Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 09 Aug 2013 (Friday) 20:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Software or Hardware issue?

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,673 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 09, 2013 20:22 |  #1

My computer runs like a speed demon for the most part. My only issue is when it comes out of sleep mode in certain cases.

Case #1: I put computer into sleep mode and let it sit for a few seconds, then turn it back on. Everything seems to work great!

Case #2: I put computer into sleep mode for several hours and then turn it back on. In this case the computer will stall for a fraction of a second every 15-20 seconds or so. It drives me bonkers when my mouse or PS brush hangs for even a split second.

I removed my video card and switched over to the integrated Intel graphics and driver. That made the hangups occur to a lesser degree, but they still persist.

I tried shutting down all programs before sleep and it doesn't make a difference, and no processes are doing anything unusual in task manager.

Could this be a hardware problem? I'm thinking maybe the memory has a hard time coming out of sleep mode after being suspended for a longer period of time? I can't imagine any software problem would change due to the amount of time in sleep mode.

Before I try some new memory sticks, any ideas on what is causing this?

I'm using a Dell XPS 8500 with Win 7, 8 gigs ram. I know Dell is notorious for using faulty memory sticks in their hardware, but this computer was given to me for free, so I can't complain too much. On a fresh boot-up this computer is fast and smooth as hell! :D

Thanks for any suggestions!

sponsored links
Canon_Lover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,673 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 10, 2013 12:51 |  #2

After intensive online searching, I have found that Dell does not recommend putting their desktops to sleep mode. Quite silly and probably just an excuse to deny any hardware issue.:lol:

I've tried using Hibernate mode instead, and it seems to work just fine!

I'm really starting to think the hardware (whatever bit it is) just can't cope with sleep mode.

I'm still on integrated graphics, but I will try putting the video card back in eventually to see what happens in hibernate mode. I don't do any gaming with my machine or video, so I may just leave it out, as the NEC Spectraview II software calibrates just fine with the Intel integrated graphics hardware and drivers.

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 10, 2013 13:21 |  #3

What you see there is suspend-to-disk not working right. A BIOS update might help.

Which OS? If you use Linux you have a suspend-to-disk mode that works independently of the BIOS.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 10, 2013 22:15 |  #4

I can't help resolve the issue, but my self built PC is put to sleep every evening and is only rebooted every 2-3 weeks, sleep mode has no problems at all.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 11, 2013 05:49 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

uOpt wrote in post #16196681 (external link)
What you see there is suspend-to-disk not working right. A BIOS update might help.

Which OS? If you use Linux you have a suspend-to-disk mode that works independently of the BIOS.

Already stated that the OP has Win 7

SkedAddled
Goldmember
2,632 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 13, 2013 20:15 |  #6

It's been my own experience that, since Windows 95, the various 'Sleep,' 'Hibernate' and similar functions are strictly hit-or-miss, even on identical hardware & software configurations, within a Windows environment. It matters not the maker of the hardware.
This remains true all the way up to at least Windows 7.

When it works, it normally works well.
When it has problems, it's usually impossible to resolve.
Of the occurances where it doesn't work as expected/desired, it's best to simply shut down, instead of trying to find a solution which will probably keep you jumping through endless hoops.

Craig5D4|50D|S3iS|AF:Σ10-20|Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF:Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|others
Support this exceptional forum
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 15, 2013 12:22 |  #7

SkedAddled wrote in post #16205778 (external link)
It's been my own experience that, since Windows 95, the various 'Sleep,' 'Hibernate' and similar functions are strictly hit-or-miss, even on identical hardware & software configurations, within a Windows environment. It matters not the maker of the hardware.
This remains true all the way up to at least Windows 7.

When it works, it normally works well.
When it has problems, it's usually impossible to resolve.
Of the occurances where it doesn't work as expected/desired, it's best to simply shut down, instead of trying to find a solution which will probably keep you jumping through endless hoops.

The problem here is that hardware drivers can ruin any kind of suspend mode. Kernel code like drivers actually has to cooperate and implement the hooks for the suspend and resume correct.

And we all know that companies like creative labs are not able to make drivers that actually work for all the things that drivers are supposed to do right.

Canon_Lover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,673 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 15, 2013 13:03 |  #8

Thanks for the replies.

There must be a difference in hardware for the cheaper high performance machines Dell makes compared to their more heavy duty machines like the ones we used in the Video Game industry for our work. They seem to weigh about twice as much and all of the hundreds of machines we went through would always work fine for months with sleep mode and never being shut down. Most common issue was hard drive fragmentation due to syncing huge version control depot builds multiple times a day in most cases. Hard drive failure was the most common problem.

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 15, 2013 13:22 |  #9

Canon_Lover wrote in post #16210617 (external link)
Thanks for the replies.

There must be a difference in hardware for the cheaper high performance machines Dell makes compared to their more heavy duty machines like the ones we used in the Video Game industry for our work. They seem to weigh about twice as much and all of the hundreds of machines we went through would always work fine for months with sleep mode and never being shut down. Most common issue was hard drive fragmentation due to syncing huge version control depot builds multiple times a day in most cases. Hard drive failure was the most common problem.

