Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 May 2011 (Thursday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GND Buyers FAQ:

Careyst
223 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 18, 2013 19:02 |  #376

Snydremark wrote in post #16219297 (external link)
No reason you can't; you may get a weird color cast out of the combo, but even that should be easy enough to adjust in post that I wouldn't worry too much.

EDIT: The math isn't, necessarily, perfectly linear, though; you may find that it's closer to 18 stops or so in practice. Just take some trial and error to figure out your exposure times with that combo.

Great! Thanks for the reply!

flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link)
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Gripped |EF 70-200mm f/4L USM |Rokinon 14mm f/2.8]|EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 18, 2013 19:57 |  #377

xeodragon wrote in post #16219491 (external link)
Bought a Lee holder kit + adapter, however, it seems the adapter doesn't lock into my B+W circular UV filter because there's only enough threading for a lens cap on the B+W UV filter... is this normal? I could always rotate the holder CCW to ensure it doesn't unscrew itself, or remove the B+W UV filter while using the Lee system (the adapter locks into the lens threads no problem in this case), but I just wanted to confirm :). Thanks in advance!

Which B+W filter? They have several versions, some of different depths, to minimize vignetting with wide angle lenses.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 18, 2013 20:08 |  #378

Jon wrote in post #16219665 (external link)
Which B+W filter? They have several versions, some of different depths, to minimize vignetting with wide angle lenses.

B+W 77mm UV Haze MRC 010M Filter. It looks like there are only "two lines" worth of threads on the filter, rather than the usual full-length threads... Defect?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 18, 2013 20:39 |  #379

F-PRO or XS? My F-PRO looks to have about 2 rounds of threads though.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 18, 2013 21:01 |  #380

Jon wrote in post #16219766 (external link)
F-PRO or XS? My F-PRO looks to have about 2 rounds of threads though.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …252_77mm_UV_Haz​e_010.html (external link)

Not sure, but the photos from B&H seem to indicated staggered threads. Of course, that could be just their photo that's off.

Does your adapter lock into the one with two thread lines? Maybe I should look into it further, maybe speak with B+W or drop by my local camera store hmmmm...

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 19, 2013 11:06 |  #381

That's the F-PRO. Here (external link) it is from the manufacturer.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

fiebru1119
718 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 15, 2015 08:29 |  #382

Can someone clarify.. I can buy any ring set/filter holder correct? Not specifically the high priced brand name ones? What actually matters is paying for the glass.. Just making sure there's not something I'm missing after reading a few pages of this thread..

A7RIII | EF15/2.8 FE | 16-35/4.0LIS | 24/1.4L II | ZA55/1.8 | 24-105G OSS

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,231 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 22, 2015 05:51 |  #383

I'm hoping to invest in a Lee filter set soon and was hoping for some advice regarding the Filter Adapters. I've been looking at filter adapters from The Filter Dude (external link) on eBay.

From what I've read on many different sites including this one, the quality seems to be on par with Lee. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

lance60031x
ISO composure
264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 24, 2015 18:57 as a reply to  @ Dlee13's post |  #384

Filter dude is top notch. buy with confidence. I forgot the detials but I believe his or even made a tad stronger or better somehow.

7d mii, 5d miii, 70-200 f2.8 ii, 17-40 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 24-105 f4, 100 macro L, 300 f4 canon 50 1.4, canon 85 1.8, siggy 35 f1.4 siggy 50 1.4 A

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,231 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Dlee13.

Jan 24, 2015 20:46 as a reply to  @ lance60031x's post |  #385

Did he used to sell holders too? I'm definitely going to buy the holders from him, I can get two for the price of one. I'm real glad I found his store!

Also would people reccomend a .9 or .6 as a good starting point for buying a GND? I live in Australia so it's mostly strong sun which makes me lean towards the .9.

Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

lance60031x
ISO composure
264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 25, 2015 09:23 as a reply to  @ Dlee13's post |  #386

He may have - seen him a question. I am going to be doing more long exposure this year - photography new years resolution. You may want to check this guy on flickr - I think he is on this forum as well for inspiration.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/38181284@N06 (external link)

To your question - you may want to check out an online or smartphone app for ND calculator. Utilize your normal shutter speed and see how long the .9 or .6 are.

http://www.genkin.org/​apps/ndfilters/ (external link)

A great country you live in - never made to the Perth side but we loved the other side when we visited.

7d mii, 5d miii, 70-200 f2.8 ii, 17-40 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 24-105 f4, 100 macro L, 300 f4 canon 50 1.4, canon 85 1.8, siggy 35 f1.4 siggy 50 1.4 A

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,231 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 25, 2015 18:12 as a reply to  @ lance60031x's post |  #387

Thanks I will :-)

I've been following him for quite some time now and yes his stuff is inspirational!

