Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 21 Aug 2013 (Wednesday) 06:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A n00b's car photography

paintcheck
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 21, 2013 06:54 |  #1

So, I have an interest in cars. Not really the inner workings of them, but their aesthetic features. For the last several years I have been fortunate to attend a local event called Indianapolis Cars and Coffee. In the years since I've been attending, we have outgrown two parking lots and are now quickly outgrowing our third.

Up until I purchased my camera, everything I shot was with my cell phone(s) (blackberry, Samsung Nexus, Samsung Note 2). Now that I have a real camera, I have been trying to use it more and get accustom to its features and options.

I know some of these pictures are terrible, but for being a n00b, I thought I did pretty well! Certainly not bw! but some do make nice pc backgrounds. Between work and life, my only time I get behind the lens is at this event so my learning curve is going to be a bit long/higher since I don't have alot of time.

I hope you guys enjoy these! Some very awesome cars show up every week thats for sure, and some of the nicest people you'll meet! Even some local Celeb's like Graham Rahal and Conor Daly make appearances from time to time!

Cars and Coffee Photos! (external link)

Camera(s): 7D, (wishing for a 5dm3)
Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
Cards: 16GB/32Gb SanDisks CF

sponsored links
YFZ_52
475 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 21, 2013 07:17 |  #2

I just had a quick look through your photostream on flickr.

Some of your detail work is great and I'm glad you get in closer to areas on the car that make it unique. Taking full shots of the car are essential but sometimes the detail photos really explain a story about the car in a way a wide shot can't - Keep that up! Your images are sharp and not blurry, exposures are all quite well! Just keep practising and going to car meets!

My suggestions to improve your work are:

Get down lower to shoot those shots sometimes. I've noticed you take lots of your exterior shots at standing height. Don't be scared to get down on one knee to get a different perspective that most people wont get when walking by the car. Also watch those front ends. I noticed lots of your front end shots, you slightly cut off the lip/skirts of the cars. Try to keep them in shot unless you're going in closer for grill detail etc. Pictures are what you make of them so there is no real right or wrong way, just letting you know what would help make it look nicer. Also wait until cars leave the show and play with some slower shutter speeds and pan cars. It gives you a cool effect that they are moving really fast! :p Also a note, watch poles and trees in the background. If you're not shooting with a shallow depth of field it's easy to have poles sticking out of the roof of the car, just try to position yourself to minimize this happening. Sometimes you just can't help it!

You're doing great and you have had the chance to shoot some pretty awesome cars! I'm not a "pro" by any means but have been shooting cars for a few years now. I posted my Automotive set on flickr for you to see. Figure since I'm suggesting stuff to you I should show my work too! ;)

http://www.flickr.com …p/sets/72157628​323285853/ (external link)

| flickr (external link) |

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 21, 2013 07:24 |  #3

YFZ_52 wrote in post #16226948 (external link)
I just had a quick look through your photostream on flickr.

Some of your detail work is great and I'm glad you get in closer to areas on the car that make it unique. Taking full shots of the car are essential but sometimes the detail photos really explain a story about the car in a way a wide shot can't - Keep that up! Your images are sharp and not blurry, exposures are all quite well! Just keep practising and going to car meets!

My suggestions to improve your work are:

Get down lower to shoot those shots sometimes. I've noticed you take lots of your exterior shots at standing height. Don't be scared to get down on one knee to get a different perspective that most people wont get when walking by the car. Also watch those front ends. I noticed lots of your front end shots, you slightly cut off the lip/skirts of the cars. Try to keep them in shot unless you're going in closer for grill detail etc. Pictures are what you make of them so there is no real right or wrong way, just letting you know what would help make it look nicer. Also wait until cars leave the show and play with some slower shutter speeds and pan cars. It gives you a cool effect that they are moving really fast! :p Also a note, watch poles and trees in the background. If you're not shooting with a shallow depth of field it's easy to have poles sticking out of the roof of the car, just try to position yourself to minimize this happening. Sometimes you just can't help it!

You're doing great and you have had the chance to shoot some pretty awesome cars! I'm not a "pro" by any means but have been shooting cars for a few years now. I posted my Automotive set on flickr for you to see. Figure since I'm suggesting stuff to you I should show my work too! ;)

http://www.flickr.com …p/sets/72157628​323285853/ (external link)

Thanks for the tips! Sometimes the space between the cars doesnt allow for much getting down to one knee, but I will certainly try that! Never really thought much about doing that! HA! I try to take an overall picture of the front/back of the car so if/when I get detailed shots, I can match it up together. I just dumped all of those up to flickr, haven't organized any of them.

