Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Aug 2013 (Tuesday) 22:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I limiting myself by sticking with my 350d?!?

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 14, 2013 03:25 |  #16

I have used a 350D for years! I love it. I also have a 40D that I use as my main. When I go back to my 350D I realize the features are much harder to access quickly, the viewfinder is harder to see through, the 1.8" screen is hard to review, and there is no live view. But it takes pictures, and good ones at that, and that's really all that matters right?

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

sponsored links
JoYork
Goldmember
3,079 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 14, 2013 04:01 |  #17

If image quality is the only important factor then the biggest improvement if you upgrade to a newer camera will be cleaner images at high ISOs. However, shoot a decent photo in good light on your 350D and on a body with twice the megapixels and there won't be a massive difference in quality unless you plan to print large or crop the image. I'm not saying that higher megapixel bodies won't improve the image quality - they will, but not to as large a degree as buying new glass does.

However, as your camera is several generations behind, upgrading will bring some luxuries such as a much larger screen to view your images on (or an articulated screen on some models for shooting at awkward angles) and, of course, video.

Jo
Flickr (external link)

Z0RR0
49 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 14, 2013 09:53 |  #18

I just depends what you shoot. I have a 10D and it's fine, I actually enjoy working the camera to the max, learning new tricks on how to get the most out of it.
This being said, I'm upgrading soon as I want to take more night pictures and I just don't see myself obtaining the results I want with the 10D.

So yeah, nothing wrong with using an old camera to the max. It's nice, actually. But at some point if you go "well, I just can not get that shot with my equipment" repeatedly, then perhaps an upgrade is in your future.

Some people upgrade to the newest and latest as soon as it comes out, others wait for a dire need for features. In the end it doesn't matter as long as you still want to get out and take pictures.

6D, 10D, Tokina 12-24, Canon 50 f1.8, 28-135 , 430EXII, GoPro 1&2

smasraum
591 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 14, 2013 19:13 |  #19

Z0RR0 wrote in post #16207097 (external link)
I just depends what you shoot.

What do you like to shoot?

I've had a Rebel XT/350D for many years, and have always been happy with the results that I've gotten out of it. I went on a special vacation in July (Amazon river in Brazil), so in March I upgraded to a 60D and a some new lenses. I took both the 350D and the 60D on the trip and used them both (it's easier than swapping lenses frequently). Because I was pretty sure that even my new 400mm lens was going to be too short for a lot of my subjects requiring me to do a lot of cropping on some shots, I figured the extra resolution would be very useful. The extra ISO didn't hurt at times either.

I love my 350D, but I love the 60D even more. The controls are much quicker and easier to use, and the extra ISO is nice to have when you want it.

I haven't used the LCD to enable me to take photos at odd angles, and I pretty much always use the view finder, but both the view finder and the LCD on the 60D are larger and easier to see/use which is nice.

I don't know if you need an upgrade, but I suspect you'll appreciate an upgrade.

Steve
Canon EOS 60D, 350D, 630
Canon 15-85 IS, 100-400L IS, 50mm 1.8, Canon 18-55mm, Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro
Canon AE-1 Program w/ Canon 50mm 1.4 and 70-210

kurrious
95 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 16, 2013 15:33 |  #20

I always feel the need to grab a new model,and the 70d looks fantastic ,but I"ve just bought a pair or yongnuo 622 flash triggers, and so far ,having the flash off camera has completely changed my mind. I am happy with the images I am getting with my trusty xsi using my new triggers,and the yearning for a new model has waned. No doubt,I"ll always keep an eye out for a good deal,but for now I"ll keep learning on the xsi and save the $$ for a Tokina 11-16 , or towards a 70-300.

80d , 450d ,10-18mm, 18-135 usm, 50 1.8mm, 17-55mm, 60mm macro, 55-250IImm, Sigma 30 1.4mm godox and canon lighting
Ralph

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 16, 2013 21:25 |  #21

I moved from the 350D to a 50D, and the things i like the most about the move are the control layout, the additional menus, and the extra MP allow for more reach through cropping. In a way, it's made me a bit lazier when it comes to framing - I can crop stuff out rather then move. Probably the best thing about the available upgrades is the LCD screen size. The 350D's was tiny in comparison. The bigger LCD is really nice, and probably my favorite difference.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Jaanus
46 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 16, 2013 22:52 as a reply to  @ KirkS518's post |  #22

Hei! I just updated from a 350d to a 7d a few days ago. Up until now I was sure that having better glass was the way to go...now I have to add that technology has come far in the years - the speed, a/f, screen, picture quality with higher isos, VIEWFINDER :), and the ease of use are all just so much better.
I can't help but think about the times when I lost a good pic in poor light because of my wondering a/f and curse myself for not getting an upgrade before. Saying all of that I still like my old 350 and it was funny to see the look on peoples faces when they learned that I used a "mere" 8mp relic body. I will definitely keep using the 350, but in less demanding situations.

Jaanus

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Aug 17, 2013 02:08 |  #23

You seem to be in a great place to upgrade to 5D in terms of lenses.

Or you can just keep shooting

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Canon ­ Amateur
277 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 17, 2013 03:02 |  #24

Fenka856 wrote in post #16206149 (external link)
Thanks for your comments folks. It makes me try to want to master this camera body before moving up in the MP world.

I recently sold my 70-200 f/4 to a friend with a 350D.
He used a canon 70-300 and thought the camera couldn't produce beter pictures.
Then he found out that lenses are more important then the (MP) body and bought my 70-200 f/4.
He immediately saw improvement and is still very satisfied with his 350D.
He hasn't reached the limits of the body/lens set, he said to me last week.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV / Canon EOS 760D / Lytro illum

hennie
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 17, 2013 03:04 |  #25

Just keep shooting with your 350D if it is still not limiting you, time will give you even more upgrade options. Currently every body, even the 100D is quite a step forward coming from a 350D.
When it eventually breaks down the 80D, 6D Mk V or 7D mkIII might give you even more bang for the buck than the suggestions mentionned in previous replies.

sponsored links

2,219 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I limiting myself by sticking with my 350d?!?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.