Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 12 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D users, friends and their random OT B.S. (II)

this thread is locked
vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,071 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 17, 2013 01:55 |  #3916

what's the use of my 100L. the game must go on. :) i love the scooter CJ.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

sponsored links
CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 17, 2013 02:15 |  #3917

Thanks Vinz -- you can really do a lot with a single flash + reflector,

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 17, 2013 05:16 |  #3918

Canon_Lover wrote in post #16214746 (external link)
This is just one of some incredible scenery I captured this year at Mt. Rainier. I have a batch from this last week that's not processed yet, but easily the best photos I have ever taken. :D

Many photos focus stacked, stitched, and exposure blended. I think it took around 17 hours to put together.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …n_photography/9​525466585/  (external link)
Secret Garden (external link) by JohanEickmeyer.com (external link), on Flickr

Wow! Fantastic!

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 17, 2013 08:45 |  #3919

Ran 10 miles this morning so I treated myself to a graphics tablet. :) If I finish the half marathon I signed up for (9/28/2013) who know what I'll buy! LOL

Facebook (external link)

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 17, 2013 08:50 |  #3920

CJCMarquez wrote in post #16215180 (external link)
Whatever happened to the toys theme?

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/cjcmarquez/9529​359514/  (external link)
Yoda (external link) by cjcmarquez (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/cjcmarquez/9526​574939/  (external link)
Vespa (external link) by cjcmarquez (external link), on Flickr

Fun shots. Is that first one "yoda incepetion"? :)

Facebook (external link)

BurnUnit
822 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined May 2012

Aug 17, 2013 08:51 |  #3921

NewCreation wrote in post #16215629 (external link)
Ran 10 miles this morning so I treated myself to a graphics tablet. :) If I finish the half marathon I signed up for (9/28/2013) who know what I'll buy! LOL

Did you get one of the Monoprice tablets? If so, let us know what you think of it. I'm still might impressed with their 8x6 model. :cool:

Canon 60D+EFs 18-200, EFs 10-18, G5, A20 (retired), Pentax Optio Z10, Powershot A620 and a recently adopted Digital Rebel/300D

"They've introduced a new camera that's so advanced, you don't even need it!"
Steven Wright

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 17, 2013 08:58 |  #3922

BurnUnit wrote in post #16215644 (external link)
Did you get one of the Monoprice tablets? If so, let us know what you think of it. I'm still might impressed with their 8x6 model. :cool:

Yeah, I just got the 5.5 x4 (got it off amazon). I'm not sure how much I'll use it so I decided to start small. I'm not a big fan of doing editing but this might change my mind. If I do like it but want bigger, I'll just sell it and upgrade.

Facebook (external link)

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 17, 2013 10:04 as a reply to  @ NewCreation's post |  #3923

Vixen89 wrote in post #16214834 (external link)
this really is a lovely capture..I feel so relaxed just looking at this. great work like always!!

vinmunoz wrote in post #16215039 (external link)
Johan superb landscape as usual. how many images you stacked on that one?

NewCreation wrote in post #16215397 (external link)
Wow! Fantastic!

Glad you liked it, it sure is a pretty place. Lucky for you guys, you didn't have to lose 5 liters of blood to millions of mosquitoes to enjoy the view. :lol::lol:

My 500PX (external link)

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 17, 2013 10:21 |  #3924

NewCreation wrote in post #16215640 (external link)
Fun shots. Is that first one "yoda incepetion"? :)

Haha thanks. I think I prefer yodaception

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 17, 2013 11:13 |  #3925

My kid is a model! :) https://www.facebook.c​om/FeatherliteTrailers (external link) (she's in their cover photo)

Facebook (external link)

rpadula
278 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 17, 2013 11:32 |  #3926

Canon_Lover wrote in post #16214746 (external link)
This is just one of some incredible scenery I captured this year at Mt. Rainier. I have a batch from this last week that's not processed yet, but easily the best photos I have ever taken. :D

Many photos focus stacked, stitched, and exposure blended. I think it took around 17 hours to put together.