Now I'm going to turn anal about making sure no poles are in the shot.. thanks! :lol:

Here are the others from my cell phones.. over 600 of them More cars!!! (external link)

Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 21, 2013 09:00 |  #4

These shots look OK, but you'd probably get more comments if you linked 8 of the images here that you liked best.

abhphotography wrote in post #16226960 (external link)
Now I'm going to turn anal about making sure no poles are in the shot.. thanks! :lol:

Just do what you can. Car shows are tough & we all understand that. See the links in my Sig, and...

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 660162 does not exist. ]

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 21, 2013 11:20 |  #5

PhotosGuy wrote in post #16227149 (external link)
These shots look OK, but you'd probably get more comments if you linked 8 of the images here that you liked best.
Just do what you can. Car shows are tough & we all understand that. See the links in my Sig, and...

[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

Hmm.. well then, guess I will pick out a few. Thanks for the welcome!

*edit* so apparently Flickr no longer allows direct linking to pictures... Looks like time to find a new photo hosting .

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 21, 2013 11:56 as a reply to  @ paintcheck's post |  #6

Alright.. Sent them up to photobucket.. lets see if this works..

anyone spot the famous person gracing our group?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1203.photobuck​et.com …/paramedic18/IM​G_0678.jpg (external link)

I like how this one turned out.

http://i1203.photobuck​et.com …/paramedic18/IM​G_0103.jpg (external link)

http://i1203.photobuck​et.com …/paramedic18/IM​G_0079.jpg (external link)

Pretty much how i feel about my computer :)

http://i1203.photobuck​et.com …/paramedic18/IM​G_0048.jpg (external link)

I think it turned out well too

http://i1203.photobuck​et.com …/paramedic18/IM​G_0674.jpg (external link)

darksike
547 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 21, 2013 12:21 |  #7

Click on the Share button (bottom right of your photo) on flickr then choose the size you wanted to share get BBCode. Then copy and paste entire code on your post here

all experts were once a beginner
addicted since May '09
Gear - Site (external link) -
Facebook (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 21, 2013 12:30 |  #8

darksike wrote in post #16227701 (external link)
Click on the Share button (bottom right of your photo) on flickr then choose the size you wanted to share get BBCode. Then copy and paste entire code on your post here

I must be blind, because I'm not seeing a share button at all. I have a star, a chat bubble, two arrows pointing away, and ...

Apparently I'm not special enough to share! :confused:

darksike
547 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 21, 2013 14:03 |  #9

ok the star = people who click it as their favorite,
chat bubble = people who commented
next icon on the right is "More Ways to share". Click on this
Select "Grab the HTML/BBCode
on the pull down menu is the size, make sure BBCode is selected then copy and paste the code

all experts were once a beginner
addicted since May '09
Gear - Site (external link) -
Facebook (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 21, 2013 14:10 |  #10

darksike wrote in post #16227945 (external link)
ok the star = people who click it as their favorite,
chat bubble = people who commented
next icon on the right is "More Ways to share". Click on this
Select "Grab the HTML/BBCode
on the pull down menu is the size, make sure BBCode is selected then copy and paste the code

Ya I don't have that icon. :(

:o

toolman21
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 22, 2013 13:48 |  #11

abhphotography wrote in post #16227960 (external link)
Ya I don't have that icon. :(

:o

Make sure you are logged in. Then this should explain it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Toolman21 - Canon 60d & T1i (sold) - Canon 17-55 | Canon 17-85 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Sigma 10-20 | Canon 55-250
My Flicker (external link) | Like me on Facebook to follow my He-Man 365 nonsense (external link)| www.heman365.com (external link)https://www.facebook.c​om …n-Digital/34796106523515​2 (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 22, 2013 13:51 |  #12

toolman21 wrote in post #16230935 (external link)
Make sure you are logged in. Then this should explain it.

yup, i do not have that icon on mine :( I will grab a screen shot when I get home.. Flickr hates me :( lol

toolman21
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 22, 2013 14:30 |  #13

abhphotography wrote in post #16230949 (external link)
yup, i do not have that icon on mine :( I will grab a screen shot when I get home.. Flickr hates me :( lol

I have not had that icon before only to realize I had been logged out without knowing. Otherwise not sure why it wouldn't be there.

Toolman21 - Canon 60d & T1i (sold) - Canon 17-55 | Canon 17-85 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Sigma 10-20 | Canon 55-250
My Flicker (external link) | Like me on Facebook to follow my He-Man 365 nonsense (external link)| www.heman365.com (external link)https://www.facebook.c​om …n-Digital/34796106523515​2 (external link)

sponsored links

1,941 views & 0 likes for this thread
A n00b's car photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.