Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,161 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 14, 2013 04:49 |  #5401

Mark0159 wrote in post #16206530 (external link)
I didn't get anything to explain what the mark was. Progear just sent an invoice. :rolleyes:

They sent an invoice with the camera? or the invoice to get the payment & go ahead with the repair?

Questions need to be asked as to what the issue is/was etc (goes away to check my 6D mirror.....)

sponsored links
Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,816 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 14, 2013 05:00 |  #5402

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #16206555 (external link)
They sent an invoice with the camera? or the invoice to get the payment & go ahead with the repair?

Questions need to be asked as to what the issue is/was etc (goes away to check my 6D mirror.....)

to quote the email from progear

Your camera has arrived back all clean, Please see attached invoice as
Canon NZ deemed it not a warranty fault and have charged you the standard
min charge. Please let me know when you have paid this and I will get the
camera down to you ASAP.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,161 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 14, 2013 05:33 as a reply to  @ Mark0159's post |  #5403

Seems a bit odd. I'd be keen to find out what the issue was. Even if it's to prevent a reoccurance.

Now something different. I've never really used live-view. Tonight I was playing around with flash & thought I'd try it with live-view. Flash didn't go off. Any comment or have I got some setting wrong?
Is it a pre-flash (ETTI) issue (runs away to try manual)

EDIT Fixed, silly grunt to flash while in video mode :(

forsaken
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 15, 2013 01:22 |  #5404

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #16206519 (external link)
Chin up Si. I watched that Harbour Bridge Bungee earlier, very cool but where is the video of your jump??

I have it on Disc here somewhere. Not sure how to edit videos.

*Simon* gear list | devolution photography (external link)
"No amount of clever technology takes a great shot, great shots are taken by people" - one day I may be able to take some :) -

momentz
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 15, 2013 04:36 |  #5405

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #16206597 (external link)
EDIT Fixed, silly grunt to flash while in video mode :(

Wasn't aware the 6D has grunt recognition! Is it hard to get the timing right to sync with the shutter, or do you just do a series or grunts? How silly do you have to be? I assume piggy grunting would do it? :lol::lol::lol:

Canon EOS
Eos is the Titanic goddess of the dawn, who rose from her home at the edge of Oceanus, the Ocean that surrounds the world, to herald her brother Helios, the sun.

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 15, 2013 05:04 |  #5406

Skippy29 wrote in post #16201493 (external link)
I still cannot accept that iKirst is not with us any longer...
Gutted.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

scotttnz wrote in post #16203291 (external link)
Ditto. So sad :(

I hear you.

klippe wrote in post #16118137 (external link)
Moppie did a sterling job of reading Dave's words for Kirst at her funeral. In my opinion, they were the most moving words said that day. Dave's words left me with a very acute sense of Dave and Kirst's friendship. A friendship that has been tragically cut short. I can only begin to imagine what Dave is feeling. I have said it before and I'll say it again. Dave, I am so sorry.

I consider myself very lucky to have known Kirstine. I spent some interesting times with her where I got a glimpse into some of the difficulties she's had in her lifetime (some of those on this forum will be familiar with those troubles - Kirst had more friends than perhaps she knew). But, despite those momentary glimpses, I never knew things were as bad as they were. I had spoken with Kirst for quite some time in March this year, she was upbeat and seemed to be enjoying her life. Perhaps it was just a 'show' for me. I don't know.

Needless to say, I was simply staggered when I heard the news......

It throws into perspective all that we 'think' matters in this life. So much of our day-to-day troubles really shouldn't be given any level of importance. Enjoying life is the most important thing we can strive for. Being happy. Having support networks and people you can speak to HAS to be one of the key things in life. Without them, some obstacles seem insurmountable.

For some people, they will not be able to see a way out, period. We must all realise that we will never be able to 'save' everybody. I struggle with that at times. Some will chose a path that ends their troubles abruptly - without them having to go through the struggle of confronting those troubles. Unfortunately for those left behind, it leaves only unanswered questions and the despair that comes with knowing that they would have helped if only they'd been asked.....

I have some really neat memories of Kirst and it's those that I will cherish in years to come. The fact that she left us early is a long-distant second.

Godspeed 'iKirst', you are one in a million.

Cliff

I've just spent some time flicking back through the thread covering the period while I was away, if I'm honest, entirely because I wanted to hear and see what people here had to say. Cliff, I know you got hold of me on FB too, but reading this, I feel genuinely touched - I thank you for the kind words.

I know most of you here will know of Kirst, some very well, some not so much - and of course to everyone her passing was in many respects a huge shock. I don't claim to have any bigger part in her life than anyone else, and I'm not trying to start a competition or anything, but the reality is 6yrs ago now when I found this thread and started pestering the sh*t out of all of you guys - and now looking back - being yet another clueless idiot Pom while doing it, you all welcomed me and didn't give me too much cr@p.