That is just stunning! It almost doesn't look like a photograph. More like a masterwork art painting.

-Rich
Canon 60D + EF 50mm f/1.8 II + EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 + EF 70-200 f/4

Meanderer
312 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 17, 2013 12:44 |  #3927

mine1 wrote in post #16214173 (external link)
So I am looking at buying a new laptop here in a month or so, and have one in mind but am open to any suggestions. My budget is around 1200 bucks (stretching it as it is for the one I have been looking at), and I want a 15 inch laptop. As far as I know the most intensive thing I will be doing on it is photo editing (which I like to do with lots of other pages open as well as a few Photoshop ones open), which is where my current laptop laggs behind (dell xps l502x, 2.5-3.1 gig I5, with a nvidia 540m 2 gig GPU, 750 gig 7200 rpm hd, and a 1356? by 738? screen).
http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6834312836 (external link)

This is the one I was looking at. It has a slower hd than my current one but I found a replacement 7200rpm drive for it for around 120 bucks. Also one of the reviews I read on this machine says you can swap out the 24 gig solid state hd for a larger one and use that to run your OS and applications like photoshop, do any of you guys know if that is true?

Immaculens wrote in post #16215155 (external link)
I will likely reluctantly get up to my max 8gb ram in the future (6gb now) since I keep reading that more ram is better with Lr...

of course, I don't understand it all - since my system only uses 40% of my ram with Lr 5 running, plus one or 2 web-browsers with several tabs open, and my email program... so I don't understand the 'more ram' thing...

I could upgrade my processor to quad-core... that could help...

mine1 wrote in post #16215161 (external link)
thing seem's to be even though we only use max 50% of our ram (6 gig) that useing 25% of 16 gig of ram is faster, not sure why).

Hey Guys, just in case you aren't aware, and as information for others. RAM and it's usability ....

IF you need to USE more than 4GB of RAM, you need to have a 64 bit processor AND be running 64 Bit Windows OS. You then also use or when purchasing, select the 64 bit version of the Programs. Like PS, it is in a 32 bit or 64 bit version. 64 bit machines and OS CAN run BOTH 32 bit & 64 bit programs but 32 bit systems can only run 32 bit.

32 Bit systems and 32 bit Windows versions are only capable of using 4GB Ram, and in fact once you deduct what they use just for the system, you are left with just 3GB to use.
64 bit versions can handle many GB of RAM.
Just because you can load more RAM into a 32 bit machine, does not mean you are actually getting to use it :( This is a common misunderstanding by the novice computer user.

I can't keep up with you guys! Get distracted by other urgent matters in life and whilst I quickly read the 60D threads pretty much daily, I have trouble finding the time to comment etc. :oops:
I wish I had more time to find you some good links to reading material ... these couple came up high on Google Search ..

http://msdn.microsoft.​com …l_memory_limits​_windows_7 (external link)

http://windows.microso​ft.com …requently-asked-questions (external link)

Rick.
G'day! I'm an Aussie with Permanent Residency in Canada. 60D | Canon 18-55mm IS | Canon 55-250mm IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 |Σ 70-200 EX DG OS |Σ 24-105 f4| Yongnuo 685 Flash | Yongnuo 560iii Flash | Yongnuo YN622C-TX Controller | pair Yongnuo RF-603C remote triggers
"It doesn't take me all day to do a day's work!"

mine1
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 17, 2013 13:21 |  #3928

Meanderer wrote in post #16216159 (external link)
Hey Guys, just in case you aren't aware, and as information for others. RAM and it's usability ....

IF you need to USE more than 4GB of RAM, you need to have a 64 bit processor AND be running 64 Bit Windows OS. You then also use or when purchasing, select the 64 bit version of the Programs. Like PS, it is in a 32 bit or 64 bit version. 64 bit machines and OS CAN run BOTH 32 bit & 64 bit programs but 32 bit systems can only run 32 bit.

