Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Apr 2007 (Tuesday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 29, 2007 00:43 |  #61

totalbeginner wrote in post #3278517 (external link)
Wow, how does that work? Do you compose and focus wide open, and then meter and shoot stopped down?

I wish.:lol:

Focus and compose wide open, then turn the ring on the lens to the pre-selected aperture (which you set manually), and shoot, and then open it up for the next shot. High speed shooting (3, 5 or 10 frames per second) wasn't even dreamed of then.

The camera had no light meter. Sunny 16 was the most accurate; that and a slide rule type calculator - by the way, one of the posters here has it available and it can be printed and assembled - still very useful. I think it's Hermeteo or 20DRoger.

For example, there were suggested settings for moonlight shots, candlelight shots, etc.

I was well off - I had a Sekonic incident light meter - which works very well - and in fact was the choice of pro photogs as I recall.

Those were the good old days perhaps, but I'm not nostalgic. But I will say, we learned a lot more about light, shutter speeds, f/stops, and film speed than anyone buying an automatic digital today.

Oh yes there was no auto focus either.:lol:

AF came along later and was for sissies.;)

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

sponsored links
E-K
983 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 29, 2007 08:16 |  #62

E-K wrote in post #3283242 (external link)
Deciding what to meter on and when is the fun part ;)

Hermeto wrote in post #3283454 (external link)
No, that is the most important part, IMHO!
Once you understand that, you can say that you have mastered Exposure..

Sorry, I was speaking in the vernacular there ;). By "fun" I meant the troublesome aspect.

e-k

steveathome
Goldmember
2,174 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 06, 2007 12:28 |  #63

sando wrote in post #3278935 (external link)
I cant see what all the fuss is about with this book.

Ditto,
I just gave my copy away, one of the most boring books I've bought to date.

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 06, 2007 23:46 |  #64

[QUOTE=steveathome;333​1166]

sando wrote in post #3278935 (external link)
I cant see what all the fuss is about with this book. quote]

Ditto,
I just gave my copy away, one of the most boring books I've bought to date.

Not everyone needs it; many, perhaps most, on this forum understand exposure.

I just hope you gave it to someone that will make good use of it, and won't show up here confusing exposure metering and focusing.;)

Derweissehai
Goldmember
2,834 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 07, 2007 01:38 |  #65

Love this book. Learned alot so far.

Sony A7, Mamiay 645AF & RZ67, Canon 7D & 40D, Pentax Spotomatic SP2, Ashai SuperTakamur 50mm 1.4, Profoto D1 1000 Air.
FLICKR (external link)

zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,006 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 07, 2007 05:58 |  #66

I think alot of the stuff in the book can be found on the net....places like here for example.. Its a great book though, esp for someone who just started down the path to being a photographer... it will definetly point them in the right direction.

As for the book being boring, I was a bit bored too.... the story went nowhere.. the main characters were lack-luster at best and the the story line was a complete failure, I was expecting a big finish but it just fizzled out at the end.....;)

http://www.theanimalha​ven.com (external link)
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hy (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​s (external link)

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 07, 2007 16:09 |  #67

zacker wrote in post #3335305 (external link)
I think alot of the stuff in the book can be found on the net....places like here for example.. Its a great book though, esp for someone who just started down the path to being a photographer... it will definetly point them in the right direction.

As for the book being boring, I was a bit bored too.... the story went nowhere.. the main characters were lack-luster at best and the the story line was a complete failure, I was expecting a big finish but it just fizzled out at the end.....;)

Last paragraph quite true - but oddly enough, the book seems to have a plot.;)

ClydeD
81 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 09, 2007 23:55 as a reply to  @ Glenn NK's post |  #68

Bryan teaches an online course, "Understanding Exposure."
http://www.ppsop.com/s​ite/enroll.html (external link)

I took the course. I felt is was worth the money. In the course he address many of the questions asked in this thread. The course also includes Q&A, in which you can ask as many questions as you want, and you will get answers.

rooeey
-Shorty-
2,554 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 04, 2007 20:19 |  #69

you could spend a lot of money at that web site.
But we didn't choose a cheap hobby did we ?
I have just gotten half way through Bryan's book 'understanding exposure'
What a winner i am learning so much i just have to start praciticing...

1D MK111 , 5D Classic,24-70F2.8, 16-35F2.8, 70-200F2.8 IS a 430EXII 2x 580EXII and a Mac...:cool:
http://s229.photobucke​t.com/albums/ee124/roo​eey/ (external link)

vondo
374 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 05, 2007 09:47 |  #70

I just bought this book and have now skimmed through the comments. I saw a lot of recommendations for this book, so my expectations were high. They weren't met, but I don't think it was a waste either.

I found the first 1/2 of the book rather boring since it covered the same basic exposure, relationship of f/ stop, shutter speed, and ISO that I've read at least a hundred times.

In the last 1/2 (or 1/3) of the book, there was some good stuff like the various times when metering off the sky (The Sky Brothers) or foliage (Mr. Green Jeans) was covered. I hadn't seen that so concise before. And while I've seen it before, his book actually got me to go outside and figure out that my palm really does meter one stop more than a grey card.

One thing in the beginning of the book was useful and that's a concise layout of the 7 basic scenes. This is what was confusing some earlier in the thread when he said he set a shutter and then metered off the sky adjusting the f-stop until correct exposure was reached. The seven are:

deep depth of field
shallow depth of field
who cares d.o.f.

macro

freeze action
panning
implied motion

So depending on what you want to do, you either pick an f-stop or pick a shutter speed. I knew this, but it was good to see it layed out so concisely.

So, while I didn't learn much from this, I'm sure the $20 I spent will help me get a few shots "right" that I didn't before and that will be well worth it. I'll have to check out the "seeing creatively" book referenced above as that's a problem I have. Are there any other suggestions for more "advanced" photographers? I wouldn't say I'm advanced, per se, but I've been shooting SLRs with print, slide, and digital now for almost 15 years and have even sold a few things here and there.

Canon 5DMkII, 7D, 40D, Elan 7E, EOS 10s, G12
50 f/1.8, 100 f/2, 400 f/5.6L,
18-55 IS, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS
Kenko 1.4x T-con, 430EX

bpietrzak
91 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 18, 2013 00:43 |  #71

a must read (and re-read) for anyone coming up to speed on photography

Brad
Canon 5D IV | 24-105 | 28-300 | 70-200 2.8 | 24 TS II

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 18, 2013 09:16 |  #72

It's certainly worth the $20 when a person is starting out. Once you get past that, try variations on this & see how it works for you: Need an exposure crutch?

And for those who ask "Why?": Post #47

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 18, 2013 18:17 |  #73

Wow, you gotta chuckle when you look a couple posts back: 2007:)!

However, the book "Understanding Exposure" is in fact a great book, even all these years later!

I'll just say, though, that the edition that was out at the time (the Second Edition) fell a bit short when it came to addressing digital photography. Get the book, but get the Third Edition!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

10,699 views & 0 likes for this thread
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.