Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Aug 2013 (Sunday) 19:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scratched 5d Mark III focusing screen

Humble ­ Photographer
87 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 25, 2013 19:56 |  #1

While trying to use a rocket blower on it, I accidentally touched it with the blower, leading a massive 1-2 cm scratch on it. This is the white plastic I am talking about and not the mirror. I knew that thing was extremely easy to scratch and I was very careful, but I guess not enough.

Does anyone know if I can replace this myself and if not how much would Canon charge me for it? Or should I take to an authorized Canon repair shop?

I did a quick ebay search and came up with lots of hits for the OEM focus screen:

http://www.ebay.com …screen&_sacat=0​&_from=R40 (external link)

I know Canon says this screen is not "replaceable" but why the heck do they sell the part for it?

sponsored links
Richard ­ N
125 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 25, 2013 20:35 |  #2

I know some bodies have a user replaceable screen, my 7D does not. However... when I bought this body the focus screen was littered with dust and one small hair, so in I went. A little time on Google, a small phillips screwdriver, and few deep breaths resulted in a nice clean focus screen after about 10 minutes.

Do some research and decide for yourself if you feel confident in attempting the replacement. If not, a local repair shop will probably be your most economical solution.

Please wait for other opinions as I'm known for taking things apart on a whim, so far its worked for me but you can never be sure.

EDIT: Give this a watch

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=HttFBeF2K3c (external link)

This will let you see what is involved in changing a screen. This guy does not use one designed for the body, I'd avoid doing that if I was you. Get one that fits.

flickr (external link) - (Coming Soon)
My Gear List
Marketplace Feedback

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 25, 2013 20:49 |  #3

Humble Photographer wrote in post #16239553 (external link)
While trying to use a rocket blower on it, I accidentally touched it with the blower, leading a massive 1-2 cm scratch on it. This is the white plastic I am talking about and not the mirror. I knew that thing was extremely easy to scratch and I was very careful, but I guess not enough.

Does anyone know if I can replace this myself and if not how much would Canon charge me for it? Or should I take to an authorized Canon repair shop?

I did a quick ebay search and came up with lots of hits for the OEM focus screen:

http://www.ebay.com …screen&_sacat=0​&_from=R40 (external link)

I know Canon says this screen is not "replaceable" but why the heck do they sell the part for it?

I looked online and did a bit of research and from what I can conclude, while there may be optional focusing screens available on line, the OEM screen does not seem to be available. Further the full blown optional screen seems very involved to install. Additionally, the ones I saw on ebay seem to show simple screens similar to those installed on the 5D II, and are probably not compatible with the Mark III regardless of what they are saying. I would be very cautious. From what I read on several forums, you may have no choice but to send it in to Canon for repair.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

Richard ­ N
125 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 25, 2013 20:54 |  #4

One more link, this is the same procedure for me with my 7D. Both bodies the 7D and the 5DmkIII have a transmissive LCD screen, this is probably why there is no user changeable screen.

http://www.focusingscr​een.com/work/5d3en.htm (external link)

My Gear List
Marketplace Feedback

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 25, 2013 20:58 |  #5

Richard N wrote in post #16239630 (external link)
I know some bodies have a user replaceable screen, my 7D does not. However... when I bought this body the focus screen was littered with dust and one small hair, so in I went. A little time on Google, a small phillips screwdriver, and few deep breaths resulted in a nice clean focus screen after about 10 minutes.

Do some research and decide for yourself if you feel confident in attempting the replacement. If not, a local repair shop will probably be your most economical solution.

Please wait for other opinions as I'm known for taking things apart on a whim, so far its worked for me but you can never be sure.

EDIT: Give this a watch

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=HttFBeF2K3c (external link)

This will let you see what is involved in changing a screen. This guy does not use one designed for the body, I'd avoid doing that if I was you. Get one that fits.

It jury rigged and as you said would probably void the warranty. Further, he wanted a screen to use specifically for manual focus. Its not even close to being an OEM replacement of the original. I'm afraid the OP may be out of luck on this one.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

BrettLu
25 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 25, 2013 20:59 |  #6

It looks fairly easy to change,Here (external link) a link is with pictures.

