Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 Aug 2013 (Tuesday) 08:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm getting screwed (Wedding/Payment)

photography ­ By ­ Evangelos
Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 17, 2013 08:18 as a reply to  @ post 16185689 |  #106

No payment = no photos. Period I would not have give the photos without payment but that's me.

sponsored links
Blaster6
238 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 19, 2013 08:04 |  #107

Waiting for the next post is almost as bad as waiting for the new season of Walking Dead to start. Can't wait til this honeymoon is over so I can find out what the B&G have to say.

No, I never claimed to be outstanding in the field of photography. I said I was out standing in the field taking photos.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 19, 2013 12:22 |  #108

Interesting story. Too many pages to sift through *L*. Lot's of great advice offered here and some not so great.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 19, 2013 12:49 |  #109

Hogloff wrote in post #16214968 (external link)
No compassion what's so ever for the B&G here. Yeh, I'd sure hire your services as a photographer.

Unless the B&G really said what the photog who hired this guy said they did. And also assuming the OP is not lying about anything.

In that case then no, I wouldn't have any compassion for the B&G.

Gear List

bigjon0107
897 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 19, 2013 17:06 |  #110

icacphotography wrote in post #16214841 (external link)
This ^ so much this. Why should you the OP keep the images if you're not getting paid for them or the photog that had the contract with the couple is saying he no longer wants them? delete/format the cards and move on. If the B&G come back later to him wanting the images it's his &*%^! that'll get burned not yours. Far as I'm concerned he never paid you for services rendered so why should you waste space on your memory cards to store the RAW images for him? Like I said delete the images and format the card and serve this A hole a taste of his own medicine so that if he comes knocking you can tell him without lying you no longer have the images and he can go pound sand. He;ll get sued and go OOB and nobody will be the wiser about you.

While this is great in theory, he has a product that may be valuable to someone. If the contracted photog does not have them already, he has something that is of value to the B&G. Now once he hears from the B&G (not just from someone who may be trying to pull a fast one) that they dont want them, then format because they have lost their value (keep your portfolio images though, if any). Once the images are gone, so is any potential of making money off of them.

Jon Eilts
Gear List
SportsShooter (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Aug 19, 2013 23:32 |  #111

icacphotography wrote in post #16214841 (external link)
This ^ so much this. Why should you the OP keep the images if you're not getting paid for them or the photog that had the contract with the couple is saying he no longer wants them? delete/format the cards and move on. If the B&G come back later to him wanting the images it's his &*%^! that'll get burned not yours. Far as I'm concerned he never paid you for services rendered so why should you waste space on your memory cards to store the RAW images for him? Like I said delete the images and format the card and serve this A hole a taste of his own medicine so that if he comes knocking you can tell him without lying you no longer have the images and he can go pound sand. He;ll get sued and go OOB and nobody will be the wiser about you.

This logic might make sense if your boyfriend dumps you in highschool...

But in reality it costs nothing to keep the images for an extra year, so it would be stupid to get rid of them. If the contracting photographer didn't stealth copy them onto the laptop, at the very least it would put the BG into a very unpleasant position.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 20, 2013 10:19 |  #112

Wow, just read all the replies and I am shocked that even one person would say to delete them or just hand them to the B&G. This must be the guy who hired the OP. lol.

I am in agreement with the people who say the guy copied them. He claimed the pics looked fine and he can work with them, but then didn't even ask for a copy? Something isn't right here and I'm thinking that everything the original photog told the OP was a lie. In fact, he probably made up the lies because he spent the money he was given because he had nothing saved up for events such as his surgery. I also agree with the one person who suggested that the OP get the complaints in writing.

