Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 20 Aug 2013 (Tuesday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What to do to keep up PC speed and health?

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 20, 2013 10:57 |  #1

What to do to maintain speed and health overall for Win 7 on SSD?
I only have the OS on the SSD, all storage are on the 2nd HD.

Remove cookies, temp. files, Lightroom backup files, etc?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

sponsored links
IslandCrow
589 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 20, 2013 14:25 |  #2

A good antivirus and installing updates are key. Next, I would say is your web browser. Personally, I use Firefox along with the No Script, Web of Trust and Ghostery add-ons. That keeps my computer pretty free of any external threats. Lastly, I use Registry Mechanic which has a lot of tools to keep your computer running efficiently, including removing cookies, cleaning up the registry (of course) as well as a some privacy tools. Once upon a time, I used to reformat my hard drive and reinstall the OS about once per year, because my computer would be running noticably sluggish. That has not been an issue for many years now.

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 21, 2013 08:48 |  #3

Thanks IslandCrow.
Is there a reason why you use Firefox instead of Google Chrome?
Is it true that I am not support to defrag my SSD drive?

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 21, 2013 09:11 |  #4

Defragmentation is designed to reallocate files on the disk so that they are physically spaced (on the disk surface) in a way that makes it easier for the computer to access them. SSDs are flash memory, meaning they can access data of any size and location in memory instantly, all defragging does on an SSD is wear it out.

A great application I used to use on PC was CCleaner, it does a great job of making sure you don't have any extra junk, and if you really want to be thorough, use PureRa 1.6 to get rid of windows update installers that windows tends not to delete after installing.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 21, 2013 09:19 |  #5

Thanks Kolor-Pikker for your explaination about defrag and SSD.
I will pick up CClearner to try it out and for will also pick up PureRa 1.6 to get rid of window update installers.

110yd
781 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 21, 2013 09:31 |  #6

Tigerkn wrote in post #16227115 (external link)
Thanks IslandCrow.

Personally I prefer Firefox as my browser for security reasons. Both IE and Chrome have added security features over the years, but Firefox is my personal choice. As Islandcrow said Firefox and NoScript will help keep your machine running smoothly. Set the browser options to either Private Browsing or Delete the history and cookies when the browser closes. With NoScript you will have to "Temporarily Allow" some JAVA Scripts/Flash to get some web pages to display properly. Small price to pay to keep your machine safe.

You do not need to defrag the SSD.

Regards,

110yd

Landwomble
32 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 21, 2013 09:34 |  #7

You don't need to defrag the SSD but you should trim it periodically which is almost the same thing. Right-click, tools and optimise your drive.

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 21, 2013 09:45 |  #8

^^^ What does trim/optimise really do to the drive or file Landwomble? How often should I perform this?

Thanks Guys.

patrick023
542 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 21, 2013 14:06 |  #9

Also, get some compressed air and blow out all the dust bunnies once every 2 or 3 months.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 22, 2013 02:17 |  #10

I don't do anything. I have a defrag set up to run as a scheduled task once a month, other than that it just works. Note that you don't defragment SSDs.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,712 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 22, 2013 02:31 |  #11

I do terribly little with 7 and 8. Vista frankly didn't need much, XP required more upkeep. I run CCleaner once in a blue moon if I feel like it, I do updates manually once every month or two and I use Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender in Win 8) and that's about it. The biggest key is not being stupid, not installing junk like so many people do will keep your system running fine. I use Chrome mostly these days but still run Firefox from time to time too. The only reason I finally switched to Chrome from FF last year was for the very nice syncing between browsers and mobile on my tablet and phone.

My desktop never sleeps or gets shut off unless I'm going away or an approaching storm scares me enough.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 22, 2013 13:26 |  #12

Tigerkn wrote in post #16224367 (external link)
What to do to maintain speed and health overall for Win 7 on SSD?
I only have the OS on the SSD, all storage are on the 2nd HD.

Remove cookies, temp. files, Lightroom backup files, etc?

Thanks for your help in advance!

1) The absolute best thing to maintain Windows performance is not to constantly install and uninstall software. The registry should be kept as pristine as you can keep it.

2) Remove startup processes that are unneeded. CCleaner will show you what's starting up at boot. The only things you should leave are Anti-Virus, Non-Sound Blaster Compatibility Drivers, and things like "Scanner" software for all-in-one printers. Everything else is perfectly fine to get rid of (e.g. Adobe, QTime, and other updaters). Company's love to put their icon's on the tray - it's advertising for them and most are worthless.

3) Keep your drivers updated and Windows patched. 90% of all intrusions/viruses are avoidable by simply keeping your computer up-to-date.

4) Do not place system or often used files on non-SSD. Example: Many people use iTunes on a different larger drive because it would eat up a lot of space on an SSD - that's perfectly fine. iTunes will take longer to open because of this, but it's an acceptable slow down to save gigs of space. You should NOT do this for program caches like for Lightroom, Photoshop, games, etc. It will dramatically effect your speed.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 22, 2013 14:36 |  #13

Tigerkn wrote in post #16227275 (external link)
^^^ What does trim/optimise really do to the drive or file Landwomble? How often should I perform this?

Thanks Guys.

I suppose it depends on how new or old your SSD is, old SSD aren't TRIM compatable, newer ones are, and really new ones may not even need it.

As to what it does... SSD memory is broken up into blocks onto which data can be recorded, and each block has a limited number of write cycles, so if an SSD has blocks that have a life of 3,000 cycles, that means that the most data you can ever (re)record on to the drive is equal to 3000x the drive capacity.
Trim is supposed to analyze the life of the blocks and remove dead blocks from the file system, but some of the newer drives supposedly have electronics that do this on their own.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

IslandCrow
589 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 22, 2013 16:34 |  #14

Tigerkn wrote in post #16227115 (external link)
Thanks IslandCrow.

As long as your not using IE, you're probably fine;) Seriously, though, I started using Firefox before the was a Google Chrome, and I just never saw any reason to switch. I seem to remember a review of different web browsers awhile back (I think Tom's Hardware did it), and there were some benefits to Chrome that made me want to try it out, but I've just never gotten around to it.

Anyway, the important part is making sure your browser is either inherently protecting you from malicious scripting, cross-scripting and other malicious code. The plug-ins I listed probably have Chrome counterparts, or certainly something similar. "No Script" automatically blocks all scripts unless you give the site permission to use them, and Web of Trust is a nice little plug-in that gives you a safety rating for sites you visit. If the site is flagged as unsafe, it will give you a warning before you're given the option to continue to the site or not. You can even pull up details that further detail why it's rated as unsafe. Interesting tidbit, many of the games and links from Facebook are flagged as unsafe.

sponsored links

1,403 views & 0 likes for this thread
What to do to keep up PC speed and health?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.