Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Aug 2013 (Saturday) 14:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200 2.8L IS II - Only for pros?

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 17, 2013 20:48 |  #16

DanAnCan wrote in post #16217127 (external link)
If you really want the lens and can see yourself using it, go for it.. It's your money and if it makes you happy who's to say its wrong.. personal preference...

the 200 f2, however would be more arguably for pros :-)

Funny you say that. A friend of mine (also on this forum) who is not a pro but has money to burn bought the 200 f/2. I'm sorry but this topic altogether is silly. Justin burner is a musician; not a race car driver. Does that mean he shouldn't buy a Lamborghini? :p

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

sponsored links
snerd
662 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 17, 2013 21:00 |  #17

I'm a beginner photographer and it was the second lens I bought after the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. Then I bought an EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens, and just last weekend an EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. I may not be too good of a photographer just yet, but i do look good walking around with all that glass!! :cool:

Get it, it's no one's money but yours.

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 17, 2013 21:46 |  #18

Aressem wrote in post #16217174 (external link)
Funny you say that. A friend of mine (also on this forum) who is not a pro but has money to burn bought the 200 f/2. I'm sorry but this topic altogether is silly. Justin burner is a musician; not a race car driver. Does that mean he shouldn't buy a Lamborghini? :p

Exactly ! I have both and I'm no pro. I use to drive a Subaru STI, can I drive it to even 50% of its ability ? Probably not. It went from guitars to cars. Might get a telecaster vs stratocaster thread on potn soon lol. Anyways, get whatever you can afford !

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,132 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 17, 2013 22:07 |  #19

cdang wrote in post #16217290 (external link)
Exactly ! I have both and I'm no pro. I use to drive a Subaru STI, can I drive it to even 50% of its ability ? Probably not. It went from guitars to cars. Might get a telecaster vs stratocaster thread on potn soon lol. Anyways, get whatever you can afford !

oh hell I knew someone would bring up cars . you are "that guy" :D.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 17, 2013 22:09 |  #20

ugh fast cars are more like toys for those rich ppl to show off while a good lens is more of a tool to create art or at least try to

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 17, 2013 22:10 |  #21

Hey hey Aressem mentioned the Lamborghini first !

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,132 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 17, 2013 22:24 |  #22

cdang wrote in post #16217323 (external link)
Hey hey Aressem mentioned the Lamborghini first !

okay you're off the hook ;)!

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 17, 2013 22:27 |  #23

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #16217322 (external link)
ugh fast cars are more like toys for those rich ppl to show off while a good lens is more of a tool to create art or at least try to

maybe to you but my gear is art itself, sitting on the shelves of my humble abode so the maid can have something to dust off.

fast cars can also be tools for winning races and picking up womens. just because you don't know how to use a fast car doesn't mean I know how to use a camera.

just food thoughts.

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 17, 2013 22:57 |  #24

cdang wrote in post #16217290 (external link)

Guitars....... try high end saxophones, or even worse, high end Japanese flutes.

I got to noodle around on a Muramatsu 9K with the engraved headjoint a few years back, that thing has seriously bitchen tone.... Somewhere in the neighborhood of a new iQ280 digital back....

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 18, 2013 00:05 |  #25

Paulstw wrote in post #16216656 (external link)
Actually think tender surrender is his best song but each to their own. I'm rather passionate about my guitar too been playing it twenty years now. However vai would still spank me, I can live with that truth.

I dunno what davidc is talking about, both cameras and guitars... "Best quality" IQ isn't subjective and hell yeah Steve vai would beat most playing guitar... He's pro why wouldn't he? Nothing wrong with you 7d either.

Anyway buy the tools that u think u can use if u can afford them. Why would u not buy something if u know it would help you? You care that much about what others think of you? Your pictures will speak for themselves.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 18, 2013 01:08 |  #26

Paulstw wrote in post #16216415 (external link)
Everyone wants to get better, they may even find success in photography where they can leave a secure career, but for the rest of us not quite ready to take the plunge is it wrong to buy the best of gear because we can afford to?

