Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 25 Aug 2013 (Sunday) 16:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone Order From Amazon?

SierraHighPhoto
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 25, 2013 16:06 |  #1

I planned on purchasing the 70-200mm F/4L from BH Photo, but remembered I have a prime account on Amazon which gives me free two day shipping (obviously faster than BH Photo unless I want to spend an extra $50 or so).

I've read many times the USA lenses are better than Imported, but I don't recall Amazon offering any of that information. Does anyone know if Amazon sells USA lenses or if they are Imported?

Thanks!

sponsored links
NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,194 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 25, 2013 16:13 |  #2

ALL Canon lenses are imported to the US. They are all the same, the only difference will be the warranty.

Kev

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 25, 2013 16:17 |  #3

I live in Guam... so it'll be amazon for me I'm afraid.

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 25, 2013 16:36 |  #4

NinetyEight wrote in post #16239039 (external link)
ALL Canon lenses are imported to the US. They are all the same, the only difference will be the warranty.

Confused? The USA/Imported on BH Photo are for warranty? Not the lens?

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 25, 2013 16:41 |  #5

I haven't had any trouble ordering from Amazon, and the only reason why I do so is because of their free shipping to Alaska. Crutchfield does the same (free shipping to Alaska, and I imagine to any US territory). Check the latter above to see if that lens is available and shipping charges).

Three of four years ago I would have paid over $90.00 to B&H to ship a Canon Pixma photo printer to my home in Alaska, so I ordered it from Crutchfiel. The printer cost around $30.00 more at Crutchfield, but I still saved over $60.00 on shipping.

7D, 5DII

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,194 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 25, 2013 16:46 |  #6

HailttRedskins wrote in post #16239086 (external link)
Confused? The USA/Imported on BH Photo are for warranty? Not the lens?

Lenses intended for the US market (or any other country they are intended for) will come with a full manufactures warranty supported by Canon in that country.
The 'grey' imports (Items intended for another country - Hong Kong for example) will not have a local Canon warranty unless you want to return it to the intended country or the retailer (B&H in your case) will sort it for you.
It's all to do with import duty/tax etc.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Grey_market (external link)

Kev

snerd
662 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 25, 2013 16:49 |  #7

Order from them all the time! So much in fact, I had points or rewards or some such, that my last lens, a Canon 50mm 1.4 only cost me $314 new and free shipping on Prime!

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 25, 2013 16:56 |  #8

My 40D came from Amazon and it was the import version. So I made sure my next body, 7D, came from B&H as I wanted to be sure what I was getting. Lens have also come from both B&H and Amazon - depends on the deal.

But I have more faith in B&H sending me the right stuff. Always afraid Amazon will send me something someone else returned due to problems.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 25, 2013 17:00 |  #9

NinetyEight wrote in post #16239115 (external link)
Lenses intended for the US market (or any other country they are intended for) will come with a full manufactures warranty supported by Canon in that country.
The 'grey' imports (Items intended for another country - Hong Kong for example) will not have a local Canon warranty unless you want to return it to the intended country or the retailer (B&H in your case) will sort it for you.
It's all to do with import duty/tax etc.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Grey_market (external link)

Guess I misunderstood or the person who told me the information was mistaken. Was just under the impression the glass and quality was made differently, rather than it just being for warranty and things along that line.

NLeague
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 25, 2013 19:50 |  #10

I have a Prime account at Amazon too and have bought a few lenses and gear from them. Everything has arrived with standard US warranty and registration cards. When I combine the Prime shipping and rewards from my credit card it becomes difficult to shop at stores like B&H or Adorama.

seanlancaster
198 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 25, 2013 19:56 |  #11

B&H offers some grey market lenses that don't carry the full American warranty (may or may not). But they also offer the regular lenses intended for sale in the USA. Amazon's lenses, from my experience, are all the USA lenses. I buy all of my lenses from Amazon if they have it in stock and available on Prime (free 2nd day delivery or $3.99 overnight). My next stop is B&H or Adorama. They're all safe.

I am Sean Lancaster on Flickr (external link)
Sony A7, Contax G 90/2.8, Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 II, & FE Zeiss 55/1.8 (<-most used)
Sony NEX 5N and many lenses including many Canon FD

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,169 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 25, 2013 20:19 |  #12

While I usually order from Adorama or B&H, I did purchase a 17-40L from Amazon. I am a prime member, too, and have an Amazon rewards credit card. I used the points I'd built up on the card to pay a significant portion of the lens. The 17-40L was a US lens.

The US and import lenses are identical products. The only difference is the warranty.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 25, 2013 20:41 |  #13

As long as amazon is the seller, you will get a USA warranties item.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

Bilderknipser
889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2010

Aug 25, 2013 20:43 as a reply to  @ Scott M's post |  #14

Prime shipping is pretty much the only reason I order most camera gear at Amazon. Never had a problem. All lenses/cameras were new in box, and packaged well.

Carmen
Mom, Veteran, Student
Gear List

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 25, 2013 21:32 |  #15

Thanks everyone happy to hear!

sponsored links

3,201 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone Order From Amazon?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.