Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 09 Aug 2013 (Friday) 11:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Zenfolio

GeeMack
778 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 09, 2013 11:31 |  #1

Is anyone using Zenfolio? I'm currently on Flickr but am leaning toward switching. Anyone have any experience they want to share? If you are using Zf, what do you like about it and what do you not? I'm thinking of starting with a Basic plan and eventually moving to their Premium plan.

7D, 50 f1.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 2x TC III, 580EX II, 430EX, 568EX II, 622C
glmphotos.zenfolio.com (external link)

sponsored links
stanclark
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 17, 2013 12:30 |  #2

GeeMack wrote in post #16194203 (external link)
Is anyone using Zenfolio? I'm currently on Flickr but am leaning toward switching. Anyone have any experience they want to share? If you are using Zf, what do you like about it and what do you not? I'm thinking of starting with a Basic plan and eventually moving to their Premium plan.

I now have Zenfolio and happy again....smugmug price is higher now looks like flickr/windows 8...

I lost my lab which is sad... Bay Lab gave my clients excellent service...Yet to try mpix lab

So if God made Man & Woman....whats his excuse for Nikon...

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,064 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 17, 2013 12:36 |  #3

I'm 100% Zen at www.photoqueststudio.c​om (external link) and like it.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 19, 2013 00:08 as a reply to  @ Tigerkn's post |  #4

Depends on what you are looking for. I am primarily on Zen, but I don't sell anything. It is strictly a vanity site. I enjoy the easy access to my images when I am out an want to show someone something that I shot. The app is o.k. , the mobile site is functional, and the main system is pretty good.

However, if page views are what you want, then zenfolio is not as good as flickr. Flickr has a developed sharing, community, type thing going. You can post your pics in other groups to increase your exposure. You can friend people and then they see your photos on their feed. I guess the best way to compare them is to say that zenfolio is a stand alone store front, people can find you if they look for you, or maybe some stumble in... however flickr is like a store in a busy mall. In many cases you are accessible by nearly everyone who walks by, and the odds of someone walking in just to look around are significantly higher.

The primary reason I am on zenfolio is that I like my domain name, and I used to manage my own galleries on my own webserver. When I decided that was too much work, I pointed it to zenfolio. From a professional service point of view, if you are selling, you almost must be on something other than flickr. It is a cleaner, no ads, all about you, and your images presentation.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

GeeMack
THREAD ­ STARTER
778 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 19, 2013 05:51 |  #5

Thanks guys. Right now I primarily shoot for family and friends. Many have asked for copies of my images (digital or print). I have my Flickr account set for 'family and friends' only so not to many strangers see my images. It's looking like Zen will serve my needs better and can eventually grow into a 'business' site for me. Thanks again.

7D, 50 f1.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 2x TC III, 580EX II, 430EX, 568EX II, 622C

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,662 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 19, 2013 07:00 |  #6

I like Zen,easy to use and not to expensive
If you use my referral code DRS-AMX-SHG I think you get a few bob off and I get a credit ( others have used it and as far as I am aware got a discount off the price)

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 19, 2013 07:30 |  #7

Very happy with my zenfolio experience.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

dbricks
609 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 19, 2013 10:58 |  #8

I really like zenfolio. I'm not a professional or anything, but it's been a great place for me to display my photos. You're able to upload large files, which I was unable to do when I had a Flickr account (maybe that's different now) and you are also able to upload HD videos.

Canon 7D | Rebel T2i | Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Canon 100-400L
http://davidbrickner.z​enfolio.com (external link)

HBOC
357 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 24, 2013 12:38 |  #9

I didn't renew my Zenfolio account. I didn't have any problems with Zenfolio (down time, etc) - however the lack of customization is pretty absurd and sad.

The examples they show to get people to sign up is misleading. Those people obviously paid someone to work within the confines of Zens coding or know how to do it themselves. Their forums are a joke - and googling how to change some of the coding comes with up zilch.