Yet Kirst was the one who met me at the airport. Kirst is the one who phoned me most weeks, who would physically not let me within 50k's of Auckland without hunting me down and coming for a hug. She was more than a friend, she felt like the core of the family I've developed in NZ where I simply don't have any 'actual' family of my own. I loved her to bits and always will...

I saw her other half last night, first time I've been able to see anyone who was part of her life since I've been back - and being filled in on things was pretty hard. My deepest sympathies go out to all of her friends and loved ones, those who won't read this and those who are here.

Lastly I'd like to publicly thank Moppie. When he was married last year, both Kirst and I, thoroughly amongst the sh*t with life attended the wedding as each others dates (and in case you're wondering, no, not like that) and frankly being at Moppie's special day couldn't have been more special with anyone else. So it was with some gratitude that he offered to speak at Kirst's funeral on my behalf while I was away in the UK. You guys know by now I wear my heart on my sleeve so I believe the stories I've heard saying it was bloody difficult for Moppie to read what I'd written. The fact he did, at a time where the only thing I wanted to do was be with her, but I couldn't, is something I simply can't ever repay or say thank you enough for. Moppie, I'm forever indebted - love you man.

This world is poorer for her not being here, our only consolation that at least now she's at rest in herself.

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,865 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 15, 2013 14:03 |  #5407

Damn guys,
I did not see any of this earlier. I'm crushed.

It's been a long time since we had interacted on the forum but I absolutely remember her very fondly.
(Who could forget that avatar and the apt work of the Title Fairy.. )
I recall a few online conversations with her from years ago when i was more active and she was a "noob" on the forum.

For the people that knew her better, I am so sorry for your loss.

I have to say I am a little amazed at how much this is effecting me. I can only imagine how hard it is for you.

She is shooting the big 1DX in the sky now, with a 200-400mm I'm sure.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,161 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 16, 2013 21:37 |  #5408

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16210807 (external link)
........I have to say I am a little amazed at how much this is effecting me.........

Hi CDS

Your thoughts are echoed throughout the GKPE group as a whole, she certainly had an effect on all who had the privilege to meet her.

It is good to hear from you again, we have own own Mod. of course but its not the same as having the occasional visit from some of the great powers like yourself & the likes of Tom.

I understand things are on the improve in your life, congrats are in order.

manipula wrote in post #16209630 (external link)
......So it was with some gratitude that he offered to speak at Kirst's funeral on my behalf while I was away in the UK. You guys know by now I wear my heart on my sleeve so I believe the stories I've heard saying it was bloody difficult for Moppie to read what I'd written. The fact he did, at a time where the only thing I wanted to do was be with her, but I couldn't, is something I simply can't ever repay or say thank you enough for...............
This world is poorer for her not being here, our only consolation that at least now she's at rest in herself.

As an attendee at the funeral, I wholeheartedly agree. I know how difficult it would have been for you and am pleased that you could have your input from a distance.

Moppie a great job under difficult circumstances and it is a great relief to have a friend volunteer or to call upon to step up to the plate on your behalf.

lomenak
649 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 17, 2013 16:31 |  #5409

I would need to get couple of prints (50cm long side panos) done today asap - i know poor planning:(

Any recommendation on place that is open on Sunday in Auckland, somewhere central/west would be best.

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,161 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 17, 2013 17:31 |  #5410

lomenak wrote in post #16216655 (external link)
I would need to get couple of prints (50cm long side panos) done today asap -

What do you need them printing on?? I have the following papers (plus some other lighter weight photo/poster type papers)

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #16190580 (external link)
I have three Breathing Color papers: all in 24 inch wide rolls.

Elegance Velvet Platium Slightly textured fine art paper, great for landscapes, black & white portraits etc

Vibrance Metalic Terrific paper for the right image. Perfect for HDR images, brightly coloured pictures, pictures with metal or reflective surfaces & high contrast black & whites.

Lyve Canvas Fairly heavy canvas, should be varnished prior to stretching, landscapes, subtlety hued pictures & artistic portraits etc.

More details on these papers http://www.inkjetmedia​.co.nz/inkjet-media.html (external link)

lomenak
649 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 17, 2013 18:53 |  #5411

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #16216799 (external link)
What do you need them printing on?? I have the following papers (plus some other lighter weight photo/poster type papers)

Cheers Mark, I have sent you a PM.

tim
Light Bringer
50,929 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 17, 2013 20:06 |  #5412

Harvey Norman.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
3,994 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 17, 2013 20:08 |  #5413

Hah I tried to get large prints at harvey norman once and they couldnt do it. Printed about 20 copies and they were all junk.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

tim
Light Bringer
50,929 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 17, 2013 20:29 |  #5414

I've never used them, I just know they're open and claim to do prints.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,900 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 19, 2013 01:38 |  #5415

Hi Guys, Just back from 4 great days in Austria. Great mountain biking, exploring and very little photography.

Love reading your comments about Kirst Dave. I probably knew her the least as I never met her, but we talked a couple of times on the phone. A great lady. Seems sad that with all the medical advancements out there, it is still not possible to help some people.

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

sponsored links

856,295 views & 662 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.