Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 02 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 13:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon GP-E2 GPS Advice?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 25, 2013 18:21 |  #16

The GP-E2 will record shooting direction with all supported (models that geotag with it directly, rather than in post-processing with the supplied Map Utility) cameras except the 7D, as long as you're using the GPS directly connected to the camera via hot shoe or USB cable (and, when using USB cable, the GP-E2 is aligned with the lens axis). Map Utility will display this; Irfanview will report it as part of the EXIF data. I haven't tried a lot of other apps with it, but direction is a recognized EXIF field.

I picked one up this summer and have been using it with my 5D3, 7D and EOS M. Yes, it works. But my impression is, comparing logged tracks from the GP-E2 to those from my Garmin eTrex 30, that it's not as certain of your location as the Garmin is - your track (if you log it) will zig-zag a fair bit.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,153 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 25, 2013 19:13 |  #17

Jon wrote in post #16239333 (external link)
...But my impression is, comparing logged tracks from the GP-E2 to those from my Garmin eTrex 30, that it's not as certain of your location as the Garmin is - your track (if you log it) will zig-zag a fair bit.

I notice the elevation from GP-E2 will be almost always wrong; also longitude & latitude will be off mark 100-200 meters mostly - you'll notice it easy.

Anyway GP-E2 is still very valuable if you're shooting in middle of nowhere.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 25, 2013 19:34 |  #18

Elevation from most GPS receivers is the least accurate value, due to the satellite geometry needed for precision lat-long fixes. And while I don't think Canon says, I'd be surprised if the GP-E2 reads more than 2 satellites simultaneously (2 channels) while most dedicated GPS units monitor 12 (or more) channels. The eTrex 30 uses the Russian Glonass satellites as well as the US NavStar GPS for a better constellation.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

nwlight
33 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 25, 2013 23:17 |  #19

I am very happy with the Canon GP-E2 with the 5D Mark III. For the most part, it just works. One unexpected feature that I like is that you can have the camera use it to sync up the clock. It's odd that my camera is now more accurate than my watch.

I always keep a spare battery since I will periodically forget to turn it off. As far as data getting deleted, that's only if you use it to keep track data. You have to periodically download those to your computer using Canon's Map Utility. I was pleasantly surprised that Apple Aperture can load the track data directly from the exported files. Of course, the GPS info on the pictures show up as well.

For most shoots, I don't look at the track data since it's just me walking through the same parks. However, it came in real handy when I went on a whale watching trip. The captain was showing navigation maps on the entire trip, but I still had no clue where we were. It was priceless being able to look at the track data after the trip.

lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 26, 2013 10:31 |  #20

Jon wrote in post #16239333 (external link)
The GP-E2 will record shooting direction with all supported (models that geotag with it directly, rather than in post-processing with the supplied Map Utility) cameras except the 7D, as long as you're using the GPS directly connected to the camera via hot shoe or USB cable (and, when using USB cable, the GP-E2 is aligned with the lens axis). Map Utility will display this; Irfanview will report it as part of the EXIF data. I haven't tried a lot of other apps with it, but direction is a recognized EXIF field.

I picked one up this summer and have been using it with my 5D3, 7D and EOS M. Yes, it works. But my impression is, comparing logged tracks from the GP-E2 to those from my Garmin eTrex 30, that it's not as certain of your location as the Garmin is - your track (if you log it) will zig-zag a fair bit.

It's compatible with the EOS M as well?

What does the EXIF field show for direction?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 26, 2013 10:41 |  #21

Full GPS info block from Irfanview Information EXIF viewer, EOS M photo:

GPS information: -
GPSVersionID - 2.3.0.0
GPSLatitudeRef - N
GPSLatitude - 36 7.80 0 (36.130000)
GPSLongitudeRef - W
GPSLongitude - 81 51.60 0 (81.860000)
GPSAltitudeRef - Sea level
GPSAltitude - 1239.80 m
GPSTimeStamp - 19 25 30.31
GPSImgDirectionRef - Magnetic direction
GPSImgDirection - 83
GPSDateStamp - 2013:08:03
Time recorded is Universal Time, not local.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 27, 2013 01:06 |  #22

thegfxman wrote in post #15070654 (external link)
Any advice/insights would be appreciated :-)

Dan

hi,

I bought one for use with my 5d3 on a trip to Taiwan/japan. total trip was ~3wks. I had it on logging the whole time (morning to night, not during sleeping). here is what I found:

1. change the battery every day or watch the blinking light carefully. when it starts to blink you usually have about a couple hours to change the battery.
2. the faster the logging rate the better the lock. that is, if you have the rate too slow it won't acquire lock for a LONG time, like many minutes.
3. do not use anything slower than 15s. any slower and it will lose the lock constantly.
4. the internal memory will not last 3wks if using 5s a lot. I found out the hard way. yeah, I know it's printed in the manual all the durations and stuff, but I screwed up. anyway, if you want it to last 3 wks, leave it @ 15s, turning off for the night. so I got the logging for the last 1/2 of the trip, but it overwrote the first 1/2.
5. the thing really sux indoors. sometimes it works if it's near windows. but if totally enclosed usually does not work. you'd figure that big o' thing would be better than your cell phone. sigh.

anyway........ that's what I learned. hope it helps.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 27, 2013 18:47 |  #23

As to losing lock indoors, GPS satellite signals are much lower power than cell phone signals; your cell phone typically relies on the GPS, nearby WiFi networks, and cell signals (which is why it takes longer than your battery life to get a fix in the middle of nowhere - no WiFi and no cell towers).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

DerDembo
53 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 28, 2013 15:34 |  #24

Jon wrote in post #16239492 (external link)
Elevation from most GPS receivers is the least accurate value, due to the satellite geometry needed for precision lat-long fixes. And while I don't think Canon says, I'd be surprised if the GP-E2 reads more than 2 satellites simultaneously (2 channels) while most dedicated GPS units monitor 12 (or more) channels.

I find that highly unlikely (but possible). In fact I am not aware of a current GPS chipset that allows for less than 12 simultaneous channels.

I wonder what x_tan means by "I notice the elevation from GP-E2 will be almost always wrong". Wrong compared to what? GPS's horizontal error should be around 15m in most situations [1]. If you are comparing GPS altitudes to altitudes on a printed map, you need to set your GPS to the Geodetic datum of your map. This ensures that your GPS is using the same geoid as the map makers.

Wikipedia states that for Sydney for example the difference between the GPS's WGS-84 geoid and whatever map datum is used in Australia is around 200m [2].

[1] http://www.xcmag.com …de-the-definitive-answer/ (external link)
[2] http://en.wikipedia.or​g …ic_datum#Horizo​ntal_datum (external link)

lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 29, 2013 03:30 |  #25

DerDembo wrote in post #16248055 (external link)
I find that highly unlikely (but possible). In fact I am not aware of a current GPS chipset that allows for less than 12 simultaneous channels.

I wonder what x_tan means by "I notice the elevation from GP-E2 will be almost always wrong". Wrong compared to what? GPS's horizontal error should be around 15m in most situations [1]. If you are comparing GPS altitudes to altitudes on a printed map, you need to set your GPS to the Geodetic datum of your map. This ensures that your GPS is using the same geoid as the map makers.

Wikipedia states that for Sydney for example the difference between the GPS's WGS-84 geoid and whatever map datum is used in Australia is around 200m [2].

How does one set that for the GP-E2?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 29, 2013 17:10 |  #26

One doesn't. You take what you get. Canon doesn't actually say which geoid they're using, but the default for GPS is WGS-84. I think it unlikely that they'd use any other without giving you the option.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 30, 2013 02:20 |  #27

Jon wrote in post #16251356 (external link)
One doesn't. You take what you get. Canon doesn't actually say which geoid they're using, but the default for GPS is WGS-84. I think it unlikely that they'd use any other without giving you the option.

Would GPSBabel convert from on to another?

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,153 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 30, 2013 04:59 |  #28

DerDembo wrote in post #16248055 (external link)

As I was shooting at the sea level, no way I was at 22m (all other the same one way or other).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 30, 2013 11:10 as a reply to  @ x_tan's post |  #29

hollis_f wrote in post #16252517 (external link)
Would GPSBabel convert from on to another?

No, afraid not. GPSBabel only converts message formats, essentially the wrappers around the calculated GPS information (Lat., Long., elevation, time, HDOP, VDOP, and the like). So it can convert between NMEA 0183 sentences (as used by Canon's log files among others) and Garmin's GPX (a version of XML), but it won't alter the positional information to reflect a new geoid.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

afoton
348 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 30, 2013 14:36 |  #30

cs2cs (part of proj http://trac.osgeo.org/​proj/ (external link) ) can probably do the conversion.

sponsored links

7,653 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon GP-E2 GPS Advice?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.