I am going to go the wordpress/photocrati/b​luehost way. I want something different and something that will help my photography stand out :)

Just my opinions and experiences.

FB (external link)
500px (external link)
Blog (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 25, 2013 03:56 |  #10

HBOC wrote in post #16236119 (external link)
I didn't renew my Zenfolio account. I didn't have any problems with Zenfolio (down time, etc) - however the lack of customization is pretty absurd and sad.

The examples they show to get people to sign up is misleading. Those people obviously paid someone to work within the confines of Zens coding or know how to do it themselves. Their forums are a joke - and googling how to change some of the coding comes with up zilch.

I am going to go the wordpress/photocrati/b​luehost way. I want something different and something that will help my photography stand out :)

As a distinct amateur I rather like the way Zenfolio have standardised their product. I don't want to have to spend time fiddling with it - I want what I've got, somewhere to show my images, end of story.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

j-mar
235 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 25, 2013 04:14 |  #11

For basic presentation, option to download originals, and selling, I think Zenfolio is pretty good. It's not without its flaws, but much better than Flickr in that regard. Flickr is okay but it's not really designed to be a platform to share photos with clients, it's more a place to share your photos with the world in a streaming format. Yeah there are privacy settings that allow you to limit who can see what, but it's cumbersome to manage that. With Zenfolio all that is much easier to manage, and it's much easier for my client to view, download or order products. Plus it looks a lot more professional when you have your own domain name. There are lots of other differences, and I use both, but I think you'll find Zenfolio to be much more useful for what your'e looking to do.

5D Mark II | S100
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

GeeMack
THREAD ­ STARTER
778 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 25, 2013 07:33 |  #12

Thank guys for all you insights. I appreciate your taking the time to help me out. I better understand the limits and issues with Zen but it seems to best fit my immediate needs better than other options. Thanks again.

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 26, 2013 07:20 |  #13

HBOC wrote in post #16236119 (external link)

I go both ways with this part of the conversation. I really like customizing, but I also want to not spend hours messing with my design. I do feel that the look at zenfolio is getting a little stale.

They are promissing to release an update "within weeks not months" here are 2 sneak peeks that show some of the final product possibilities.

Link (external link)

Link 2 (external link)

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,064 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 26, 2013 12:33 |  #14

I wish:
... there are more customization options to the front page.
... there is a way to retain the overall look of the entire site so the front page match with all pages on the menu.
... there is a way to separate Blogging (Wedding, Engagement, etc...)
Other than items listed above, I am very happy with Zenfolio.

What I've learned to put together my website by using Zenfolio in a few weeks could have taken months with wordpress.... (Learn how to build website using Wordpress is still on my to do list).

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

sarahashleyphotos
254 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 26, 2013 12:51 |  #15

Tigerkn wrote in post #16241401 (external link)
I wish:
... there are more customization options to the front page.
... there is a way to retain the overall look of the entire site so the front page match with all pages on the menu.
... there is a way to separate Blogging (Wedding, Engagement, etc...)
Other than items listed above, I am very happy with Zenfolio.

What I've learned to put together my website by using Zenfolio in a few weeks could have taken months with wordpress.... (Learn how to build website using Wordpress is still on my to do list).

I agree about customization luckily they are working on that and have posted sneek peaks to their facebook page. You can separate blog posts using tags with the search feature like I have done here http://www.sarahashley​photos.com/blog (external link). Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Edit- Also I spent about a day customizing my zen website and the same amount of time with my wordpress website www.virginiabeachweddi​ngphotos.com (external link). It takes time to build any kind of website but I only found wordpress to be slightly harder.

Canon 5D | Canon 40D | Canon 7D
10-22mm, 50mm f/1.4, 10-22mm, 75-300mm
sarahashleyphotos.com (external link)

sponsored links

6,356 views & 0 likes for this thread
Zenfolio
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.