I want IQ better than my Tamron 70-300 VC. Faster AF and I want to put good glass in front of my 7D. I want to shoot portraits, and editorial stuff coupled with it being a walk about street type longish focal length.

For me the options were the 70-200 f4, then I went up to the f4 IS to the point where I've just said to myself I'm going to get the 2.8L IS II. Not because I'm buying it for the sake of it. I want to produce images of the best quality.

I have a few indoor functions to photograph in the coming autumn months (Scotland) so I reckon the 2.8 IS will help out there.

I've read so many times its the best there is, so why not?

When I was 18 I bought a Gibson Les Paul Standard. My guitar skills increased so much that within 4 weeks I had learned the whole Appetite for Destruction album by Guns n Roses. I've always believed if you want to be your best you use the best of gear. Something I've read to the contrary with photography, but just wanted to get your opinion as seasoned pro's

Thanks

Paul

I don't see what making money from it has to do with it. Since when is the ability to make money from something the most important justification for things? What about enjoyment, fun, beauty, etc.?

Anyway, I believe that more non-pros than pros own stuff like that anyway, to be honest.

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 18, 2013 01:25 |  #27

I would tell any person that tells you only a pro can have one of those, to go jump in a lake.
They are either Jealous or a Snob. If you can afford it, without causing financial dificulties,
go for it. If you use it, you will learn how to use it to take better photos. If not, you will have
a nice lens to display on your trophy shelf. It's a great lens, has great IQ, and once you master
it, will produce great photos.

Now go buy it, and have fun taking photos. That's the whole purpose of having it.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

Paulstw
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 18, 2013 14:58 |  #28

Thanks for the advice folks. Sounds like a good plan to me. :)

mandon
51 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 18, 2013 16:16 |  #29

im n0t a pro but i got one...nice lens to have....takes sharp photos....and havent come across somebody to tell me why do you have that lens...thats for pros....but some probably think im a pro because i got that lens:D

550d gripped, 7d gripped,24 70L f2.8 , 100 L f2.8 macro, 70-200L f2.8 II, 12 24 sigma ex hsm dg, nifty fifty, fecked kit lens (repaired by canon for free) canon TC 2X III ,cybertick flash, cheap chinese remote control, trig master flash trigger, cheap tripod, jusino tripod, nissin 566

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,870 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 18, 2013 17:56 |  #30

I have found that of the few dozen serious photographers I know, it is the amateurs and hobbyists that have the better, more expensive gear. Why? Well, because they are the ones who have more money. The full-time professional photographers I know are not that well-heeled, and therefore need to buy gear based on a "return on investment" basis.

The most successful all-around photographer in my community uses two Fuji digital SLRs. They are over ten years old. He has not seen the need to upgrade to anything better as of yet because he can produce the images he needs to produce with those old Fujis.

The only full-time photographer on the staff of the community's biggest newspaper is shooting a Nikon D200, along with Nikon's more economic lenses. The newspaper's editor-in-chief and publisher uses a Canon Rebel.

One friend of mine is strictly a hobbyist, and owns a Canon 800mm f5.6, a Canon 500mm f4 (the brand new one), and a Canon 300mm f2.8, along with a 1D Mark 4 and a 40D. Another hobbyist friend just bought the new 600mm f4 and a 5D Mark 3. Yet another hobbyist friend has two 1Dx bodies, an 800mm f5.6 IS, a 500mm f4 IS, a 300mm f2.8, a 70-200mm f2.8 IS II, and a 24-105mm f4. Compare that to myself - I earn the lion's share of my living from photography, yet I am getting by on an old decrepit 5Dc, a 50D, a 24-105mm, a 100-400mm, and a 400 f2.8 IS (discontinued version).

So me, the "pro", is getting by with less than $10,000 of equipment, total - while my hobbyist friends have an average of over $25,000 of gear each.

Hobbyists often assume that the high-end gear is what the full-time pros use, but they would be wrong in many cases.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

9,070 views & 0 likes for this thread
70-200 2.8L IS II - Only for pros?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.