Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 14 Aug 2013 (Wednesday) 17:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Turn yourself to the darkside now!!

Ball4
352 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 15, 2013 12:07 |  #16

Throw in a 5 year supply of sensor cleaning kit and I'm in.

sponsored links
KHAWACHEN
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 15, 2013 12:51 |  #17

Ball4 wrote in post #16210447 (external link)
Throw in a 5 year supply of sensor cleaning kit and I'm in.

That makes sense.

Nikon,
Are you reading this? :lol:

bettyn
Goldmember
3,439 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 15, 2013 13:03 |  #18

Have too many Canon lenses to switch.

My Gear: 6D, 7D, EOS-M w EF-M 22 f2 STM and EF-M 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM, 17-40L f4, 24-70L f2.8, 100 f2.8 non-IS macro, 70-200L f/4 IS, 400L f5.6,, Canon 1.4x II TC, Canon Speedlite 430 EX II, Better Beamer. Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod, 2 monopods, Manfrotto ballhead and pistol grip tripod heads.

CameraBuff
Goldmember
2,860 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 15, 2013 17:16 as a reply to  @ bettyn's post |  #19

I was ready to sell what little Canon gear I have and go over to the dark side because of the amazing DR on the D600. A Flickr friend sent me a Raw file that was exposed for the highlights and I played around with it in Lightroom 4. I was able to open the shadows without a sweat; no signs of any noise or fragments whatever even at a 100% crop. Blew my socks off; however, even at this reduced price, I would rather do manual blending in photoshop rather than cloning out all those oil spots. Looking at the Canon 6d now. Too bad there wasn't a 6d with that Sony sensor!

Sony A7r, Sony 16-35 f4, Canon 1d3, Canon 70-200 f4L, Sigma 150-600 contemporary, G1X, Lee filter holder and gnd's, Singh-Ray reverse gnd
Flickr (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 15, 2013 18:03 |  #20

CameraBuff wrote in post #16211315 (external link)
I was ready to sell what little Canon gear I have and go over to the dark side because of the amazing DR on the D600. A Flickr friend sent me a Raw file that was exposed for the highlights and I played around with it in Lightroom 4. I was able to open the shadows without a sweat; no signs of any noise or fragments whatever even at a 100% crop. Blew my socks off; however, even at this reduced price, I would rather do manual blending in photoshop rather than cloning out all those oil spots. Looking at the Canon 6d now. Too bad there wasn't a 6d with that Sony sensor!

If you're concerned about dust I would pick up a D800/E. My D600 has been used heavily and the dust on my copy has resolved itself even after 15k in actuations. But I haven't had any issues with oil at all. It's too bad this camera got a bad rap but, I used it regardless bcoz' of it's amazing IQ and DR.

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 15, 2013 18:08 |  #21

or if you just want an amazing IQ and the same if not a bit better DR, you guys can get the Sony RX-1 =D

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 16, 2013 15:00 |  #22

Here is a copy paste of some users who own the D600 over at FM. What sucks about the internet is that many have overblown the issue with oil and dust.

"I actually called and got thru to the correct tech dept at Nikon USA to pose this question about the 600 and 7000. He said it was a thing of the past, but when i pressed he never acknowledged the issues were anything more than dust, and that the reported incidents were at such a small rate that there was never a consideration to do a recall. So take this reply with a grain of salt. I did just buy a new D7000 and ran a bunch of pics thru and there is no dirty sensor or back/front focus issue whatsoever. I tend to think, and I could be wrong, that even though there's seemingly allot of cameras with these issues on the web, the perspective I have is that it is still very small. How many people buy one and spread all over the web that their camera, car, lawnmower, whatever works just fine, the bad reports propogate out more widespread. Case in point, I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado. The internet complaints spread like wildfire about what huge oil consumption my model has with the 5.3 with cylinder deactivation feature. Mine is just fine and millions of these were made. Good luck, sometimes ya just gotta' roll the dice I guess. On the flip side, nikon recalled a huge batch of batteries with only having seven reports worldwide, but the fact that they could melt and cause a fire was the difference rather than the worst case a lousy picture. Who knows... "

"The dust/oil issue on the D600 is somewhat overblown. I had to deal with it myself and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. You'll be missing out on one hell of a body if you decide to avoid it. "

You can read these from this post.
http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/12344​26 (external link)

sonofjesse
687 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 16, 2013 22:05 |  #23

I have a D600 and been pretty happy and haven't noticed big oil spots. Last I heard that was fixed in the production line. So a refurb or a later model should be fine. They also come with a warranty.

