Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 21 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 06:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 17th UK South-East "The Summer of Awesomeness" Thread (All Welcome)

Gundogs
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2012
3,137 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 22, 2013 16:49 as a reply to  @ post 16231434 |  #286

I must add - I am not a fan of the tilted image - but given the circumstances (chaos including a 2 1/2 yr old male human child camera left having massive tantrum) it was the only way I could get these two in shot together!
Love Snoopy too L ;)

Penelope Malby Photography (external link)
my Facebook page (external link) my Flickr (external link) my 500px (external link)

sponsored links
Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,188 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 22, 2013 17:12 |  #287

Gundogs wrote in post #16231443 (external link)
I must add - I am not a fan of the tilted image - but given the circumstances (chaos including a 2 1/2 yr old male human child camera left having massive tantrum) it was the only way I could get these two in shot together!
Love Snoopy too L ;)

I was not going to crit the second one as I was sure you had your reason(s) for it being unlike your usual 'style' ;)

As for Snoopy............he was more human than his "family", talk about one laconic pooch with a big dose of the wild child in him :lol:

Schulz's 'view of the world' humour IMO is sadly missed in the world of today :( Though I do now enjoy "Matt" in the DT, his wit is scalpel sharp!

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

Slapheadyeti
Goldmember
1,966 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 22, 2013 17:13 |  #288

Got to go and get a new router tomorrow. Can anyone recommend one with good signal, and speeds please? Been looking at the Belkin AC1000. Mine is ok on the wired side, but the wireless is getting beyond a joke. I know I have a lot of devices connected but, c'mon. I've updated everything, and no change.

Wayne A.W.O.L.
Canon 5D MKii Gripped, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 24-105 F4 L IS , Canon 70-200 F/4 L ,Canon 1.4X MKii , Canon 100mm f2.8 L IS, 2x Canon 430EX, Manfrotto 190XPROB, Manfrotto 494RC2,
http://www.slapheadyet​i.co.uk (external link) Flickr (external link)

crunchie
116 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 22, 2013 17:41 |  #289

Hi folks

Since this is a "safe" environment (i.e. you're all really nice, not fanboyz or trolls or just plain rude) - I'm looking to get more into portrait photography. I've spent years and years doing landscape and travel and wildlife and macro, but recently I've started getting into off-camera lighting, and really enjoy it. The natural progression is to use that awesome lighting for portraits - and here's my question: I'm planning to sign up to something like Model Mayhem, and do a series of shoots to build up a portfolio. The trick is, to actually register at MM and get some models to want to work with me, I need a portfolio. It's the proverbial up-the-creek-without-a-paddle story.

I've asked some friends but so far have only negative responses. SO where to next? Any suggestions? I'd like to get a set of 5 or 10 really good photos into a portfolio, and once I have that I think I can take it from there.

Any and all advice will be much appreciated - even if it's of the form "don't do it!" :)

6D, 40D, EOS M, and various lenses

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 22, 2013 18:41 |  #290

@Crunchie, if you can't get friends to help is there a course you can go on, I know for weddings there are one day courses specifically to increase your portfolio.

Few horse shots from earlier in the week

IMAGE: http://klwp.co.uk/img/s10/v113/p1770024016-6.jpg

IMAGE: http://klwp.co.uk/img/s10/v100/p1752321095-6.jpg

IMAGE: http://klwp.co.uk/img/s9/v94/p1773639829-6.jpg

IMAGE: http://klwp.co.uk/img/s10/v102/p1878206997-6.jpg

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,188 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 22, 2013 18:55 |  #291

@ Adrian ~ some lovely equine work you are producing :D

But for me the #1 image looks a little odd where (by the head)....it has that nice golden backlit look and the glow on the grass behind but the fill flash (I surmise that is what you used???) has made the horse look too strongly lit such that that grass glow just looks 'odd' and out of balance with the fill flash??? :confused:

PS I suppose the shadow cast by one front leg on to the other just emphasises it so to speak.

