Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 12 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D users, friends and their random OT B.S. (II)

this thread is locked
vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,283 posts
Gallery: 444 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 25, 2013 12:13 |  #4126

CJCMarquez wrote in post #16237128 (external link)
Vinz - I was playing around with using the demb for catch lights but and I was trying to use it as you described but how did you get it to be parallel with the flash?

CJ this is how i did it. a portable back wall.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5343/9593138076_213c46bbda_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5539/9590344263_9ddd7998c8_b.jpg

this is what i used in my last 3 pics postings

| VINZ - SONY A7RIV/A73//A6000/FDR-X3000 | Sigma105 | FE1635F4 } Tamron 17-28 Tamron 28-75 | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

sponsored links
CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,200 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 25, 2013 12:19 |  #4127

Thanks. I'm going to have a play with that. Btw, what batteries do you use for your triggers?

Eneloops don't seem to be enough voltage and the other batteries seen to drain too quickly

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,283 posts
Gallery: 444 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 25, 2013 12:20 |  #4128

for now i'm using eneloops. please tell me if you discover a better one. a geek friend of mind said eneloop is good in retaining power while not in use but not as powerful as alkaline. not sure.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIV/A73//A6000/FDR-X3000 | Sigma105 | FE1635F4 } Tamron 17-28 Tamron 28-75 | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,200 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 25, 2013 12:29 |  #4129

vinmunoz wrote in post #16238496 (external link)
for now i'm using eneloops. please tell me if you discover a better one. a geek friend of mind said eneloop is good in retaining power while not in use but not as powerful as alkaline. not sure.

So far the best ones I have used are the 1,8 volt Duracells from Walmart.

The Eneloops are only 1,2 which could be a reason for the troubled power.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

BurnUnit
845 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined May 2012

Aug 25, 2013 13:00 |  #4130

Vixen89 wrote in post #16237578 (external link)
I created the watermark out of frustration, and yeah I am human you know I'm allowed to vent and get pissy when someone takes your stuff. Most likely I'm going to get over it because I have to regardless and just take civil actions on it. I'm not going to say I will take your advice whole heartily but you aren't wrong either.

Thanks and that's not a bad idea. I'll figure it out in the end but thank you for the advice, I'm still fuming and sad on the inside.

I'm not on FB, partly for just this reason, so I've never read their TOS. I understand that by posting photos there you give up certain usage rights but go back and read the fine print. Non-commercial and Creative Commons usage is one thing, but I doubt that you've given up copyright for obvious commercial usage. Unless FB is somehow profiting from it.

Keep your wits about you and don't get too emotional. Instead of contacting the FB page owner, contact FB first. You can bet they have a well-paid legal department that they'd love to keep busy handling these cases, and I suspect that you don't. They may also "red flag" the page and keep a closer watch for other violations. This will improve the odds of making the page owner think twice about using/stealing someone elses work for his commercial gain.

Canon 60D+EFs 18-200, EFs 10-18, G5, A20 (retired), Pentax Optio Z10, Powershot A620 and a recently adopted Digital Rebel/300D

"They've introduced a new camera that's so advanced, you don't even need it!"
Steven Wright

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 25, 2013 14:32 |  #4131

pauly916 wrote in post #16237597 (external link)
Don't be sad unfortunately people do this and I wouldn't bother putting a massive watermark on your shots either it only ruins them. I just have a small one in the corner so they have no defence by saying they couldn't find the owner.
Have a search for an online image usage calculator (there must be a US one the uk ones will be different) and send them the bill. I think if you report to Facebook they will remove the image.

pauly916 wrote in post #16237604 (external link)
Here is a calculator I use to work out prices

http://www.gettyimages​.co.uk …lculator/sb1006​9475ab-001 (external link)

By the way Lisa yours worked out at $1600 per year!!!!

vinmunoz wrote in post #16237608 (external link)
That sucks Lisa. You should do what Pauly suggested.

my fave from yesterday. yes it's true snake. looks like a toy. 50mm f2.8

I finally calmed down and will not be putting a bigger watermark on everything although it looked pretty cool when I came up with it! I really really realllyyy appreciate all the advice given though bad and good.

@Vinz I probably would have freaked out if I've seen that in person. >>

babel_fish wrote in post #16237736 (external link)
+1

Also a boycott/flame of their page doesn't hurt either :)

I can't do that, I'm not a flamer by nature and I don't want to ruin their business in anyway but I did send them a message on it.

Str0ntium wrote in post #16238047 (external link)
Yeah, we're all human. Ignore my advice :D Too many beers, last night. :p I would be pissed, too. Just so you know. But, I don't really have to worry about people stealing my stuff since it sucks anyway haha.

I forgives you and I think my comment was a bit rude myself since I was infuriated last night. I don't think your stuff sucks; your photography is much more different than ours and it's nice to see a change of pace from the norm.

MakisM1 wrote in post #16238245 (external link)
Please don't get this the wrong way, but if you want your images copyrighted, say so in your watermark. Maybe this way they will think twice infringing you copyright.

It's in my watermark actually there's a C with 2013 in it, but I think it's just either too tiny to see now or just ignored.

ScullenCrossBones wrote in post #16238282 (external link)
Lisa, register you image with copyright office. Legal action against them would be pretty easy, and since they removed your watermark, they would be liable for an additional damages.

