Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 25 Aug 2013 (Sunday) 03:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How bad is this? Or Good :)

hyper-VTEC
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 25, 2013 03:04 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: script
Please comment and suggest. I dont want to use flash and use ambient light

Raj
Canon 1000D,50mm f/1.8, 18-55mm Kit
Panasonic P&S TZ10

sponsored links
Qbx
Goldmember
3,961 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 25, 2013 03:36 |  #2

It's pretty bad - there's no picture!

-- Image Editing OK --

hyper-VTEC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 25, 2013 04:01 |  #3

Here it is now

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Raj
Panasonic P&S TZ10

lilkngster
723 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 25, 2013 06:59 |  #4

Would definitely benefit from the use of supplemental lighting, especially the shadows under her eyes. I also went through a phase of "ambient light shooting" only when I first started and in retrospect, that was one of the things that really limited my indoor low light photos. There are many resources online included POTN and strobist.com that can show you what modifying and adding to the ambient light can do.

Even a popup flash modifier (http://www.adorama.com​/FALSUW.html (external link)) will make a difference compared to no flash or popup alone. But instead of wasting money on those, I would suggest adding a flash to your collection and just start learning how to use it and then eventually taking it off camera.

6dII/80d/1dIII|Bronica Sq-AI/EOS 3/A2/A1

Chiefy
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 25, 2013 07:46 |  #5

lilkngster wrote in post #16237876 (external link)
Would definitely benefit from the use of supplemental lighting, especially the shadows under her eyes. I also went through a phase of "ambient light shooting" only when I first started and in retrospect, that was one of the things that really limited my indoor low light photos. There are many resources online included POTN and strobist.com that can show you what modifying and adding to the ambient light can do.

Even a popup flash modifier (http://www.adorama.com​/FALSUW.html (external link)) will make a difference compared to no flash or popup alone. But instead of wasting money on those, I would suggest adding a flash to your collection and just start learning how to use it and then eventually taking it off camera.

All excellent advice!

1DX Mark II/5D Mk IV - 16-35L f4 IS - 135L - 24-70L f2.8 IS II - 70-200L f2.8 IS II- 100-400 IIL IS - 100 Macro f2.8L IS - 85mm 1.4 IS L - Σ 35 1.4 Art - Σ 50 1.4 Art - Σ 18-250 - TC 1.4 II - EF 12/25 II - Profoto A1 - Manfrotto 055CXPRO3/Really Right Stuff BH55
Flickr (external link)

Qbx
Goldmember
3,961 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 25, 2013 08:31 as a reply to  @ Chiefy's post |  #6

Nothing is wrong with using ambient light as long as you have good light, a fast lens, and a steady hand (or a tripod). In this photo it looks like your light is marginal in quality and direction. Plus the crop is not helping you - you have a bright doorknob on the left drawing attention away from the subject. Too much space camera left. I'd crop tighter on the subject to eliminate the top of her knee, or maybe go vertical so we see more of her. Use a reflector to light her face better or if you are a purist and just want what 's there then have her turn to get better light on her face. If you are going for pure candid shots then that is not an option then you have to do some post processing work so her right eye doesn't look like she has a bruise under it. This image looks overall a little too dark to me so you might brighten it a bit too.

-- Image Editing OK --

hyper-VTEC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 25, 2013 08:52 |  #7

Qbx wrote in post #16238035 (external link)
Nothing is wrong with using ambient light as long as you have good light, a fast lens, and a steady hand (or a tripod). In this photo it looks like your light is marginal in quality and direction. Plus the crop is not helping you - you have a bright doorknob on the left drawing attention away from the subject. Too much space camera left. I'd crop tighter on the subject to eliminate the top of her knee, or maybe go vertical so we see more of her. Use a reflector to light her face better or if you are a purist and just want what 's there then have her turn to get better light on her face. If you are going for pure candid shots then that is not an option then you have to do some post processing work so her right eye doesn't look like she has a bruise under it. This image looks overall a little too dark to me so you might brighten it a bit too.

I was using a 8W CFL Warm White Color in a table lamp with a lamp shade, a 50mm F/1.8 and a tripod. I think the placement of light was definitely wrong. She also had a iPad lighting up her face, but i think i need to brighten the Ipad screen. Will re-work on the photo. Thanks a lot.

lilkngster wrote in post #16237876 (external link)
There are many resources online included POTN and strobist.com that can show you what modifying and adding to the ambient light can do.

Thanks. Going through strobist right now.