I already have an app called "Long Exposure Calculator" and been going through it (I also already have a B+W 10 stop so I'm used to using it and long exposures). I think I may just go out with my camera one evening and test to see the stop difference on a typical sunset.

So did you visit Sydney? That's where all the fun and best sites are anyways, there's not really anything where I live  :p

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,112 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 27, 2015 17:15 |  #388

Dlee13 wrote in post #17394352 (external link)
I'm hoping to invest in a Lee filter set soon and was hoping for some advice regarding the Filter Adapters. I've been looking at filter adapters from The Filter Dude (external link) on eBay.

From what I've read on many different sites including this one, the quality seems to be on par with Lee. Does anyone have any experience with them?

the quality is not on par with LEE, however it's good enough. I use the same variant, however my brother uses LEE, and quality is not the same, lee is better.

If I were to do it again, I would get the authentic LEE holder, however, filter adapters I could use generic. Generally, generics screw on a little lame like generic filters and the lee rings screw on like B&W filters, but not a big deal. Those get put on at home anyhow.

For filters, I would buy 3 stop (0.9), 10 stop, and polarizer. If you must do GND's stick with the 3 stop soft, followed by rgnd 3 stop, then 3 stop hard. Really dont need anything else, you camera should have enough dynamic range to fill in the gaps.

GND's get in the way more often than not, I'm not really fond of them.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,231 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 27, 2015 21:33 |  #389

Charlie wrote in post #17403072 (external link)
the quality is not on par with LEE, however it's good enough. I use the same variant, however my brother uses LEE, and quality is not the same, lee is better.

If I were to do it again, I would get the authentic LEE holder, however, filter adapters I could use generic. Generally, generics screw on a little lame like generic filters and the lee rings screw on like B&W filters, but not a big deal. Those get put on at home anyhow.

For filters, I would buy 3 stop (0.9), 10 stop, and polarizer. If you must do GND's stick with the 3 stop soft, followed by rgnd 3 stop, then 3 stop hard. Really dont need anything else, you camera should have enough dynamic range to fill in the gaps.

GND's get in the way more often than not, I'm not really fond of them.

Thanks for the feedback. Considering the price difference, I think I'm happu the TFD's ones but when it comes to the actual holder I'll definetly get the Lee one.

Funny enough I don't like the way my b+w screws on, it can feel difficult and rough at times. I've never been unhappy with the IQ my B+W 110 produces, although the main reason I want the Lee system is to be able to use GND's, to stack and so it makes it easier using the filters with my different filter thread sizes.

Here in Aus we have very harsh sun and from what I've read on aus forums, many do find the .9 most useful. I've done test shots in different weather and confirmed the .9 and .6 will definitely get good use. The .3 seems useless to me if used by itself, it's easy enough to recover that detail in post.

Since you don't like using grads, do you bracket instead?

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,112 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 28, 2015 00:09 |  #390

Dlee13 wrote in post #17403496 (external link)
Thanks for the feedback. Considering the price difference, I think I'm happu the TFD's ones but when it comes to the actual holder I'll definetly get the Lee one.

Funny enough I don't like the way my b+w screws on, it can feel difficult and rough at times. I've never been unhappy with the IQ my B+W 110 produces, although the main reason I want the Lee system is to be able to use GND's, to stack and so it makes it easier using the filters with my different filter thread sizes.

Here in Aus we have very harsh sun and from what I've read on aus forums, many do find the .9 most useful. I've done test shots in different weather and confirmed the .9 and .6 will definitely get good use. The .3 seems useless to me if used by itself, it's easy enough to recover that detail in post.

Since you don't like using grads, do you bracket instead?

btw, I am a proponent of square ND's for the same reason, I can transfer them to any of my lenses.

I would start slowly with GND's to see if you like them. I made the mistake of getting a few at once..... bad mistake :-P

IMO filters should be bought in this order: 10 stop, 3 stop, 0.9 GND SE. Everything else can be bought down the line. If you light sunsets/sunrise, a reverse GND may be for you. I generally shoot sunrise/sunset simply because there's no better time, and I'de rather have 1 nice shot than 100 mediocre ones. My biggest issue with GND's are the fact that I hardly ever shoot with straight horizons, and post processed blends usually look better. It's a really good idea to learn to process that method because chances are, you'll have to fix GND's using a similar method.... so might as well skip it.

that said, I do carry a set of GND's, 0.9 SE, 0.9 HE, 0.9 RGND. I stick with Haida whenever possible, since they produce the best quality. Too bad they dont produce a 0.9 HE/RGND, so I use LEE and Hitech respectively. My hard ND's are Haida, and my square polarizer is by LEE. Haida just happens to cost the least and best quality: http://www.achim-sieger.de …itech-prostop-irnd-haida/ (external link) (I had similar results to that site, bought lee first but wasnt satisfied with the cast, then bought haida...)

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links

102,253 views & 3 likes for this thread
GND Buyers FAQ:
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.