Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 21:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 85mm 1.8 hood.... loose?

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,639 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 16, 2013 16:01 |  #16

The F stops here wrote in post #16212096 (external link)
I only buy the canon hoods, yeah they may be expensive, but i bought a 100mm macro lens that came with an aftermarket hood and the fit was loose and the inside was pure plastic not the non-refelctive material canon uses so the thing was pretty much useless to me, thank god i didn't actually buy the hood...come to think of it...i don't buy anything 3rd party...hmmm

It's not a Canon vs aftermarket hood issue.

It's about the unusual (less solid feeling) hood attachment solution that Canon adopted for the 85's.

sponsored links
Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 16, 2013 16:19 |  #17

That's the way the 85mm hoods are. I actually prefer the quick-button locks instead of the rotate-to-lock type.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

melauer
207 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 16, 2013 17:16 |  #18

reefvilla wrote in post #16211934 (external link)
Just wondering if the canon hood mounts the same way..... Two buttons you squeeze and hook on the lens? I don't like how the hood spins and feels loose.

Oh, it doesn't just "feel" loose. I've owned my 85mm f/1.8 for less than three years and I'm on my third lens hood. :lol:

There are four "pins" which hold the hood on. You should be able to see them move if you look at the inside of the lens hood while squeezing the release spots. Are any of them broken by chance? I've had a hood stay on with just two undamaged pins, but just barely. If any of them are broken then perhaps buying a new hood would make it a tiny bit better?

Also, for what it is worth I found the one Adorama branded hood I owned to be a bit tighter than the two Canon hoods I've owned.

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 16, 2013 17:27 |  #19

OK... Got home from work and looked a little closer at my 24-105mm L lens..
This is why it is loose feeling and rattles... Once it's twisted onto the lens and gets to the part where it "locks" in to position, there is a slight gap between the two touching parts and it lets it move.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …hoodtight_zpsb2​dd42b3.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …ust/loose_zpsef​fc3f48.jpg (external link)

-----------Canon EOS R -----------

MaizeRage25
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 16, 2013 20:57 |  #20

reefvilla wrote in post #16211962 (external link)
So is it normal for the 24-105L hood once it is on to rattle and be loose as well?
It is a canon hood

Just picked up a 6D kit with the 24-105 (brand new) and mine is a little loose when rotated into place as well. It is a very tight fit as you rotate it, but once it pops into place there is a little play to it. It is not loose enough to move out of position, but can make a little rattling noise as I move the camera around. From looking online it seems like a lot of people have the same issue...too bad a new hood is $40 or I would try a new one.

I also have the 85 1.8, so I am used to my hoods wobbling around.

EDIT: Great pics of the issue, reefvilla. Seems to be a design tolerance issue between hood and lens.. Would love to see pics of someone's hood that is a tight fit.

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | 35mm f/2 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II
Full Gear List

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 16, 2013 21:10 as a reply to  @ MaizeRage25's post |  #21

I think I just might send mine into Canon. They sent me a shipping label and said they would replace it if they find it's faulty so I guess I have nothing to lose.

nightcat
Goldmember
4,533 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 16, 2013 22:00 |  #22

I believe the 85mm 1.8 and 100mm f2 both have the same hood. Those clip on hoods are awful. What was Canon thinking?

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 17, 2013 03:36 |  #23

You can use a screw in hood if you want something more solid. Just a 58mm threaded one for a medium telephoto should work. hundreds of them on ebay.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,639 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 18, 2013 07:59 |  #24

tkbslc wrote in post #16215296 (external link)
You can use a screw in hood if you want something more solid. Just a 58mm threaded one for a medium telephoto should work. hundreds of them on ebay.

A pretty lame solution for a leading brand customer... :(

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,206 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 18, 2013 11:41 |  #25

Worst hood ever IMO - I have the genuine Canon one and it rattles and wobbles around. It's almost as if the lens and/or hood was made by someone else to a different spec/design.

Kev

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 10, 2013 11:37 as a reply to  @ NinetyEight's post |  #26

So I'm having the worst time with Canon...

I sent the hood for my 24-105 L lens in at their request so they could try to fix it. That was on the 19th of August. I have never received an email or call saying they received it or here's the problem or Whatever.
I have emailed them a few times and that has went nowhere and I've called twice... First time the guy Finally found my repair order but had no clue on the status so he said someone will call you. They didn't.
Today I called and waited on hold for 14 mins. before I finally hung up. I run a business and don't have time to be on terminal hold.

I never received a Repair Number in any of the emails they have sent, only a case number.

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 10, 2013 12:26 |  #27

Yea,the official canon hood for the 85 sucks too.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 10, 2013 13:36 |  #28

Yeah, when I first got my 85mm and the matching Canon hood, I thought "There ain't no way this thing is going to hold up. It's gonna break the first time it gets a little bump." That was about ten years ago now and it's gotten bumped hard enough a few times to knock it off the lens, hasn't had an easy life and looks a little beat up now. But it's still in one piece and still does the job just fine.

I can imagine the Canon Repair Tech sitting there with that EW-83H for the 24-105mm on his bench in front, thinking, "Now what, exactly, am I supposed to do with this?" There really isn't much for them to take apart and repair. It might even fit just fine on another 24-105. I'd probably have just stuck a piece of tape on the lens or hood, or put a drop of glue on the hood or the lens, or used a Bic lighter to melt the plastic of the hood slightly to make the fit tighter... Or just managed somehow with it being slightly loose, so long as it didn't fall off or hang down in the way of taking a shot.

If you think a slight wiggle in the lens hood when it's locked in place is irritating, just wait until that 24-105 develops "zoom creep" or the red ring pops off, both of which are rather common occurances with that particular lens. Not that either of these or a little lens hood wiggle has any significant effect on taking photos with the lens!

Methinks folks are over-analyzing things a bit here.... After all, it's just a frickin' lens hood! Use em til you break them or lose them, then buy a replacement.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 10, 2013 14:19 |  #29

amfoto1 wrote in post #16285351 (external link)
Methinks folks are over-analyzing things a bit here.... After all, it's just a frickin' lens hood! Use em til you break them or lose them, then buy a replacement.

When you pay that much for a lens, you want it to be right no matter what is wrong. I bought this lens for shooting outside and I always use a lens hood. It wasn't just a little loose.
Glue, tape and a lighter might work for you, but I don't do bandaids.
Canon suggested I send it in for them to repair and if you look at my pictures, I see how to fix it correctly.

dnauer
529 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 10, 2013 16:50 |  #30

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16212085 (external link)
I bought an off-brand hood for my 85 1.8 years ago. I didn't like the sloppy fit so I bought a Canon hood. Now I have two sloppy fitting hoods. I find the side-pinch thing annoying, too.

This. I experienced the exact same thing.

sponsored links

5,600 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 85mm 1.8 hood.... loose?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.