Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Aug 2013 (Wednesday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

For how do you sell your wildlife prints at shows?

bmknj17
76 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 14, 2013 10:08 |  #1

Hello.

Can't edit subject lines, huh? Sorry for the typo...

I hope this isn't against policy but I posted the text below last year and received no responses to my actual question. I thought a repost might yield fresh views from those who might be able to respond based upon their own actual numbers.

If there is anyone selling 11 x 14 wildlife prints--either matted and bagged or individually (not all black frames/ivory mats, etc.) framed (with ready-made frames of the type available at Michael's (which, btw, new lines and they are much nicer than old stock and are re-engineered to hold double mats), A.C. Moore, and art supply stores)? If so, how much are you charging at art and craft shows/fairs, restaurants or wineries, state park spaces and/or legitimate gallery settings, or directly to individuals?

Also, do you adjust prices based upon venue or location?

Thank you.
Brett
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/26398858@N02/ (external link)
_______

Last year's text...

Recently my images have been getting some attention (requests for donations (one very large) from well known wildlife organizations, invitations to exhibit at a number of state park and similar gallery spaces) and so I am planning to begin attempting to sell at (said) galleries and art/craft fairs next year.

I'll be offering 8 x 10, matted 11 x 14, and framed (individually--not uniformly) 11 x 14 and 16 x 20 prints.

I've reviewed more general pricing information here and elsewhere and I'm sure to get strong suggestions from the gallery managers, but at this early stage I'm interested in knowing what others in a position similar to mine are charging.

I'm in New Jersey and have been shooting for about 4 years, mostly local species. Not a big wildlife/nature state but we do have Cape May, arguably the top birding location in the country, and that is one of the towns where I'll have an opportunity to sell. Still, I'm talking blue jays and butterflies and raccoons, not lions and tigers and bears... Okay, a few bears...

I shoot with a 40D and 7D and a 100-400 f4.5/5.6 IS and 500 f4.0 IS. Happy to disclose any other information.

I'm aware of the various expenses and am looking more for actual prices for similar work, not common sense suggestions, equations, etc.

I appreciate any consideration.
Brett

Brett, shooting wildlife, mostly in New Jersey
Canon 40D, 7D, 7D Mll, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS, 500mm f/4.0 IS, 1.4 extender Mlll

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 14, 2013 10:18 |  #2

I don't sell prints often, but other people have posted their rules of thumb which are often along the lines of 42 cents per square inch, plus framing/matting cost+markup.

8x10x0.42 = $33.60 (maybe round up to $35)
11x14x0.42 = $65
16x20x0.42 = $135

[edit] I just read that you're not looking for equations. Sorry. Let me rephrase that:
8x10: $35
11x14: $65
16x20: $135

There, it's not an equation any more.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 14, 2013 10:22 |  #3

Since you used a descriptive title, the forum has done a mini-search for you. Look at the links at the
very bottom left hand corner of this page.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 14, 2013 10:59 |  #4

nathancarter wrote in post #16207177 (external link)
I don't sell prints often, but other people have posted their rules of thumb which are often along the lines of 42 cents per square inch, plus framing/matting cost+markup.

11x14x0.42 = $65
16x20x0.42 = $135

That's exactly what I use. ;)

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

bpiper7
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 14, 2013 13:02 |  #5

PhotosGuy wrote in post #16207192 (external link)
Since you used a descriptive title, the forum has done a mini-search for you. Look at the links at the
very bottom left hand corner of this page.

Which conveniently pointed him to his own previous thread. :D

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 14, 2013 14:40 |  #6

I dont think there is one set formula on how to determine your print prices. A lot of different factors play role in the final price.

When selecting my prices I did so by looking at websites of others who offer similar type of photography. I looked at prices set by people who are on the same level as me as well as those who are more established. I tried to analyze all the prices and set mine based on that. This should get you started.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 14, 2013 16:32 |  #7

nathancarter wrote in post #16207177 (external link)

11x14x0.42 = $65
16x20x0.42 = $135

[edit] I just read that you're not looking for equations. Sorry. Let me rephrase that:
8x10: $35
11x14: $65
16x20: $135

There, it's not an equation any more.

