Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 21 Apr 2008 (Monday) 10:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread

ahmad0420
363 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 18, 2013 08:24 |  #9601

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3772/9538530208_15e0122776_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …hadefotoworks/9​538530208/  (external link)
Audi R8 Spyder (external link) by Shade Fotoworks Automotive Photography (external link), on Flickr

Shade Fotoworks Automotive Photography | www.shadefotoworks.com (external link)
Sony a7R
Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS
Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss

sponsored links
jton
63 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 18, 2013 14:17 |  #9602

Nice work guys! Keep shooting and sharing!

-Jimmy | jton•media (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 19, 2013 22:25 |  #9603

Had a little fun with this one :)

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3817/9552686344_9f8cffe014_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/visualechos/9​552686344/  (external link)
The Getaway. (external link) by VisualEchos (external link), on Flickr

~Andrew from Rig-Pro (external link) Gallery (external link)

PJH
113 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 20, 2013 03:32 as a reply to  @ VisualEchos's post |  #9604

that looks awesome. Can we have a look behind the scenes of your editing process?

PKmode
505 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 20, 2013 09:25 |  #9605

Pretty awesome,VE!

Becoming a gear junkie.:rolleyes:

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 20, 2013 19:42 |  #9606

PJH wrote in post #16223505 (external link)
that looks awesome. Can we have a look behind the scenes of your editing process?

Sure, pretty simple really. I process each part of the shot separately for exposure/contrast, then combine. After that I use the clone and patch tools to remove the rig, and any shadows associated with it. I'll then drop in a sky if I need to, in this case it was an entire city :lol:. And lastly, I put all the finishing touches on it, with regards to overall exposure and color. Doing this step last tends to "melt" the scene together after a drop-in sky or city. That's pretty much it.

Konstantinos
25 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 20, 2013 20:06 |  #9607

Hey everyone,

I'm blown away at how long this thread has gotten, I remember I visited it ages ago and posted up a few shots. I was wondering if you guys could critique my rig and maybe offer some advice on things I can improve.

I'm currently using 3-4 poles, each one is around 4 feet in length. They all have threaded ends with metal couplings. The specs on the poles are:
OD: 1.65" (4.2cm)
Wall thickness: 0.1" (0.3cm)
Coupling size: 5" (12.7cm)
Threaded end length: 2" (5cm)
Weight of all 4 poles: 14 lbs (6.3 kg)

My issue is I get a lot of flex when I use all 4 poles. I recently set up a tension wire system, but haven't had a chance to use it just yet. I use two suction cups (75 lbs supporting weight each) but only have the 6" stud. I just ordered 2 Avenger baby swivels because it really limited me on the angles I was able to get only using the small studs.

Whenever I do rig shots, the car is fairly sharp, but the edges always appear fuzzy. I generally have the person drive the car at a really really low speed on a smooth surface, but still run into that problem a lot of times, even with just 3 poles.

Could it be that the OD on my poles is too small and allowing a lot of flex? Or the couplings are too small? Or a combination of both? Or should I just maybe try having the car pushed instead?

Any advice would be highly appreciated, thanks!

[www.digitalremix.net (external link)]

lcrazyaznl
133 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 21, 2013 00:19 |  #9608

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

rig pro 21 foot boom

great in tight places in nyc

http://jeffreyliuphoto​graphy.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
FB (external link)

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 21, 2013 07:39 |  #9609

Konstantinos wrote in post #16225976 (external link)
I generally have the person drive the car at a really really low speed on a smooth surface...

That's part of your problem for sure. Car should be off, and pulled with a cable, or parked on a hill and brake slowly released.

Konstantinos wrote in post #16225976 (external link)
Could it be that the OD on my poles is too small and allowing a lot of flex? Or the couplings are too small? Or a combination of both? Or should I just maybe try having the car pushed instead?

Could be all of it, and pushing is a LAST resort.

