Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 24 Aug 2013 (Saturday) 10:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

looking for new P&S+

Ltdave
it looks like im post #19,016
5,613 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 24, 2013 10:12 |  #1

for years when i carried my AE-1 and F-1n i often had my Olympus XA in a pocket of my bag or in my pants pocket...

on the days i didnt lug the "big" SLRs around i almost (97-98%?) still had the XA with me...

im looking for something similar but without the bulk of some of the compact digitals. i currently stuff an IXUS 75 (7.1mp) camera in my back pocket but would like something "a little more" capability...

the IXUS has a 5.8-17.4mm zoom (with digital to 12x i think) and up to 1600 ISO but of course its got to be about a dozen generations ago (okay only a couple DiGIC 3)...

what does everyone recommend?

sometimes the 5D3 with 24-70f2.8 is just too much to tote around...

-im just trying. sometimes i succeed

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 24, 2013 11:05 |  #2

Sounds like you are not in to superzooms, so probably consider the S100, S110, or just announced S120 for a high quality pocket camera. Others may also recommend the Sony RX100 or new RX100 II.

Dennis

Mackeral
524 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 24, 2013 13:17 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

x100 if you don't mind fixed lens

"Complete quietness surrounded me as the dense fog smothered all sounds. As the sun rose, lifting the fog to reveal this majestic mountain, all my thoughts of the daily hustle and bustle were put away, allowing me to sit in solitude with nature."
-Utter Bull

eyalg
583 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 24, 2013 23:35 |  #4

Either get a Canon S (S100, S110, S120), a Panasonic LF1 or a Fuji XF1.
These are the most powerful cameras to fit comfortably in your pocket.
If you can allow for some larger size - then the LX7 is a good option.

-eyalg

My Digital Camera Guide - www.eyalg.com (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 26, 2013 11:57 |  #5

Would the EOS M + 22mm be too large? It's not pocketable, but MUCH smaller than a 5D+24-70 while being very close in performance.

If you want something that truly fits in the pocket, I think Eyalg has your complete list.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,613 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 27, 2013 02:07 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #6

ive been thinking about the EOS-M as well...

i mostly want something that is at least CLOSE in image performance. the glass in my olympus was pretty good and so with film, i could get some pretty equal images. no sense in having a great disparity in IQ between the 5D and PS...

thanks

PipesInTune
205 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 27, 2013 09:53 |  #7

As far as mirrorless cameras go, the EOS M is basically a bust compared to the Panasonic/Olympus/Fuji offerings. I'd check them out.
I personally have a Panasonic G5 with is terrific. If you want something smaller, and more compact than that, there are plenty of models to choose from, but I'd skip the EOS M.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 27, 2013 10:24 |  #8

PipesInTune wrote in post #16244073 (external link)
As far as mirrorless cameras go, the EOS M is basically a bust compared to the Panasonic/Olympus/Fuji offerings. I'd check them out.

It depends if you want a whole system. Just the EOS M + 22mm is a pretty nice camera for not a lot of money. You'd be spending 2-3x as much to get the same thing from anyone else.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,613 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 01, 2015 18:11 |  #9

okay...

things got in the way and i never did get a new P+S...

is the 120 still the top of the line of its type from Canon? seems there should have been something new in the couple of years i was looking but i didnt see anything on the Canon site...

i guess the m22 fell to the wayside. does Canon have any plans for another mirrorless?

an acquaintance has a Nikon 1 J5 and the images are amazing. of course she's also a professional photographer and former Air Force combat camera member...

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Aug 01, 2015 20:25 |  #10

Ltdave wrote in post #17652897 (external link)
okay...

things got in the way and i never did get a new P+S...

is the 120 still the top of the line of its type from Canon? seems there should have been something new in the couple of years i was looking but i didnt see anything on the Canon site...

i guess the m22 fell to the wayside. does Canon have any plans for another mirrorless?

an acquaintance has a Nikon 1 J5 and the images are amazing. of course she's also a professional photographer and former Air Force combat camera member...

Canon put out the G7x which is similar in many aspects to the Sony RX100 mk3

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

pfjbaldwin
328 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 10, 2015 22:15 |  #11

I was looking 2 years ago and someone PM'ed me outside the thread to keep the noise down. They loved their Sony RX100, suggested it was seriously a pocket camera and produced outstanding images. For the last 1 1/2 years I've been shooting RAW with the Sony travelling on vacation when I don't want to carry my 5D3 + gear and love it! It is so superior to anything I shot with the S95 I had been using for a P+S and I've been exclusively Canon for over 45 years. I did have to upgrade to Lightroom 5 for RX100 RAW support.

pfjohnsonphotography.c​om, pfjphoto.com, Baldwin, MD
CPS

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

3,816 views & 0 likes for this thread, 8 members have posted to it.
looking for new P&S+
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.