Are those prices just for the print or print + mat/frame?

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 14, 2013 18:02 |  #8

badams wrote in post #16208213 (external link)
Are those prices just for the print or print + mat/frame?

Since I use a similar formula, those are my print only prices.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

bmknj17
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 15, 2013 10:01 as a reply to  @ Hikin Mike's post |  #9

Thanks for the help.

Does anyone have a thought or formula re: marking up (ready-made) framing?

Brett, shooting wildlife, mostly in New Jersey
Canon 40D, 7D, 7D Mll, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS, 500mm f/4.0 IS, 1.4 extender Mlll

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 15, 2013 10:39 |  #10

Double your cost is not a bad place to start, if your market will bear it.

For less expensive pieces, you can use a higher percentage markup. For more expensive pieces, you might use a lower percent markup (but you're still making more profit dollars).

Auto repair shops generally mark up their parts by anywhere from 50% to 300% of their cost.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,974 posts
Gallery: 367 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 15, 2013 11:41 |  #11

nathancarter wrote in post #16210207 (external link)
Auto repair shops generally mark up their parts by anywhere from 50% to 300% of their cost.

They can get it cause there isnt 1,000 other auto shops out there selling the same service...

Cover your material costs for sure, beyond that depends on the market you are in, your name/reputation, the presentation of your images etc...

There is a guy that sells is animal images in art fairs...(has been published a few times in Nat Geo & others), and even he has lowered the prices he charges in this economy...lower than what I charge for smaller matted images...it works for him, and he clears enough to pay for his overseas safari's a few times a year (he's retired). Get picked up by a gallery and your asking price suddenly jumps 100 fold..;)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

tomj
633 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 15, 2013 13:12 as a reply to  @ digirebelva's post |  #12

"Get picked up by a gallery and your asking price suddenly jumps 100 fold.."

A gallery is selling art. They aren't going to sell a painting for a markup of the cost of the materials to paint it, or a photo for a markup of the cost to make the print.

Flickr (external link)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 15, 2013 13:37 |  #13

tomj wrote in post #16210645 (external link)
"Get picked up by a gallery and your asking price suddenly jumps 100 fold.."

A gallery is selling art. They aren't going to sell a painting for a markup of the cost of the materials to paint it, or a photo for a markup of the cost to make the print.

I agree - just because a gallery is selling your prints it doesnt mean your prices are going up. It is only 1 additional channel where you are selling your prints. You dont even have a guarantee that someone will buy them from this venue.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,974 posts
Gallery: 367 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 15, 2013 17:49 |  #14

dkizzle wrote in post #16210729 (external link)
I agree - just because a gallery is selling your prints it doesnt mean your prices are going up. It is only 1 additional channel where you are selling your prints. You dont even have a guarantee that someone will buy them from this venue.

Either 1 of you ever see a photo in a gallery for under $200...Remember, a gallery is dealing with a different level of clientele, really dont think you are going to see those folk at the local art fair. And those folks will pay more simply because they bought it at a gallery...(a known gallery mind you) The hard part of course is getting accepted. Andf since a gallery is going to get 40%-50% of any sale, do you really not think the price is not going to go up..;)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 16, 2013 08:38 |  #15

digirebelva wrote in post #16211380 (external link)
Either 1 of you ever see a photo in a gallery for under $200...Remember, a gallery is dealing with a different level of clientele, really dont think you are going to see those folk at the local art fair. And those folks will pay more simply because they bought it at a gallery...(a known gallery mind you) The hard part of course is getting accepted. Andf since a gallery is going to get 40%-50% of any sale, do you really not think the price is not going to go up..;)

See now you are changing your story and saying "a known gallery". That is completely different story. Famous gallery will obviously have higher prices but it doesnt mean your overall prices will go up because of it. You will still have only 1 place where your prints can be potentially purchased at a higher than normal rate.

sponsored links

3,567 views & 0 likes for this thread
For how do you sell your wildlife prints at shows?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.