Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 11:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OP/TECH Pro strap over shoulder?

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,723 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 17, 2013 13:21 |  #31

I use both the Optech and Black Rapid straps. To me the downside of using the optech strap is the amount of "bounce" when a heavy body and lens is attached.

When carrying two bodies I use both straps, the lighter camera on the optech.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

sponsored links
Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 18, 2013 04:45 |  #32

shooter00 wrote in post #16216126 (external link)
You can save yourself a lot of money if you buy the Velcro in bulk and cut it to the size needed.
I bought this at Home Depot and cut it to Aprox. 4" lengths and was able to do every quick connect I own which is a bunch and still have plenty left for future use....
http://www.homedepot.c​om …rap-Strap-90340/202261925 (external link)

Exactly what I do ...

Max

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

wunhang
726 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 18, 2013 13:21 |  #33

C Scott IV wrote in post #16215557 (external link)
The Op/Tech sling strap has two connection points to the camera.

Edit: The Web page says "The second Uni-Loop connector is only used on cameras with a second connection area located on the right side (not top) or on a Pro Battery Grip. Most cameras will only use one connection." Not sure why they say that. It doesn't appear that anything is stopping you from using both connection points. Or possibly using both connectors on one side.

I have the sling. What I did was get one of the longer connector straps and use it on the opposite slot. It hangs loosely off that slot with the weight all on the primary slot, but it gives a piece of mind that if I goof and unclip the primary, I won't have the camera crashing to the ground.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

toolman21
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 19, 2013 10:46 |  #34

Maxdave wrote in post #16215669 (external link)
I have on occasion used a smallish carabiner clip through the pro loop connection cord connection and then around a belt loop to reduce motion and "swing out" when I bend forward.

Maxdave

CanonCameraFan wrote in post #16214514 (external link)
I keep my right hand gently on the camera whenever I move. A sling is a sling!

Check this video for an option: http://www.youtube.com …er_embedded&v=V​H5KAnxZaaY (external link)

Interesting thought. Either of those sounds like good options as well. I will be having twins in Jan and figure I will be doing a considerable amount of bending over to deal with them while out, thus the reason I was worried about camera movement. Thanks.

Toolman21 - Canon 60d & T1i (sold) - Canon 17-55 | Canon 17-85 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Sigma 10-20 | Canon 55-250
My Flicker (external link) | Like me on Facebook to follow my He-Man 365 nonsense (external link)| www.heman365.com (external link)https://www.facebook.c​om …n-Digital/34796106523515​2 (external link)

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,210 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 19, 2013 11:29 |  #35

wanner wrote in post #16210859 (external link)
Yeah, fastening it to the tripod mount doesn't appeal to me either.

However It's not the length that worries me but rather the way it's fastened to the strap (the regular camera strap mounts on each side). What I'm wondering is if it works good to pull the camera from hanging on your side up to your eyes, or I'd the strap will get in the way and you have to rearrange it.

I use the Op/Tech straps on both a 5D3 and 7D, and quite often carry the camera over my shoulder. I have never had an issue using the camera when carrying it this way -- the strap never gets in my way. I have even carried both cameras -- one around my neck, and the other over the shoulder -- without any problems.

The Black Rapid system doesn't appeal to me, either, due to its use of the tripod mount.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 19, 2013 21:45 |  #36

i also will put it over the shoulder when walking in between shots. its a great strap.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

clacson
60 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 21, 2013 06:31 as a reply to  @ pdrober2's post |  #37

I got my Op/tech Utility Strap - Sling today. It has the Op/tech quality and a nice strap if use it on your left shoulder and the camera is on your right side.
I have accustomed to using my gear on my left side. Using this way the strap pad works but all the connectors in the strap sling are the wrong way round. A little disappointing first experiments. :confused:

| Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 DG II HSM |
| Canon EOS M | EF-M 11-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EOS EF-M adapter |
| Film Age: Canon EOS 33v, Canon EOS 5 |

Madwrench
633 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 21, 2013 10:32 as a reply to  @ post 16212559 |  #38

I bought that one as well. $20 on Amazon a couple of weeks ago. I've only used it a couple of times, but it works well so far.

