Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Aug 2013 (Sunday) 16:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much debt are you in because of photography?

flowrider
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 18, 2013 18:42 |  #16

I've been in debt before and I'm not interested in being there anymore because of non-essential purchases. Now I buy whatever photo gear I want with whatever I earn through photography so I guess I'm self sufficient.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

sponsored links
KhanhD
"I need a grip . . . on my life"
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 18, 2013 18:44 |  #17

My photography self owes the rest of me $7k or so. I was pretty close to paying the debt off to myself, but then I bought another 5Diii/24-105 kit, 24-70ii, and some Alienbees.

Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)
iPhone 5s + Instagram (external link)

JDeluis
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 18, 2013 19:41 |  #18

Thankfully only $300 from the Canon EOS M deal I couldn't pass up.:D

Flickr Photostream (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,941 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 18, 2013 20:32 |  #19

How much debt am I in because of photography - $0. How much I've spent is a different story, but I've never gone in debt to buy anything photography related.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 18, 2013 20:43 |  #20

The only thing I'd ever take a loan out for is a house, and back when I had a mortgage I lived modestly so I could sock money away and pay it off as fast as possible. For everything else it's cash or I don't buy it.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,932 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 18, 2013 21:05 |  #21

I don't upgrade to anything unless I have got the money for it.

When I buy the item in the shop/online I use a visa card but before I press the submit button I make sure that I have got the money aside in the bank so when the bill comes in I just pay it. You shouldn't be getting in to dept for things like photography gear or computer gear or TVs etc. If you can't afford it then it's not needed.

You shouldn't get in to any kinda of dept to buy equipment and if your a working photographer then it's even more so. Even if your getting paid as photographer then you need to budget a little each job to save up and buy the gear. But you got to make sure that the gear is what's needed and not what you want.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 18, 2013 21:13 |  #22

Luckily, none. I went through being in debt for almost 30 years. Been debt free for a decade. That's what I get being in the same job for almost 35 years.

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 18, 2013 21:32 |  #23

This is strictly a hobby for me and I'll consider myself lucky if I can buy expensive lenses. I actually was just able to buy a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM. I had the cash for it and I can pay off my credit card at the end of the month. I would not go into debt for this hobby. If I was able to run this as a business, then I could justify taking out loans for new equipment. As a hobby, just no. I'll leave loans for things like a car, house, or something I absolutely need and cannot live without. Lenses are nice to have, but not essential.

In the future, if I see a lens I really want, I will save the money for it. I would have to consider it over things like taking an expensive vacation or something else that year. I'm also lucky to have a job that makes it a short time frame when I need to save for something mildly expensive.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

ejenner
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 18, 2013 21:33 |  #24

Higgs Boson wrote in post #16219136 (external link)
none. my cars, motorcycles, and photo gear are all paid in cash. when I couldn't pay cash for these items, I did not own these items. plain and simple.

Same here, no money in the bank = no food. Only exception was the house, but although I still have a mortgage 12 years later, I could pay it off.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 18, 2013 21:53 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

my parents taught me to buy everything in cash. I wondered a lot how so many people were geting brand new lenses, brand new top of the line bodies. The whole concept of leasing and financing was something I didn't learn of till last year. I figured everyone was just way more wealthier than I was :D

So, none. I always pay up front and in cash.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Salma
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 18, 2013 21:54 |  #26

Paulstw wrote in post #16219108 (external link)
We all know how expensive this hobby/job can be, however, for most of us its just simply a hobby, and we want the best of gear as much as anyone.

I just wondered how much debt photographers get into to fund their G.A.S or hobby so to speak.

Only asking because I'm about to fire a 70-200 2.8 IS II onto my credit card and its making feel a little ill lol.

Paul

I did that on Friday but I think i'm going to call them tomorrow and tell them to cancel :( it hasn't been dispatched yet.

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,153 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 18, 2013 21:58 |  #27

Zero.

Kids cost lots more - about $30K each of them per year after tax, anything within Canon range just look so dirt cheap compare to school bill!

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

drew
809 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 18, 2013 22:25 |  #28

To add on to the count: zero debt due to photography.

I suspect there is going to be little of the other side of this conversation going on in this thread. In general, I've found people much less willing to share that they were unable to exert enough self-control to not buy something without going into debt for it.

My wife and I do not go into debt on anything without prior agreement and we don't do revolving debt, period. We had a mortgage, two car payments and some technical college school bills (wife's from before we even dated). It's now down to two mortgage payments - one for our primary residence and one for a property we purchased for my mom a year ago - well before we knew she had lung cancer. So a gal from church is moving in there and we're happy to love her by asking for no rent in return. She'll probably want to pay something, but that's her choice.

7D | EOS M | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM | flickr (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 18, 2013 22:42 |  #29

I would never incur consumer debt to buy anything photography related. Not a good choice.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 18, 2013 22:46 |  #30

I only have student loans. I pay off my credit card monthly (although I use it to buy everything to rack up points. :cool:)

Christian

sponsored links

17,264 views & 0 likes for this thread
How much debt are you in because of photography?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.