What does that have to do with the suspend problems?

Canon_Lover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,673 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 15, 2013 16:02 |  #10

uOpt wrote in post #16210684 (external link)
What does that have to do with the suspend problems?

Cheaper machine = less expected smooth operation. More expensive and heavier duty machine = less problems.

I read a lot of people with random suspend problems on the Dell XPS 8500 series, but from my own experience of using Dells at work and going through hundreds of various models, there has never been a suspend issue with those. Those professional workstation Dell models are far more reliable in my own experience.

I am just going to leave it be and use hibernate or shut down instead of sleep on my cheaper machine. My computer is just as fast as what we had at work, but there's obviously going to be shortcuts on a cheaper build, right?

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,474 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 15, 2013 21:17 |  #11

Do you have hibernate enabled? If so then disable it and see if it cures the problem. I've never heard of any significant issues with sleep mode, but I'd avoid hibernate which is known to be probelmatic on some systems. Hibernate also saves a file to the C-drive that is close in size to the amount of RAM you have installed, so if you use an SSD as your boot drive it's a huge waste of space.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 16, 2013 11:09 |  #12

Canon_Lover wrote in post #16211125 (external link)
I am just going to leave it be and use hibernate or shut down instead of sleep on my cheaper machine. My computer is just as fast as what we had at work, but there's obviously going to be shortcuts on a cheaper build, right?

My experience is opposite as far as the base computer is concerned. Various forms of sleeping have a better chance to work with simpler mainboards, presumably because there are less devices to screw up and they are sold more often so there is more problem data coming back.

When it comes to add-on devices, yes cheap brands tend to screw up the drivers they provide more and that can and will prevent suspend or make it crash on or after wakeup. However, as opposed to screwing up the mainboard BIOS that doesn't affect me because one of the biggest advantages of Linux and FreeBSD is that you have drivers written by operating system professionals, not lowest bidders hired guns that make a drivers work until the soundcard makes beep and then not caring how much damage to the overall OS they do.

And creative lab products aren't cheap either and have the worst driver problems.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 16, 2013 17:29 |  #13

Canon_Lover wrote in post #16210617 (external link)
Thanks for the replies.

As a Dell certified tech, I see this a good bit. In most cases it has do do with corruption due to a hardware 'tick'. Hardware ticks are classified as intermittent and usually do not require replacement unless a customer specifically requests it (and it's under replacement warranty). Most OEM's will actually change certain hardware and even chipsets at different times during a products life, which can be problematic when the original image may still be used. That can cause odd things to happen, but it won't rise to the level of replacement or re-imaging. Re-imaging is a big deal and OEMs will avoid it like the plague if they can get away with it. If it costs less to tell a customer to reinstall then they will do that instead.

Long story short, reinstall from scratch. That has about a 80% success rate, depending on model. And, do not use a system images, use a real Dell OEM install disk. If this doesn't solve the problem culprit is usually (in this order) - motherboard, video, hard drive, a faulty USB device, or network device that keeps sending 'wake' commands.

Canon_Lover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,673 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 16, 2013 20:06 |  #14

MaxxuM wrote in post #16214265 (external link)
As a Dell certified tech, I see this a good bit. In most cases it has do do with corruption due to a hardware 'tick'. Hardware ticks are classified as intermittent and usually do not require replacement unless a customer specifically requests it (and it's under replacement warranty). Most OEM's will actually change certain hardware and even chipsets at different times during a products life, which can be problematic when the original image may still be used. That can cause odd things to happen, but it won't rise to the level of replacement or re-imaging. Re-imaging is a big deal and OEMs will avoid it like the plague if they can get away with it. If it costs less to tell a customer to reinstall then they will do that instead.

Long story short, reinstall from scratch. That has about a 80% success rate, depending on model. And, do not use a system images, use a real Dell OEM install disk. If this doesn't solve the problem culprit is usually (in this order) - motherboard, video, hard drive, a faulty USB device, or network device that keeps sending 'wake' commands.

Well, there's about as a definitive answer as I could ever wish! I might send in my machine to get it fixed just out of principle and to make sure it works fine with the video card which was causing some issues (I'm on integrated graphics now). Of course after a try at a fresh system install, which wouldn't be a problem seeing as how my fast computer is only used for photo editing and has exactly two programs installed on it. :lol:

I assume Dell will send me install disks for free if the HD image instal does not work in resolving the issue?

Thanks! :cool:

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 18, 2013 03:15 |  #15

Canon_Lover wrote in post #16214618 (external link)
I assume Dell will send me install disks for free if the HD image instal does not work in resolving the issue?

Thanks! :cool:

You have to request them and usually at a small price, depending on your model, warranty and the originally packaged disks. Something most people don't know, but Dell computers will accept install dvd's from other Dells as long as it's in the same [model] family. It's hit or miss once you get outside a certain date. A good way to tell what family your install comes from is from the color of the dvd.

sponsored links

1,817 views & 0 likes for this thread
Software or Hardware issue?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.