Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 17 Aug 2013 (Saturday) 16:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how do you guys balance day time job with weekend wedding shoot?

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 19, 2013 08:47 |  #16

it was easy for a while, I just didn't have any other life :)
two jobs, little sleep, life was good though.

now I have a baby. talking about no sleep. day job/baby time/photography
that leaves little down time & I'm whooped! :)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

sponsored links
bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 19, 2013 08:50 |  #17

scorpio_e wrote in post #16217936 (external link)
Fortunately my wife helps with the culling and album design.

this is where I really need help. gotta get my wife to help instead of playing candy crush while i'm culling :)

There is no balancing. You work alot. You do have the option to turn gigs down :-).

true story. you just have to work hard and constantly.

You do have the option to turn gigs down :-).

thank god I turned down as many gigs as I did this summer because of the baby. still had enough booked before we found out we were pregnant that we are quite busy this summer.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

1000WordsPhotography
515 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 19, 2013 09:10 |  #18

I'm still working through it. As far as I can see there isn't any balance for a while. If you are aiming to build your photography business to replace your full time income then you work all the time. At this point I'm even taking vacation days to shoot midweek events.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 19, 2013 10:46 |  #19

If you are looking for life balance, starting your own business may not be the right choice. :D

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 19, 2013 11:56 |  #20

bigarchi wrote in post #16220954 (external link)
this is where I really need help. gotta get my wife to help instead of playing candy crush while i'm culling :)

TOO funny *LOL* My wife gets sidetracked on that game. If you could get her to cull, that is a HUGE help !!!!

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 19, 2013 12:12 |  #21

Phil V wrote in post #16220420 (external link)
2, What's a 'wedding season''? Whilst many photographers are busier in the height of summer, our weddings stretch right through the year. This year starting in March and stretching into December.

It's quite different here. The really busy season is June to September. May and October are pretty scattered for weddings. That is four months you gotta make your year's quota for a successful wedding business. For the other 8 months of the year, weddings booked in this time are just a bonus. It gets pretty stressful from a sales and workflow point of view, and all the wedding vendors are fighting for these precious few weekends to make their quotas to have a successful year.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

veritasimg
210 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 19, 2013 17:00 as a reply to  @ picturecrazy's post |  #22

It is tough. But I think I've arrived at a comfortable amount. Also am picking and choosing weddings that I want to shoot. Stuff that interests me. I doubt I will leave my FT job because the pension plan is too good. Also the benefits are great for my family.

Have begun outsourcing clerical activities, client calls, and album designs to my wife. She has now quit her day time job to help the business. The great thing is she can also take care of our two girls.

We also BOOK ourselves first.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link) | Our latest Works @ Veritas Images (external link) | Let's Get Social! (external link)

GooseberryVisuals
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 19, 2013 18:04 |  #23

I work a FT job and shoot weddings/engagements on the side.

It's not that bad. My Saturday's are shot, but I usually take Sunday completly off. Monday night I edit and that's that. I manage the rest of the business from my FT job during breaks and lunch.

Edit: I should also mention that from November-April it's very slow. A scattered family shoot and studio session here and there.

picard
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 19, 2013 19:16 |  #24

I am scared just reading you guys messages.

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 20, 2013 02:27 |  #25

Wedding season in New Zealand is Jan to April, only four months. There's a few on the two months bordering, but little else.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 20, 2013 03:33 |  #26

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16220518 (external link)
Over here there is pretty much a 3 month drop off in the winter where no one gets married. There are quite big differences in the seasons and people don't favour the cold. Unlike South Yorkshire (I'm from Sheffield) where the weather is pretty crappy all year around and Summer tends to be on a Thursday once a year.

I suppose, our 'winter' has some interest too, with Christmas themed weddings etc.

What made you leave Sheffield btw :lol:

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,607 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 20, 2013 09:09 |  #27

If I am working the whole weekend, I take the Monday off.

Gearlist

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 20, 2013 09:17 |  #28

Phil V wrote in post #16223507 (external link)
What made you leave Sheffield btw :lol:

Not much to stay for :D Still I can buy Henderson's relish at my local supermarket out her in Perth though :)

Peter

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,454 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 20, 2013 09:27 |  #29

picard wrote in post #16216717 (external link)

I am so exhausted from long commute 1 1/2 hr drive each way to work.

work from home some days
get another job
move closer

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

longspur
42 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 20, 2013 13:00 |  #30

Our weddings by month in 2013: Jan-0, Feb-2, Mar-1, Apr-3, May-4, Jun-5, Jul-2, Aug-3, Sep-0, Oct-2, Nov-1, Dec-2. Somewhat unpredictable (more in winter than fall this year), but as stated above, vendors offer discounts during winter months. This clearly doesn't apply worldwide, but our climate lends itself to year around wedding possibilities. However, most years have proven to be very slow in Dec, Jan, and Feb, while very busy in spring and fall months.

All that to say, manage finances to fit a sporadic income. Financial management should be required course in high school and college, but that's another debate.

Hi; I'm Robbie and, I have a thinking problem.
(2) 5D mk2, 40D, Canon 85, 100 macro, 50L, 24-70L, 16-35L, (2) 70-200L, (2) 580 EXII's, (2) Alienbees
www.copperhoundphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,611 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.