Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Aug 2013 (Wednesday) 17:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Images as pdf

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 15, 2013 15:11 as a reply to  @ post 16210919 |  #16

^ This is really interesting for me to read. I've been supplying TIFF files for off-set printing as long as I've been shooting digitally. Never occurred to me that things might be changing.:o

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

sponsored links
Mactosh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 15, 2013 16:43 |  #17

Thanks for the input guys,
i had a chat with him over the phone, and he said he would rather not say what they were for!
just that he needed pdf files no bigger than 4mb each...
but hey, if he's happy i'm happy i guess

Canon 600D, 30D
70-200L f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-55mm kit
430EXII
https://www.facebook.c​om/evans21photography (external link)

saturnin
Goldmember
1,987 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 15, 2013 17:54 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

^wow so many secrets from your client...lol. Just deliver what he needs :) shenanigans

http://www.saturninflo​yd.tumblr.com (external link) samples
http://www.asphaltjunk​iez.com (external link) - award winning filmmaker - 3 documentaries done, more to go. I'm not wasting this 1 life.
Gear is gear, gotta do wif what you got! This forum makes me bite my tongue like no other forum i've ever been on :)

saturnin
Goldmember
1,987 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 15, 2013 17:58 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

as a frequent user of printers

i always submit high rez 300+ dpi .tiffs(photos, posters, 11x17's etc - CMYK)

unless i'm doing a brochure of some sort, i'll do it in .pdf if necessary, otherwise its .illustartor files

this is just how i've been printing for the past 15+ years. NEVER AN ISSUE.

http://www.saturninflo​yd.tumblr.com (external link) samples
http://www.asphaltjunk​iez.com (external link) - award winning filmmaker - 3 documentaries done, more to go. I'm not wasting this 1 life.
Gear is gear, gotta do wif what you got! This forum makes me bite my tongue like no other forum i've ever been on :)

alex2131
214 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 19, 2013 15:24 |  #20

I have done some freelance for a printing company and yes, PDF is the format they use all the time, everything that they receive in other format are converted to PDF. So maybe thats the main reason he's asking PDF.

Canon 5DMKIV + Grip | 5DMKII + Grip | 85mm f/1.4L II | 50mm f/1.8 MKI | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | 24-105mm MKII IS f/4L | 580EXII | Extension Tube EF 25 II

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 20, 2013 09:35 |  #21

saturnin wrote in post #16211406 (external link)
as a frequent user of printers

i always submit high rez 300+ dpi .tiffs(photos, posters, 11x17's etc - CMYK)

unless i'm doing a brochure of some sort, i'll do it in .pdf if necessary, otherwise its .illustartor files

this is just how i've been printing for the past 15+ years. NEVER AN ISSUE.

You do know that the printer is converting them right? Wouldn't you want the control of the conversion on your end? At least to make sure nothing drops out or any color shifts with profiles, etc?

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 20, 2013 09:50 |  #22

I've supplied an image for a magazine cover this month and asked them what they wanted. I was told a JPEG was perfect.

But here you seem to be saying I could have given them the high res TIFF I had to hand?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 20, 2013 09:58 |  #23

Lowner wrote in post #16224158 (external link)
I've supplied an image for a magazine cover this month and asked them what they wanted. I was told a JPEG was perfect.

But here you seem to be saying I could have given them the high res TIFF I had to hand?

Wouldn't have mattered, The designer at the magazine would still convert it. A high res jpg would still be good quality for a cover due to printing resolutions and line screen.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

joshnoth
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 16, 2013 20:47 |  #24

Mactosh wrote in post #16208348 (external link)
So today i did some head shots for a guy who then requested all the images be given to him as a PDF file (external link) because he couldn't send Jpeg or PNG image files (external link).
Is this a normal request??
in a year or so of doing this no one has even asked me for PDF files before?

I am often asked to convert PDF to image but it is the first time to see convert image to PDF. A little strange.

amccomis
361 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 24, 2013 08:51 |  #25

For whatever's worth, most PDF encoders will actually zip compress a jpg and embed it within a PDF wrapper. If you look in photoshop at the save-as PDF dialogs, you'll see there are some
Advanced options for handling images.

Strange request but whatever...

Had gear, but sold it off. Starting back in with a SL1 / kit lens. Looking to expand the collection.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,932 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 25, 2013 07:09 |  #26

Always try not to give .jpgs for print just due a reason, that if I give .tiff, all colors are good and if they mess up - THEY mess up. More flexibility, I guess.

As for OP question - heh, that dude doesn't know what he needs, but doesn't want to admit it. Sometimes I troll them for some time till they're ready to admit and talk straight. But I am a bad person.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,657 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Dec 25, 2013 07:30 |  #27

Foodguy wrote in post #16210970 (external link)
^ This is really interesting for me to read. I've been supplying TIFF files for off-set printing as long as I've been shooting digitally. Never occurred to me that things might be changing.:o

The color on PDFs is not consistent. Most really good printers still want TIFFs. Some printers will except PDFs but just because they take them it doesn't mean it's the best method. I still send printers TIFFs.

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 25, 2013 16:24 |  #28

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16552800 (external link)
The color on PDFs is not consistent. Most really good printers still want TIFFs. Some printers will except PDFs but just because they take them it doesn't mean it's the best method. I still send printers TIFFs.

15 years in publishing I can say this is not true. I deal with two of the larger printers internationally in Chennai and in the states and they both require PDF workflows. This is large volume printing. Doesn't mean they can't take them but there is an added expense processing them into their workflow systems.

Maybe small old school shops still want tiffs but that has nothing to do with color consistency in PDFs. Most likely due to manual manipulation rather than an automated workflow. If there is a color inconsistency, that is normally due to set up issues on the user end. If a printer can't accept or properly print a PDF, then it is time to find a new printer.

Gear List

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,657 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Dec 25, 2013 16:50 |  #29

It's not printer it's the file itself.

sponsored links

3,439 views & 0 likes for this thread
Images as pdf
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.