Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Aug 2013 (Saturday) 22:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

250Ws monolight, Bowens or Elinchrome?

Vitoflo
268 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 17, 2013 22:17 |  #1

Hi,

I am considering buying a 250W/s flash monolight to do one-light portrait indoor mostly, or for illuminating the background when I use the fluorescent lamps as a key/fill lights. When it comes to one-light portrait I will be using a softlighter (umbrella + difusser) or a 65 degree parabolic reflector, that's all. So, this is why I need just ONE light, not that much powerfull (250W/s) and not that expensive.

It comes down to the 250Ws BXR by Elinchrome the 250Ws Gemini by Bowens. The only difference on the tech specs I have found so far is that the bowens has a 250W modeling lamp while the BXR has only a 100W modeling lamp; I don't know if that's a big deal though.

Well, the Gemini has 1/10 of a stop adjustment steps while the BXR only works with full stops. The BXR is a little cheaper yet appears well built. Are there any differences in the flash bulbs?

Could anyone please point me to the right direction?

Thanks ever so much!

sponsored links
pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 18, 2013 17:45 |  #2

For the money, it looks like these are about $550 per strobe?

You could snatch the speedotron Force10 at keh for $465 which is a lot more power, much more ruggedly built, and you can roast find a lot of modifiers for it. Cheaper, more power, and faster recycling!

Ultimately the 1/10th stop power adjustment feature is not going to be something you use a lot. I can't think of a time I've used 250 watt/seconds!

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Stan_Fox
121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 19, 2013 07:50 |  #3

The Bowens are pretty bullet-proof, and yes, you will enjoy 10th stop when shooting portraits. One of the nice things about the Gemini (or any of the Bowens / Calumet style units) is there are a lot of inexpensive accessories & modifiers available.

For shooting portraits, especially solo / head shots, 250ws is more than enough. Unless of course you like shooting at f/16 or smaller :-)

One of my all time favorite systems was the Photogenic Studiomaster II 200ws pack/head combo. Absolutely brilliant quality of light and worked very well with many different modifiers.

Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed! Good luck!

Chief Bottle Washer
www.foxworthystudios.c​om (external link)
www.fromthefox.wordpre​ss.com (external link)
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom

Vitoflo
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 20, 2013 14:50 |  #4

The thing with the 250Ws BXR is that it comes with an E27 100W modeling lamp and if I understand correctly, that keeps me from using the dome satin on the bulb.

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 20, 2013 17:03 |  #5

I assume you meant to say the Elinchrom "BRX" 250. If so, it has 1/10th of stop power adjustments. The predecessor, BXRI, also adjusts in 1/10th stops.

You can also use a converter for the modeling lamp if you want to use the smaller profile G type lamps. Not sure about clearance for the frosted dome though.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_23101_2_Pin_La​mp_to.html (external link)

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

Vitoflo
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 20, 2013 18:30 |  #6

OneyedJack wrote in post #16225455 (external link)
I assume you meant to say the Elinchrom "BRX" 250

Yes, http://www.elinchrom.c​om/product/BRX-250.html (external link)

Vitoflo
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 20, 2013 20:51 as a reply to  @ Vitoflo's post |  #7

A couple of questions about tech datas when it comes to monolight flash units: the color temperature is said to be at 5360K at max power; does it mean that at lower power the color temp may go down? Also, the guide number (F-stop) for the BRX 250 is said to be at 64 (1m, 100 ISO, 1 meter, with reflector 48 degrees); what's the shutter speed value when it comes to this sort of measures?

Thanks

sponsored links

1,747 views & 0 likes for this thread
250Ws monolight, Bowens or Elinchrome?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.