Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Aug 2013 (Tuesday) 13:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many went back to film and liked it?

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,393 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 21, 2013 11:05 |  #16

oaktree wrote in post #16224938 (external link)
I thought of buying a Zeiss rangefinder to "go back to film". Then I looked at my 1980's Pentax Super Program and thought, "All I need is a good 50mm lens!" I also have a very good 1990's Rollei film P&S with a sharp Schneider lens.

All these thoughts were coming back because I started reading about the "mystic,nostalgia, and advantages" of shooting with film. But then I thought, "Wait...is it (or was it) really that good shooting with film?" I started remembering slow ISO, same white balance for the whole roll, waiting to see if the slides/prints were OK, etc.

For those who have gone (partially) back to film from digital, what did you like about it? You see any advantage in shooting both digital and film? Or is it just a passing mental derangement that will soon pass?

I loved shooting film. In some ways I still consider film to be superior to digital. Some ways, I said, not all.

But, about 4 years ago I had to make a clean and complete mental break from film for my own reasons, and while I sometimes miss film, overall I do not regret my decision.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
37,197 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 21, 2013 11:12 as a reply to  @ photoguy6405's post |  #17

another trailer for Everybody Street
http://vimeo.com/44404​812 (external link)

And the other one that I posted in case you missed it.
http://vimeo.com/70639​661 (external link)

I can't wait to see the film.

oaktree
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 21, 2013 15:01 |  #18

Thanks for all your comments,

After reading more stuff on the web, I'm going the way of a hybrid user; 90% digital:10% film. I've decided to resurrect my Pentax Super Program. I'll used the crappy Vivitar zoom I bought with the Pentax. Found the receipt for the 1985 purchase: $209 for the body and $260 for the zoom. If the body still works, good investment 28 years ago.

If I like shooting film, I'll probably replace the zoom with a 50mm "A" lens. I found some used 50/2.0 lenses via Amazon. Back to the olden days of only a 50mm lens!

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 21, 2013 15:58 |  #19

Which Vivitar? Some of the Series 1 lenses were top-shelf.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 21, 2013 16:05 |  #20

I've thought about it. I've got an old Polaroid Land 95A that's just shelf decoration for now, but can be modified to take inexpensive modern film like 120. However, I simply don't have time or energy for another hobby/project/experime​nt right now.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

oaktree
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 21, 2013 16:29 |  #21

Tony-S wrote in post #16228275 (external link)
Which Vivitar? Some of the Series 1 lenses were top-shelf.

It's the 28-105 zoom. After reading your post, I searched the web and found there are at least 5 different Series 1 28-105s!!

Maybe crappy was too harsh a word. When I looked at the lens last night, bad memories arose when I saw the line diagram on the barrel. The zoom was non-parfocal (changed focus as you zoomed) and drove me crazy since I had to re-focus every time I zoomed. Also, (I'll have to check on this), there was a weird way of setting the aperture.

I'll give you more info after I get home and check the serial number (tells me who made the lens).

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 21, 2013 16:42 |  #22

I'm shooting mainly film now, I use digital only for landscape or portraits where sometimes I need to print big but for everything else I prefer film.

I find shooting film more relaxing, the feeling of shooting for days, sometimes weeks and months before seeing the outcome.
I don't have to shoot, check the screen and if not happy try again, sure I may lose some shots but at least I'm not wasting all my time on one single shot.

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
7,063 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 21, 2013 16:43 |  #23

oaktree wrote in post #16228360 (external link)
It's the 28-105 zoom. After reading your post, I searched the web and found there are at least 5 different Series 1 28-105s!!

Maybe crappy was too harsh a word. When I looked at the lens last night, bad memories arose when I saw the line diagram on the barrel. The zoom was non-parfocal (changed focus as you zoomed) and drove me crazy since I had to re-focus every time I zoomed. Also, (I'll have to check on this), there was a weird way of setting the aperture.

I'll give you more info after I get home and check the serial number (tells me who made the lens).

You could have EOS 3 under $200, or EOS 300 almost for free, in pristine condition, if yours two zoom two primes are EF you will be all set.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 21, 2013 17:22 |  #24

Part of the fun in shooting 35mm film is exploring the legendary equipment of the past. I would pair that Pentax body with one of those beautiful Pentax primes. Pentax forum has an entire section devoted to all the lenses they produced over the years, there's a ton of good info.

oaktree
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 21, 2013 20:30 |  #25

namtot wrote in post #16228485 (external link)
Part of the fun in shooting 35mm film is exploring the legendary equipment of the past. I would pair that Pentax body with one of those beautiful Pentax primes. Pentax forum has an entire section devoted to all the lenses they produced over the years, there's a ton of good info.

Thanks for the link. Lots of info about older Pentax bodies and lenses.

The 28-105 zoom I have was built by Cosina; serial; number starts with 09. I'll check if there's any information about Cosina built Vivitar lenses versus any of the other dozen manufacturers.

oaktree
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 21, 2013 20:36 as a reply to  @ oaktree's post |  #26

Looks like the Cosina built zoom is not good as the Kiron built zoom. Rats:(

CactusJuice
853 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 21, 2013 23:03 |  #27

I love using my film cameras. I also love using my digital cameras. Depends on my mood, location and schedule. Varies from day to day.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 22, 2013 07:43 |  #28

I'm 95% film now. It just suits me.

http://mfphotography.c​a/why-film/ (external link)

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

ELT_Photo
301 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 22, 2013 17:27 |  #29

Went back? Some of us never left!! Some of my clients request film for part of rhe shoot.:D

Passion - Dedication - Inspiration (and some gear)

oaktree
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 22, 2013 18:17 |  #30

ELT_Photo wrote in post #16231539 (external link)
Went back? Some of us never left!! Some of my clients request film for part of rhe shoot.:D

Amazing!

My wife had a photographer friend that had the opposite happen to him. He loved film, but all of his clients wanted digital, so he had to shoot digital to eat.

sponsored links

10,924 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many went back to film and liked it?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.