shooter00
151 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 21, 2013 11:29 |  #39

clacson wrote in post #16226876 (external link)
I got my Op/tech Utility Strap - Sling today. It has the Op/tech quality and a nice strap if use it on your left shoulder and the camera is on your right side.
I have accustomed to using my gear on my left side. Using this way the strap pad works but all the connectors in the strap sling are the wrong way round. A little disappointing first experiments. :confused:

I know this doesn't help your situation right now but Op-Tech has a new swivel adapter in prototype that will solve the problem in the future.
It's due out in the next few months....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,795 posts
Gallery: 498 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 21, 2013 12:05 |  #40

shooter00 wrote in post #16227563 (external link)
I know this doesn't help your situation right now but Op-Tech has a new swivel adapter in prototype that will solve the problem in the future.
It's due out in the next few months....

I use the sling with the camera on the left too. Glad they are working on those adapters. Thanks for sharing.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

rudou
55 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 21, 2013 15:04 |  #41

I started out with the OP/Tech SOS strap which I have now on all bags. Now I am on the utility strap with black rapid components. I really like the bounce, I feel that it helps with heavier loads.

As for the velcro strips, whichever you use, I think they are essential to the clips on the OP/Tech straps. I learned first hand when the clip came loose (my fault) and the body and flash went straight for the ground. Luckily the flash was on (turned 90 degrees and fell straight to the gravel on the plastic) hanging completly upside down, sustained only superficial scratches to the flash.

I started with a 50D/gripped with either a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 or 24-105L hanging from the tripod mount.
I personally have not had any issues using the tripod mount as the sole point of support. I carry the camera on my side with my arm over the camera or slightly push the camera to my back. I especially like the ability to swing the camera from my side to shooting position
I never gave it any thought that using the tripod mount could be an issue.
Should I be concerned about using the tripod mount only ????

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 21, 2013 15:26 |  #42

I have got to wear my camera like a purse, thus the BR works for me. I have a classic Optech on my T2i, and when paired with a lightweight lens, its a great strap. But slogging through the jungle, climbing trees with my gripped 6D, I needed a better solution. Some might not care for the attachment mechanism that the sling straps use, but I have had zero fears of it failing. I just ensure its fastened tight. I had a Sun Sniper for a day, but it went back. Materials and construction, its built much better than the BR, but it also feels like it could use a serious update in its design. The shoulder pad is way too bulky and the extra strap length management was essentially non-existent, meaning the more you shorten the strap, the more excess strap you have just deal with. The BR has a newer, more modern way of dealing with the length of strap that gets created

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

shooter00
151 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 21, 2013 17:10 |  #43

rudou wrote in post #16228119 (external link)
I started out with the OP/Tech SOS strap which I have now on all bags. Now I am on the utility strap with black rapid components. I really like the bounce, I feel that it helps with heavier loads.

As for the velcro strips, whichever you use, I think they are essential to the clips on the OP/Tech straps. I learned first hand when the clip came loose (my fault) and the body and flash went straight for the ground. Luckily the flash was on (turned 90 degrees and fell straight to the gravel on the plastic) hanging completly upside down, sustained only superficial scratches to the flash.

I started with a 50D/gripped with either a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 or 24-105L hanging from the tripod mount.
I personally have not had any issues using the tripod mount as the sole point of support. I carry the camera on my side with my arm over the camera or slightly push the camera to my back. I especially like the ability to swing the camera from my side to shooting position
I never gave it any thought that using the tripod mount could be an issue.
Should I be concerned about using the tripod mount only ????

You might not ever have a problem but if you do you'll be the first to know !Crash $$$!
It's just peace of mind for me having small security strap attached to a strap lug on the camera back to a point on the sling slider....That's just me YMMV.

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 21, 2013 20:12 |  #44

just double check the integrity of the connection frequently and you ll be fine. I have read of people having issues, but a simple check would save them from winning the camera darwin awards.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

rudou
55 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 21, 2013 21:51 |  #45

I was wondering if anyone has heard of the tripod mount giving out?

sponsored links

6,460 views & 0 likes for this thread
OP/TECH Pro strap over shoulder?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.