Raj
Panasonic P&S TZ10

hyper-VTEC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 25, 2013 10:37 |  #8

How about this? Used Canon 1000D built in flash and used a pamphlet to diffuse and direct the light to the ceiling

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Raj
Panasonic P&S TZ10

Qbx
Goldmember
3,961 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 25, 2013 11:05 as a reply to  @ hyper-VTEC's post |  #9

Not enough light is coming from the ceiling. If you look at her eyes, the catchlights are below her pupils; they need to be above. This below the face light is usually not very effective if you are trying to do flattering or even natural portraits. I think it would be better if you put a large white card above your camera and directed the light uptoward the card which would be placed to direct light downward toward her face.

-- Image Editing OK --

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 25, 2013 11:50 |  #10

Qbx is absolutely correct; almost everything we observe is lit from overhead so its immediately noticeable when that doesn't occur. You need to do justice to your subject.

Gear List

syclarac
148 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 25, 2013 18:48 |  #11

I would also bounce light to one side of her face. I think faces look best lit from the side like a classic Rembrandt lighting, and not flat like you have it. Try either bounce the light to side of the ceiling (not directly above her) or bounce it onto a wall. That way the face will look more flattering & sculpted.

www.suechoiphotography​.com (external link)
6D, 5D2, ∑15mm fisheye, 16-35 f2.8IIL, 50L, 100L macro
T3i, 17-55 f2.8, 50 f1.8

lilkngster
723 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 26, 2013 00:18 |  #12

As above, and apologies for being a little harsh, but looks like you shot your daughter and then mother, and all because of differences in how the subject was lit (as well as the outfits), showing you a quick example how lighting can complete change the appearance and the mood of your image.

Given your enthusiasm so far, I think we could all be even more helpful if you gave us a potential budget/tell us the feasibility of getting lighting gear. That way we could suggest appropriate things/give relevant comments.

I.e. your pamphlet diffuser/reflector is not working because your getting a lot of light leak around the pamplet, giving a lot of lighting coming from below her face (your flash was below her eyes). This is giving the not so flattering appearce, accentuating her skin imperfections and shadows around her chin, mouth, nose, and eyes, as PixelMagic is saying. I think I do see some reflected light coming from above based on her jawline, but its like 85% below and 15% above, so the below light predominates.

In terms of your first shot, I agree with the compositional comments from Qbx. Why not try to use a flashlight app on the ipad, brighting up the screen and use it as a off camera lighting source. Start with Rembrandt and light away!

6dII/80d/1dIII|Bronica Sq-AI/EOS 3/A2/A1

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 26, 2013 00:51 as a reply to  @ lilkngster's post |  #13

i guess you can invest in one shoot through umbrella , reflector and a flash . flash need not be ttl even a cheap manual flash will do. get a trigger and receiver (phottix aers) will do fine.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 27, 2013 00:32 |  #14

Your first one looks like a good setup but is just too dark.

The second one has more light, but not good light. There's really not a lot you can do with the built in flash. You can not get the light where you want it and they are really not strong enough for bounce lighting IMO.

I shoot available light too. That's why I always have a couple of ETTL flash units in my bag, available.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

hyper-VTEC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 27, 2013 02:48 |  #15

syclarac wrote in post #16239376 (external link)
I would also bounce light to one side of her face. I think faces look best lit from the side like a classic Rembrandt lighting, and not flat like you have it. Try either bounce the light to side of the ceiling (not directly above her) or bounce it onto a wall. That way the face will look more flattering & sculpted.

lilkngster wrote in post #16240098 (external link)
your pamphlet diffuser/reflector is not working because your getting a lot of light leak around the pamplet, giving a lot of lighting coming from below her face (your flash was below her eyes). This is giving the not so flattering appearce, accentuating her skin imperfections and shadows around her chin, mouth, nose, and eyes, as PixelMagic is saying. I think I do see some reflected light coming from above based on her jawline, but its like 85% below and 15% above, so the below light predominates.

In terms of your first shot, I agree with the compositional comments from Qbx. Why not try to use a flashlight app on the ipad, brighting up the screen and use it as a off camera lighting source. Start with Rembrandt and light away!

The mistake i did was keep the table lamp with a warm white bulb just near her feet, while she was sitting on a chair. That is why you can see light in the lower portion of ther eye getting reflected

Titus213 wrote in post #16243193 (external link)
Your first one looks like a good setup but is just too dark
I shoot available light too. That's why I always have a couple of ETTL flash units in my bag, available.

I dont have a budget in mind. I am still deciding whether to go ahead and spend on dSLR or go mirrorless, hence waiting to upgrade. I will look for a used flash and try out. Will post something soon, once i get some spare time from my wife to shoot her :)

Raj
Panasonic P&S TZ10

sponsored links

1,177 views & 0 likes for this thread
How bad is this? Or Good :)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.