Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 11:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OP/TECH Pro strap over shoulder?

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 21, 2013 23:37 |  #46

I dont remember where I saw it, but someone did a torture test with the tripod mount, and had their camera hooked up to a truck and dragged it or some crazy thing like that. Not to say there are not faults in the design, but the tripod mount is generally very secure.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
shooter00
151 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 22, 2013 00:47 as a reply to  @ gnome chompski's post |  #47

This is the failure that concerns me and is the reason I use a safety lanyard.
BR had to update and send out a bunch of replacements to people because of this several years ago...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 22, 2013 01:19 |  #48

that is unfortunate. The hardware on the black rapid is not the most impressive in terms of quality, but I so far have had no reason to doubt its integrity. I might look into a redundancy system like a lanyard, as long as its easily detachable.

Looking att that pic, I wonder why on earth they would use a carabiner that is of a pressed construction like that. Seems extremely cheap, and goes against everything the strap seems to stand for in terms of how it is used. I wonder if they have updated the hardware recently. Makes me want to go to REI and get a proper climbing carabiner to use and just ditch the stock hardware, haha,

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

clacson
60 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 22, 2013 02:01 |  #49

shooter00 wrote in post #16227563 (external link)
I know this doesn't help your situation right now but Op-Tech has a new swivel adapter in prototype that will solve the problem in the future.
It's due out in the next few months....

Thanks for info :D. I can wait for them, just what I need.

| Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 DG II HSM |
| Canon EOS M | EF-M 11-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EOS EF-M adapter |
| Film Age: Canon EOS 33v, Canon EOS 5 |

shooter00
151 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 22, 2013 09:04 |  #50

gnome chompski wrote in post #16229427 (external link)
that is unfortunate. The hardware on the black rapid is not the most impressive in terms of quality, but I so far have had no reason to doubt its integrity. I might look into a redundancy system like a lanyard, as long as its easily detachable.

Looking att that pic, I wonder why on earth they would use a carabiner that is of a pressed construction like that. Seems extremely cheap, and goes against everything the strap seems to stand for in terms of how it is used. I wonder if they have updated the hardware recently. Makes me want to go to REI and get a proper climbing carabiner to use and just ditch the stock hardware, haha,

I think BR did update to a more solid design several years ago,they seem to get serious about these kind of failures and fix them pretty fast.

Seems like I have read( Take it with a grain of salt ) that they cautioned that the mushroom head takes the most punishment since it swivels metal against metal and recommend it be replaced on a yearly basis.

There was a picture somewhere if I can find it of one of the cheap ebay knockoffs that showed where either the head or the ring that holds it had worn and had slipped through the ring....

I use some BR components and also have some of the knockoffs that I use and have not had any problems with either.
I just don't trust that connection point on any of them....

shooter00
151 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 22, 2013 09:32 as a reply to  @ shooter00's post |  #51

Here is the picture of the knockoff failure...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

rudou
55 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 22, 2013 14:34 |  #52

The picture of the BR swivel ring connector breaking is actually very helpful, thanks! It give me someting to think about as that is the exact piece I have connected to the mkIII now. I will look into replacing and or reinforcing the pieces that connect.
Thanks everyone for the great info.

sponsored links

6,448 views & 0 likes for this thread
OP/TECH Pro strap over shoulder?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.