut foam.

Thanks! Never thought of that!

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 13, 2013 15:32 as a reply to  @ aliengin's post |  #5

Me.... I put the stuff in the dividers in bubble wrap for shipping..... It really protects, honestly the dividers have no shock protection value.........

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 13, 2013 17:24 |  #6

I use the foam for my underwater stuff(strobes, cables, housing, ports, light arms, batteries,etc.). I don't things to change often and the foam protects the fragile things quite well. The fact that one of my strobes was delivered DOA due to a broken bulb, I don't think I'd trust the padded dividers to keep them safe. I'm changing brands of housing and with that a lot of the other gear so I'm just going to buy a new piece of foam, several years form now I'll possibly have to do the same.

If I use my a pelican case for normal camera gear I'd likely use the padded dividers as gear owned/brought/needed changes more often so being able to move things around would be more important to me.

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 13, 2013 17:40 |  #7

I just today also ordered a 1654 to house 4 einsteins and reflectors/cords, etc. Got it with the dividers as my first configuration of them probably won't be the last and I didn't want to mess with trying to re-configure foam.

Also got the lid organizer for smaller stuff like the cybersyncs, spare bulbs, fuses, etc.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 14, 2013 02:44 |  #8

P51Mstg wrote in post #16205133 (external link)
Me.... I put the stuff in the dividers in bubble wrap for shipping..... It really protects, honestly the dividers have no shock protection value.........

Mark H

The two times I've checked my case, I did the same thing. I had considered pdrober's idea too, but I'm cheap.

Neil

aliengin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 14, 2013 09:19 |  #9

I wonder if I ordered the small case??? Do you think 2 Einsteins and 2 Vagabonds fit in 1564???

sponsored links

1,140 views & 0 likes for this thread
One more Pelican case question...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.