Gripped 5D3, 1D2N, Gripped 7D, 24-105L, 70-200mm f/4 L IS, 100-400L, 50mm f/1.8, Tokina 16-28, 600EX-RT

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 25, 2013 21:20 |  #7

BrettLu wrote in post #16239697 (external link)
It looks fairly easy to change,Here (external link) a link is with pictures.

Your definition of fairly easy and mine are quite different. Changing a focus screen in a 5D II or a 50D/60D is fairly easy for anyone but the butterfingered. But the procedure for doing it on a 5DIII is extensive with a number of steps, relatively complicated with some dis-assembly required, and fraught with various possibilities for greater damage. The OP scratched the original just by using a blower to clean it. If h tries to fix it himself and fails it will then probably cost even more for Canon to finish the job and would probably void the entire warranty, assuming its still in effect. Plus the link did not seem to indicate where and for how much an OEM replacement part could be obtained. If I was th OP, I would bite the bullet, accept the inevitable and let the experts take care of it.

Mark

Richard ­ N
125 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 25, 2013 21:29 |  #8

The procedure for changing the screen in a 5DIII and a 7D are identical, 2 screws to remove, 1 piece to remove and a simple spring clip holding in the screen. I've removed mine, cleaned it, and reassembled it in about 10 minutes.

For anyone with the confidence to try and some steady hands, it can be done. It's not extensive, or relatively complicated, and the disassemble is minimal

The hardest part is getting a screen intended for the 5DIII.

EDIT: To the OP, if you have any doubts what so ever... take it to a shop or send it to Canon.

My Gear List
Marketplace Feedback

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 25, 2013 21:32 |  #9

Mine is scratched by my rocket blower. same exact crap happen to me.

Fixing to order a precision however mine is a tool less swap.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 25, 2013 21:44 |  #10

Richard N wrote in post #16239778 (external link)
The procedure for changing the screen in a 5DIII and a 7D are identical, 2 screws to remove, 1 piece to remove and a simple spring clip holding in the screen. I've removed mine, cleaned it, and reassembled it in about 10 minutes.

For anyone with the confidence to try and some steady hands, it can be done. It's not extensive, or relatively complicated, and the disassemble is minimal

The hardest part is getting a screen intended for the 5DIII.

EDIT: To the OP, if you have any doubts what so ever... take it to a shop or send it to Canon.

That's my feeling. Go to a shop. I didn't say it was impossible or anything, but I think it probably too extensive and too risky for the average owner. If it were me, I would probably go for it, but I would not recommend it to others who are not completely confident with their skills.

Mark

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 25, 2013 21:46 |  #11

Talley wrote in post #16239786 (external link)
Mine is scratched by my rocket blower. same exact crap happen to me.

Fixing to order a precision however mine is a tool less swap.

The 6D is a different animal altogether and a replacement screen can easily be obtained through Canon or a third party.

Mark

Humble ­ Photographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
87 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 25, 2013 21:51 |  #12

How much do you think Canon or a shop would charge for this?

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 25, 2013 22:04 |  #13

Humble Photographer wrote in post #16239822 (external link)
How much do you think Canon or a shop would charge for this?

I have no clue. You can call and ask, but I don't think they will want to commit to a ball park figure on the phone to protect themselves in the event they identify other damage. (I know, there is no other damage, but they don't know that. They don't know what you might have done and can't assume anything). But ask anyway, you have nothing to lose.

Mark

Humble ­ Photographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
87 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 25, 2013 22:10 |  #14

Does changing this screen require the camera's focusing system to be recalibrated? If the answer is no, a local canon shop is probably going to be 2-3x cheaper, but if the camera has to be calibrated, I will have to send it to Canon who will charge me a lot more.

Humble ­ Photographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
87 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 26, 2013 07:59 |  #15

Anybody?

sponsored links

8,363 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scratched 5d Mark III focusing screen
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.