Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Aug 2013 (Monday) 08:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need advice with off camera flash and 6D

FIGJAM
32 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 19, 2013 08:57 |  #1

I have a 6D and 430EX II and I would like to use off camera flash to take some pictures of my 6 month old daughter. To get started I'm considering purchasing a Impact Quikbox Softbox Kit (24 x 24") from B&H. The kit includes the following items:

Impact Quikbox Softbox (24 x 24")
Impact Air-cushioned Light Stand (Black, 8')
Impact Umbrella Bracket
Impact Fabric Grid for 24 x 24" Quikbox

From what I have read so far, this seems to include the basics to get started.

I also understand that the 6D can not trigger an off camera flash so I am looking at purchasing the Yongnuo YN622 Wireless ETTL Flash Trigger Receiver Transmitter Transceiver. This seemed to be the cheapest option to get be able to use off camera flash without having to purchase a 600EX-RT or Pocket Wizard.

What are your opinions on the above equipment and am I missing anything to get started? I appreciate your help and look forward to posting some of the results and getting feedback.

Canon 6D | Canon 24-105mm f/4L | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 |

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,962 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 19, 2013 09:30 |  #2

Not only would you have to purchase one 600 but you would need another 600 or an STE3 to trigger the off camera 600. You are looking at at least $800 before taxes so the YN622 would be a better option for you right now unless you have a lot of money, you want to future proof and start getting into Canon RT. Many people have very good things to say about YN.

If you want to spend a little more the Phottix Odins get good praise. If I was starting out again I'd take a serious look at them but you can't go wrong with YN.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

protege
135 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 19, 2013 09:42 |  #3

FIGJAM wrote in post #16220971 (external link)
I have a 6D and 430EX II and I would like to use off camera flash to take some pictures of my 6 month old daughter. To get started I'm considering purchasing a Impact Quikbox Softbox Kit (24 x 24") from B&H. The kit includes the following items:

Impact Quikbox Softbox (24 x 24")
Impact Air-cushioned Light Stand (Black, 8')
Impact Umbrella Bracket
Impact Fabric Grid for 24 x 24" Quikbox

From what I have read so far, this seems to include the basics to get started.

I also understand that the 6D can not trigger an off camera flash so I am looking at purchasing the Yongnuo YN622 Wireless ETTL Flash Trigger Receiver Transmitter Transceiver. This seemed to be the cheapest option to get be able to use off camera flash without having to purchase a 600EX-RT or Pocket Wizard.

What are your opinions on the above equipment and am I missing anything to get started? I appreciate your help and look forward to posting some of the results and getting feedback.

The 622 is a good choice. I have a few and you'll like them. As for your softbox, you're better off with the chinese knockoffs. $40US shipped for the softbox and anywhere between $20-30 for the 8' stand. http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​4ab627114c (external link) Quality is the same because the one from B&H is made from China anyway.

FIGJAM
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 19, 2013 09:45 |  #4

digital paradise wrote in post #16221056 (external link)
Not only would you have to purchase one 600 but you would need another 600 or an STE3 to trigger the off camera 600. You are looking at at least $800 before taxes so the YN622 would be a better option for you right now unless you have a lot of money, you want to future proof and start getting into Canon RT. Many people have very good things to say about YN.

If you want to spend a little more the Phottix Odins get good praise. If I was starting out again I'd take a serious look at them but you can't go wrong with YN.

Thanks, I took a quick look at the Phottix Odin you mentioned and it's a nice jump in cost from what I'm currently looking at. I'll take another look at it once I get some more experience using off camera flash and am smart enough to know what it offers that I'm currently missing.

Also from the stand point of someone getting started with flash photography, is there any reason I would want the 630EX-RT vs the 430 I have now? I know that a professional may need the added features but any reason a photography hack like myself would need what the 630EX offers?

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,962 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 19, 2013 10:12 |  #5

The 600 is more powerful but so is a used 580 or 580II. That is about it. Canon RT offers less parts (triggers) and cables to fuss with so you have to ask if that is worth $800 to you? The group functions, etc are excellent features when you start to get more flashes. One flash can be on manual, another on ETTL, etc and you can adjust everything via the STE3 or the 600 when on camera.

I have 3 600's and an STE3. I had PCB cybersyncs which were excellent. No ETTL which I was OK with. I sold everything and decided to got Canon RT. Unless we move to a bigger house and I can set up a permanent studio with strobes I figure my new current system could be my last.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,962 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 19, 2013 10:13 |  #6

If you go with YN you can look for used 580's. Lot's around in the buy and sell here and at Fred Miranda.

Image Editing OK

FIGJAM
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 19, 2013 11:55 |  #7

digital paradise wrote in post #16221134 (external link)
The 600 is more powerful but so is a used 580 or 580II. That is about it. Canon RT offers less parts (triggers) and cables to fuss with so you have to ask if that is worth $800 to you? The group functions, etc are excellent features when you start to get more flashes. One flash can be on manual, another on ETTL, etc and you can adjust everything via the STE3 or the 600 when on camera.

I have 3 600's and an STE3. I had PCB cybersyncs which were excellent. No ETTL which I was OK with. I sold everything and decided to got Canon RT. Unless we move to a bigger house and I can set up a permanent studio with strobes I figure my new current system could be my last.

So is it possible to have a 600 (or 580ii) on the camera and a 430 off camera and trigger that way? Or do you have to have two 600s or 580ii (i.e., because the 600 attached to the camera will not control the 430 off camera)?

inkista
653 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 19, 2013 14:07 |  #8

FIGJAM wrote in post #16221439 (external link)
So is it possible to have a 600 (or 580ii) on the camera and a 430 off camera and trigger that way?

Yes.

You just need one master unit and one slave unit. The 430EX only has the slave capability. The 550EX/580EX/580EXII/60​0EX-RT has both master and slave capabilities. The Meta AF 58, Nissin Di-866, and YN-568EXII can also be used as masters or slaves. The ST-E2 is a master trigger in the light-based Canon system. The ST-E3-RT is a master trigger in the radio-based Canon system (of which, so far, only the 600-EX-RT can be a slave).

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,962 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 19, 2013 14:08 |  #9

You can have either the 600 or 580 on the camera and trigger the 430. You would wind up using the optical signal. The 580 whether it is a 580 or 580 II have only optical, is set to master and trigger your 430 when it is set to slave. The 600 can be set to optical or radio but since the the 430 is optical only then the 600 will have to set to optical. Important.

The 600 as a master can be set to either optical or radio. It cannot trigger an off camera 600 set to radio and a second off camera 580 (or 430) set to optical. You need need to set both the on camera 600 and off camera 600 to optical to trigger it and the 430.

The 430 has only slave capabilities.

Image Editing OK

FIGJAM
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 19, 2013 14:11 |  #10

inkista wrote in post #16221853 (external link)
Yes.

You just need one master unit and one slave unit. The 430EX only has the slave capability. The 550EX/580EX/580EXII/60​0EX-RT has both master and slave capabilities. The Meta AF 58, Nissin Di-866, and YN-568EXII can also be used as masters or slaves. The ST-E2 is a master trigger in the light-based Canon system. The ST-E3-RT is a master trigger in the radio-based Canon system (of which, so far, only the 600-EX-RT can be a slave).

Very helpful. Thanks for the quick education.

sponsored links

4,898 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need advice with off camera flash and 6D
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.