I did and they were quite nice about removing the photo. They told me it will be gone by tonight. I'll be watching, if nothing happens I'm moving to Plan B!

rpadula wrote in post #16238288 (external link)
Well he should not have taken it at all. Would it have been OK when you met him if he lifted your camera without your permission to take a picture for his business facebook page? Of course not!

Actually, it's better for you that the watermark was removed. It shows the theft was done on purpose.

I haven't read the entire FB TOS, but I don't think it's true you lose all rights by posting there. I believe you grant them an unlimited license to use the photos (otherwise, they couldn't show them on FB pages), but you retain the copyright.

No, there's plenty you can do, and I hope you do it. Please ask in the Business of Photography thread. This issue has been covered often. Your fellow POTN members will help you in there.

I think you might be younger and probably intimidated by this (I know I would have been in my 20's), especially since it was done by someone you met in person. A little legal help is a great confidence booster. ;) Besides, jewelers bank some serious coin. He can most certainly afford to pay you a fair price for a business web use photograph.

Watch this video lecture if you have time:

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=16188807&p​ostcount=6

I can honestly say I was definitely intimidated by it all; most people respect others work and don't try to take it but in this day and age there are those who are uneducated about it. I really reallyy hate the fact that when people meet me once, they assume we are BEST FRIENDS and can do everything a best friend would do like thinking they get photography done for free and whatnot.

BurnUnit wrote in post #16238573 (external link)
I'm not on FB, partly for just this reason, so I've never read their TOS. I understand that by posting photos there you give up certain usage rights but go back and read the fine print. Non-commercial and Creative Commons usage is one thing, but I doubt that you've given up copyright for obvious commercial usage. Unless FB is somehow profiting from it.

Keep your wits about you and don't get too emotional. Instead of contacting the FB page owner, contact FB first. You can bet they have a well-paid legal department that they'd love to keep busy handling these cases, and I suspect that you don't. They may also "red flag" the page and keep a closer watch for other violations. This will improve the odds of making the page owner think twice about using/stealing someone elses work for his commercial gain.

I went back and re-read the TOS for FB and yeah the owner still retains copyright for legal reasons. I think it's Twitter and Instagram I was getting it mixed up with, I know some large social media site is taking rights from the owners somewhere. I do have to apologize about last nights episode; I was frustrated about a lot of other things and this was just the icing that blew it all off.

Sorry about the hallbaloo I made in the thread !! Thanks for all of ya'lls patience and help; too bad we all can't sit together so I could apologize in person and have dinner on me or something. xD

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

Strontium
Durr?
7,409 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 25, 2013 14:50 |  #4132

vinmunoz wrote in post #16238481 (external link)
CJ this is how i did it. a portable back wall.

this is what i used in my last 3 pics postings

Thanks for the setup shots. You have now, officially, contributed to my GAS twice! I had no idea that's how a Demb Diffuser worked or even looked like. Definitely handy! Sure beats the index card and rubber band.

What flash bracket are you using?

I am I

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 25, 2013 14:57 |  #4133

Str0ntium wrote in post #16238824 (external link)
Thanks for the setup shots. You have now, officially, contributed to my GAS twice! I had no idea that's how a Demb Diffuser worked or even looked like. Definitely handy! Sure beats the index card and rubber band.

What flash bracket are you using?

I think he's using this:

http://www.amazon.com …o00_s00_i00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

It looks very similar to my macro bracket setup.

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

AlexTakesPhotos
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 25, 2013 15:12 |  #4134

been a while since i been here. hi guys!

Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 25, 2013 15:15 |  #4135

AlexTakesPhotos wrote in post #16238872 (external link)
been a while since i been here. hi guys!

welcome back :D

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,200 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 25, 2013 15:16 |  #4136

So I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 6D.

A few people inquiring on Craigslist.

Chad or CJ

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 25, 2013 15:40 |  #4137

Argh!!! There's a "well used" 5dii on our local CL for cheap!! Gah...he hasn't emailed back since this morning. Hope I can snag it. :/

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Strontium
Durr?
7,409 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 25, 2013 16:18 |  #4138

Vixen89 wrote in post #16238840 (external link)
I think he's using this:

http://www.amazon.com …o00_s00_i00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

It looks very similar to my macro bracket setup.

Only $14? Wonder how sturdy it is?

I am I

Dr.D
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 25, 2013 17:05 |  #4139

Anyone have a t1i or any consumer t series body they want to sell? Looking to start a project and need a extra camera. I've looked at the 10,20,30 and such D series bodies, but they use cf cards and won't work with the remote I already have, since I'm trying to keep costs to the $100- $150 range I don't want to invest in more stuff to make it work. Anyhow, I've seen someT1's locally for around $200, but they include the lens or lenses, so if anyone has one or knows where I can get one please let me know.

6D . Gripped 60D . Gripped XSI . Opteka 6.5 . Canon 10-22 . Canon 18-135 . Canon 50 1.8 MKII . Canon 24-105 f4 L . Canon 70-200 2.8 IS MKII L . Canon 70-300 IS USM . Sigma 150-600 . Canon 100mm Macro . Canon 2X III . 430 EXII . Manfroto 190XPROB . Manfrotto 055XPROB . Black Rapid Sport . Outback 200
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1195651

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,200 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 25, 2013 17:18 |  #4140

I was curious so I looked up T1is locally and they're are many listed for $350 and up.

Chad or CJ

sponsored links

706,676 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D users, friends and their random OT B.S. (II)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.