Do yourself a favor, buy my cable pull, or make your own, either is fine with me, but get with the program! :)

lcrazyaznl
133 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 21, 2013 09:43 |  #9610

Visual the cable tie that you made is great. I think I need a bigger handle =P

http://jeffreyliuphoto​graphy.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
FB (external link)

Street ­ Manor
102 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 21, 2013 10:56 |  #9611

visual echos, why should pushing the car be the last resort? i tend to push mine... lol just curious because i might try pulling instead

7D | Tamron 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 10-20 | Canon 24-105L
"None but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 21, 2013 11:11 |  #9612

Street Manor wrote in post #16227472 (external link)
visual echos, why should pushing the car be the last resort? i tend to push mine... lol just curious because i might try pulling instead

Think about it. When you push the car the rate of speed isn't even, and there is always, no matter how careful you are, an up-and-down motion. You're also wanting to rush, as you have to get the car to a certain speed before you jump out of the frame. All of it is amateur, use a cable pull or park on a hill and have the driver slowly release the brake. The difference is CONTROL. Releasing the brake, or pulling with a cable gives it to you, pushing does not.

remotehuman
I'm not into that
875 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 21, 2013 11:24 |  #9613

Alright guys I'm ready to put a setup together. I've read back about 20 pages and still I have a no idea what to get. Reading on the suction cups though people are saying to get the Avenger F1000 and also saying not to use those. What is the best cup to use? Also, what attachments should I use? I've read about the woods suction cups and those also look well made. Manfrotto 035 super clamps will be my attaching clamps of choice. Should I use a manfrotto magic arm or can I get away with a cheaper one?

5D4 - 5D - X100V - TS-E 24 3.5L II - 16-35 2.8L III - 24-70 2.8L II - 70-200 2.8L IS II
flickr (external link)

DJ ­ JIGGLER
260 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 21, 2013 13:36 |  #9614

remotehuman wrote in post #16227549 (external link)
Alright guys I'm ready to put a setup together. I've read back about 20 pages and still I have a no idea what to get. Reading on the suction cups though people are saying to get the Avenger F1000 and also saying not to use those. What is the best cup to use? Also, what attachments should I use? I've read about the woods suction cups and those also look well made. Manfrotto 035 super clamps will be my attaching clamps of choice. Should I use a manfrotto magic arm or can I get away with a cheaper one?

I use both, woods are the best and can even be attached to a slight curve where the F1000 cant the woods are a softer rubber as the F1000s are a harder rubber, sometimes I like the harder rubber seems like it’s a little more sturdy, I bought the F1000 before my wood cup so that’s why I use it but I’m looking to get another woods cup.. The woods are rated to hold 75 pounds and the F1000s are rated at 4.5 pounds I think? In my eyes the Woods are pro grade and the F1000s are consumer grade

here are some links if you go with the woods:

Suction cup: http://www.filmtools.c​om/6woodpowgrip.html (external link)
Spud for Swivel Pin http://www.filmtools.c​om/58babspudw381.html (external link)
Long Spud for Swivel Pin http://www.filmtools.c​om/5sp6low3feth.html (external link)
Swivel Pin http://www.amazon.com …e=as2&tag=photo​deals04-20 (external link)

I would go with the Magic arm it’s hanging your camera I would want something strong, also sometimes a super clamp with a ballhead on it works well to...

VisualEchos wrote in post #16226979 (external link)
That's part of your problem for sure. Car should be off, and pulled with a cable, or parked on a hill and brake slowly released.

Could be all of it, and pushing is a LAST resort.

Do yourself a favor, buy my cable pull, or make your own, either is fine with me, but get with the program! :)

I should probably start pulling too, i was watching this http://youtu.be/lULJEb​uTCi8?t=2m18s (external link) and even they were pulling

How long is your cable?

Canon 5D MKII Gripped, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS 50mm f/1.4, Extender EF 1.4X III, 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 580EX II x2, 600EX-RT

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 21, 2013 16:47 |  #9615

20 feet, but 25 or 30 feet might be a bit better in certain situations.

sponsored links

4,424,465 views & 537 likes for this thread
Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.