32 Bit systems and 32 bit Windows versions are only capable of using 4GB Ram, and in fact once you deduct what they use just for the system, you are left with just 3GB to use.
64 bit versions can handle many GB of RAM.
Just because you can load more RAM into a 32 bit machine, does not mean you are actually getting to use it :( This is a common misunderstanding by the novice computer user.

I can't keep up with you guys! Get distracted by other urgent matters in life and whilst I quickly read the 60D threads pretty much daily, I have trouble finding the time to comment etc. :oops:
I wish I had more time to find you some good links to reading material ... these couple came up high on Google Search ..

http://msdn.microsoft.​com …l_memory_limits​_windows_7 (external link)

http://windows.microso​ft.com …requently-asked-questions (external link)

I did know that, but I honestly didn't even think to check if that machine was 64 bit. I know my old one was, and just kinda figured that something this new/expensive (500 bucks more than my last 64 bit machine. But now I can't seem to be able to find out for sure weather or not this is a 64 bit one. Any suggestions?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/81190407@N08/ (external link)
Canon 60d.Canon 18-135, 55-250 II, and 10-18 stm. and Benro C-1681t Travel Angel, with Sirui K20x head.

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,071 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 17, 2013 13:26 |  #3929

Rick is right. it has to be 64bit to enjoy more than 4gb ram. and OS and all software must be 64bit.

still practicing my pp with my old shot. learning is endless.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

Meanderer
312 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 17, 2013 14:11 |  #3930

mine1 wrote in post #16216250 (external link)
I did know that, but I honestly didn't even think to check if that machine was 64 bit. I know my old one was, and just kinda figured that something this new/expensive (500 bucks more than my last 64 bit machine. But now I can't seem to be able to find out for sure weather or not this is a 64 bit one. Any suggestions?

Your fine with this rig! i3, i5, i7 generation of Intel are 64bit. And you were pretty safe when buying a NEW machine that comes with more than 4 Gb Ram, then it is built for the purpose using the appropriate hardware and software.

I was just pointing this out mainly for others when talking about adding RAM to get better performance for Photoshop or Lightroom etc. That is where the mistake is made. Also, it is important for PLANNING / Evaluating the purchase of such software, that you get versions that are going to either make use of the extra performance capabilities etc. As an analogy, when one is considering buying a new Lens .... shouldn't one first consider if they are soon to be upgrading (I'd prefer to call it migrating to) a Full Frame from a Crop, then they buy a compatible Lens and be looking at how it will perform for the purpose it is being purchased?
Often I see members on here talking about their software and Operating Systems and I think, they must be patient people, but that is the tools they are prepared to work with. No skin off my nose, but I worry that they often waste money on upgrading RAM that isn't going to be effective or efficient.
More RAM is better ... but only if the computer is ACTUALLY able to use it.

With regards to the Lenovo you linked to, I'd have thought you could possibly do better? I haven't looked at specs on the latest models of 'puters, but experience tells me that good reliable bargain laptops are Toshiba and Acer. I'd never own a DELL or a HP. I base that on the machines I've had to help people and especially, where large numbers of units are being used in colleges and schools in Australia. Those two brands, Acer and Toshiba, seldom cause any problems. Dell? Thumbs down to them!
My 2 cents :oops:

Rick.
G'day! I'm an Aussie with Permanent Residency in Canada. 60D | Canon 18-55mm IS | Canon 55-250mm IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 |Σ 70-200 EX DG OS |Σ 24-105 f4| Yongnuo 685 Flash | Yongnuo 560iii Flash | Yongnuo YN622C-TX Controller | pair Yongnuo RF-603C remote triggers
"It doesn't take me all day to do a day's work!"

sponsored links

651,813 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D users, friends and their random OT B.S. (II)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.