For sure, contact the B&G when they return and simply ask if they've seen any of their photos, and if so how they liked them. This will tell you everything you need to know. If the hired guy was lying, they will reply that they either have or have not but that they were looking forward to seeing them. As someone else said earlier, there is no way on earth a bride will not want to at least see her wedding photos, no matter how she got along with the guy taking pics. Also, why would they care if you changed a lens. if anything hat would make someone more confident, in that you were getting the best photo for each pose they were taking. They wouldn't go into detail about lens changes, especially not before seeing any of the photos.

IMHO, the hired guy copied the pics, and is making up a story so he doesn't have to pay the OP money he doesn't have. He thinks the OP will go away or work with him again because he needs the work and is new, so the hired guy is betting the OP can be pushed around.

armis
903 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 20, 2013 10:39 |  #113

I don't think the photog copied the pictures, but I could be wrong. However, if I did that, I'd be sure to tell the B&G not to tell the OP that they have the photos if he asks - cause that's the obvious thing he'll do. If I were the OP, I'd still ask the B&G but I'd also try to find another way to find out; maybe through one of the other guests of the wedding, somehow, or maybe just by checking out their Facebook if they've left it open. If the B&G have the shots, it's a pretty safe bet that one of them is going to use one on FB.

Barring terminal stupidity (I know, I know) I can't see how the photog would expect to make this work without bringing the B&G in on it. That said, as I mentioned before, I personally don't think that's what happened.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,016 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 20, 2013 10:44 |  #114

mikeinctown wrote in post #16224232 (external link)
Something isn't right here and I'm thinking that everything the original photog told the OP was a lie. In fact, he probably made up the lies because he spent the money he was given because he had nothing saved up for events such as his surgery.

Is there evidence that this man had surgery, apart from his saying he did? Given the information so far, it's possible that he books a wedding every week, hires a second shooter, "finds out" that he's going to "have surgery," promotes the second shooter to sole shooter, and . . .

One fact that shows that he at least talked with the couple after the wedding: he knew boudoir was skipped.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

jwhite65
440 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 20, 2013 10:56 |  #115

OhLook wrote in post #16224320 (external link)
Is there evidence that this man had surgery, apart from his saying he did? Given the information so far, it's possible that he books a wedding every week, hires a second shooter, "finds out" that he's going to "have surgery," promotes the second shooter to sole shooter, and . . .

One fact that shows that he at least talked with the couple after the wedding: he knew boudoir was skipped.

Hmmm... Good point. Double or triple book, shoot one, and farm the others out to his "assistant". Makes for a nice paycheck, especially when you stiff the assistant.

I hope the OP is still around and will update soon.

Jeff
http://www.jeffwhiteph​otography.com (external link)
5D MkIII | 5D MkII | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 | 600EX-RT (3) | ST-E3-RT

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 23, 2013 19:26 |  #116

Maybe it was already said here, but since the contracted photographer (not the OP) is being shady in his business practices, then perhaps he may be trying to pull a fast one on the B&G. He could be saying something like,"This guy is being completely unprofessional and won't release the photos to me, blah blah blah. I'm never hiring him again." The OP should really get in touch with the B&G himself to get to the bottom of things. That may be his only source of payment.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Robert ­ Dunlop
27 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 24, 2013 04:25 |  #117

Luxornv wrote in post #16234665 (external link)
He could be saying something like,"This guy is being completely unprofessional and won't release the photos to me, blah blah blah. I'm never hiring him again.".

Can't think why he would do such a thing.

kacebelle
305 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 30, 2013 12:15 as a reply to  @ Robert Dunlop's post |  #118

Any updates on this?

My Stuff | My flickr (external link) |My Website (external link)| My Blog (external link) | My Feedback

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 30, 2013 14:34 |  #119

kacebelle wrote in post #16253652 (external link)
Any updates on this?

Stumbled upon this, and am engrossed to my eyeballs! We need a final outcome!:cool:

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 31, 2013 00:38 |  #120

^^ Agreed

digital: 7d 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, 17-55 2.8 IS

sponsored links

26,855 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm getting screwed (Wedding/Payment)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.