Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 11:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where to go after the kit lens?

auto-clicker
801 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 17, 2013 10:18 |  #16

Not so much a "better" lense but a faster lense would generally allow some more creativity to be done ...generally

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,240 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 17, 2013 10:49 |  #17

Craign wrote in post #16212915 (external link)
You will know when you need a new lens - faster, wider, longer, etc. Let YOUR needs dictate what you need, not advice from a forum.

The lens you really want will be out of your budget. You might as well start a savings plan now.

i agree with everything here...once the kit lens starts to limit you, and you can't accomplish what you want, you'll know exactly what kind of lens you want

also in the photography world the sl1 is cheap...so start saving, it can get expensive :)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Sens0r
90 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 17, 2013 11:03 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #18

What's been told is undoubtedly correct, shoot until you get a feel of what you're missing then research and add another lens.

For me,
- I had the kit lens and I wanted more reach, so I bought a telephoto (Tamron 70-300 VC)

- Then I wanted clarity and sharpness, I thought the (Canon 50mm 1.8 II) is cheap and a must have.. So I got that..

- I was tired of shooting birds with the telephoto, so I got basic studio equipment, flashes, umbrella, beauty dish.. and just started learning!

- I know I'm traveling next year, so I'm saving for a general purpose lens, and I'll probably go with a 24-70mm

You'll know what to get and how to build "your own" system, just go with your instinct and have fun! ;)

My profile on 500px.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)
Canon 600D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD | YN-560II

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 17, 2013 21:27 |  #19

This is a good read.
http://digital-photography-school.co...than-you-think (external link)

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,386 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where to go after the kit lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.