Edit ~ the last one without the halter is so very natural, so just a pity that 'he' is not calm/trustworthy enough to work without it for the likes of the other images :) Without it the others especially the #2 & #3 would be elevated from superb to stunning IMO :D

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
4,900 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 22, 2013 23:56 |  #292

crunchie wrote in post #16231568 (external link)
Hi folks

Since this is a "safe" environment (i.e. you're all really nice, not fanboyz or trolls or just plain rude) - I'm looking to get more into portrait photography. I've spent years and years doing landscape and travel and wildlife and macro, but recently I've started getting into off-camera lighting, and really enjoy it. The natural progression is to use that awesome lighting for portraits - and here's my question: I'm planning to sign up to something like Model Mayhem, and do a series of shoots to build up a portfolio. The trick is, to actually register at MM and get some models to want to work with me, I need a portfolio. It's the proverbial up-the-creek-without-a-paddle story.

I've asked some friends but so far have only negative responses. SO where to next? Any suggestions? I'd like to get a set of 5 or 10 really good photos into a portfolio, and once I have that I think I can take it from there.

Any and all advice will be much appreciated - even if it's of the form "don't do it!" :)

Try looking for a model/photographer group on Facebook as post there as most model using them will do TF and are looking to build thier portfolios also it's how I've met most of mine and found them more reliable than on Model Mayhem.

Adrian that's a cracking set of shot I don' think I can choose a favorite.

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisage.co.uk (external link)

crunchie
116 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 23, 2013 00:28 |  #293

adrian5127 wrote in post #16231696 (external link)
@Crunchie, if you can't get friends to help is there a course you can go on, I know for weddings there are one day courses specifically to increase your portfolio.

Ronin Silv wrote in post #16232366 (external link)
Try looking for a model/photographer group on Facebook as post there as most model using them will do TF and are looking to build thier portfolios also it's how I've met most of mine and found them more reliable than on Model Mayhem.

Thanks guys - will give both of these a try!

ies ­ photos
UKSE Photographer of the Year 2013
6,272 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 23, 2013 04:13 |  #294

Any decent flix out at the moment, fancy a cinema trip this weekend.

Nice horses Adrian, one of the best sets you have posted for me.

www.iesphotography.co.​uk (external link)
London Maternity and Newborn Photographer (external link)
500px (external link) Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

felt_tip_felon
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2010
9,042 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 23, 2013 04:24 |  #295

ies photos wrote in post #16232674 (external link)
Any decent flix out at the moment, fancy a cinema trip this weekend.

Nice horses Adrian, one of the best sets you have posted for me.

What sort of films do you like?

something funny - I thought Alpha Papa was hilarious, I've heard that The Worlds End is very good too

effects & entertainment - Pacific Rim ( I went twice to IMAX it was epic)

and for a night in front of the box, I was very pleasantly surprised at how good the Tom Cruise movie Oblivion was when I saw it last night

*other films and opinions are available :)

500px (external link) Flickr (external link) twitter (external link) Gear list
1DX, 100D, G1X & G10
Join the SE POTN thread here!
"bitten by the deadly photography bug" (external link)

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 23, 2013 04:36 |  #296

Ian, ;)

IMAGE: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2013/03/bravo_echo_disney_planes.jpg

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

ies ­ photos
UKSE Photographer of the Year 2013
6,272 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 23, 2013 04:42 |  #297

Well sadly my wife has a completely polar view on films to me. I think the humour of AP would be lost of her.

Pacific RIM does look awesome for effects.

As for Disney planes, I am there B-)

www.iesphotography.co.​uk (external link)
London Maternity and Newborn Photographer (external link)
500px (external link) Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 23, 2013 09:13 as a reply to  @ ies photos's post |  #298

Gundogs wrote in post #16231443 (external link)
Love Snoopy too L ;)

Could you not add some space around in PP - the bg colour would be fairly easy to clone into the extra space...then you could tilt it back to upright.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 23, 2013 09:35 |  #299

Need new body help - I'm stuck on either a 70D or the 6D, which would you choose (knowing I shoot aircraft mainly).

Quite like the idea on the 6D FF, I know a guy who has one for airshows and loves it, but I'm swaying towards the 70D for the tilt screen (for my new pole) and the 1.3crop for airshows. Should go well with a 50-500?

Decisions. :confused:

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

crunchie
116 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 23, 2013 09:59 |  #300

^ ^
1.6 crop. Even better with long lenses :)

sponsored links

656,375 views & 284 likes for this thread
The 17th UK South-East "The Summer of Awesomeness" Thread (All Welcome)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.