I think this oil spots was an issue, but a bit overblown that every single one didn't have a huge issue.

FeedBack
Feedback 2
Feedback 3
Feedback 4
Feedback 5

brettjrob
Dr. Goodness PHD
470 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 16, 2013 22:15 |  #24

Would be purchasing and selling off my 6D as we speak... if only Nikon had rough equivalents to the 17-40L and 70-200L/4 non-IS. Their loss, as I'd most likely be a permanent convert and purchase higher-end lenses in the future.

Nikon D610, D5100
Samyang 14/2.8 | Nikon 18-35G, 24-85G VR, 70-200/4G VR

Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | skyinmotion.com (external link)
Feedback

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,424 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 17, 2013 23:30 as a reply to  @ brettjrob's post |  #25

My best friend went Nikon and has the D600. His has the oil spots, but only a few. But he can't enjoy the 135L I have or a couple of other lenses where Canon has an edge. I've played with his Nikon and don't like the ergonomics. The DR isn't that much better that I would be able to justify dumping my collection of stellar Canon lenses to go Nikon.

The one thing he does have that I don't is the ability to use crop sensor lenses (DX) on his D600. Granted, it automatically reduces the sensor size, but it still performs well with DX lenses. Something Canon should adopt for EF-S lenses on FF bodies.

Mark J.
Gear

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 18, 2013 16:44 |  #26

M_Six wrote in post #16217475 (external link)
My best friend went Nikon and has the D600. His has the oil spots, but only a few. But he can't enjoy the 135L I have or a couple of other lenses where Canon has an edge. I've played with his Nikon and don't like the ergonomics. The DR isn't that much better that I would be able to justify dumping my collection of stellar Canon lenses to go Nikon.

The one thing he does have that I don't is the ability to use crop sensor lenses (DX) on his D600. Granted, it automatically reduces the sensor size, but it still performs well with DX lenses. Something Canon should adopt for EF-S lenses on FF bodies.

I have the Zeiss 135 ZF.2 and it is superb wide open over Canon's and Nikon's equivalent.

IMAGE: http://www.darklightimaging.com/img/s9/v88/p1823847456-5.jpg

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 18, 2013 17:05 |  #27

brettjrob wrote in post #16214865 (external link)
Would be purchasing and selling off my 6D as we speak... if only Nikon had rough equivalents to the 17-40L and 70-200L/4 non-IS. Their loss, as I'd most likely be a permanent convert and purchase higher-end lenses in the future.

Nikon has the 16-35 f4 VR and 70-200 f4 VR. No excuses! ;)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,424 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 18, 2013 18:44 |  #28

jdizzle wrote in post #16219179 (external link)
I have the Zeiss 135 ZF.2 and it is superb wide open over Canon's and Nikon's equivalent.

No doubt. It also costs twice as much, IIRC.

Mark J.
Gear

vaflower
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 18, 2013 18:47 |  #29

M_Six wrote in post #16219465 (external link)
No doubt. It also costs twice as much, IIRC.

and manual focus. 135L is a bargain considering.

Fuji XE-1, Zeiss ikon, Hasselblad; I love shooting film as a conceptual idea :)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 18, 2013 21:39 |  #30

vaflower wrote in post #16219476 (external link)
and manual focus. 135L is a bargain considering.

So what? Most portrait shots don't need AF! ;)

sponsored links

3,902 views & 0 likes for this thread
Turn yourself to the darkside now!!
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.