Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 Aug 2013 (Monday) 04:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Convert manfrotto ball head advice required

Mr.Noisy
288 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 26, 2013 04:54 |  #1

Hello, I have recently started landscape photography, I'm using a manfrotto tripod with a manfrotto 498rc2 ball head, while I love the ball head I think there is too much play in the clamp and the plate causing a very very slight camera wobble, I have been looking at arca Swiss style heads and would rather save on the expense of a new ball head if I can convert the manfrotto 498, so my questions are can this conversion be done? And if so which clamp and plate would be the best option? Possibly looking at an L plate in the future, I have seen some Giottos and Kirk clamps and plate, can these be used? The cameras to support are 5D2/3 with 16-35, 24-105 and 70-200 f4 lenses attached, Any help/advice is greatly appreciated, thanks. ;)

Gear List

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
14,919 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 26, 2013 07:16 |  #2

I use the RRS lever clamp. You will ever regret making this change, it is the first place I start with a tripod set up.
1 clamp
2 head
3 tripod
That order in where I put the money

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,121 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 26, 2013 07:23 |  #3

Mr.Noisy wrote in post #16240403 (external link)
Hello, I have recently started landscape photography, I'm using a manfrotto tripod with a manfrotto 498rc2 ball head, while I love the ball head I think there is too much play in the clamp and the plate causing a very very slight camera wobble, I have been looking at arca Swiss style heads and would rather save on the expense of a new ball head if I can convert the manfrotto 498, so my questions are can this conversion be done? And if so which clamp and plate would be the best option? Possibly looking at an L plate in the future, I have seen some Giottos and Kirk clamps and plate, can these be used? The cameras to support are 5D2/3 with 16-35, 24-105 and 70-200 f4 lenses attached, Any help/advice is greatly appreciated, thanks. ;)

I just posted a review on a conversion set. I have a Manfrotto 494RC2 and converted it to an Arca Swiss

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=X8m6FpFeXgU (external link)

Link to review on my site or in YouTube video.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

Mr.Noisy
THREAD ­ STARTER
288 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 26, 2013 07:36 as a reply to  @ iazybandit's post |  #4

Thanks for the replies, 1KIND I did see your video when I got home, its exactly what I want to do but sourcing the parts required in the UK is proving to be a problem, but im not giving up just yet, all else fails I guess santa will be bringing a new ball head my way...:D

Gear List

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 26, 2013 07:56 |  #5

windpig wrote in post #16240599 (external link)
I use the RRS lever clamp. You will ever regret making this change....

You surely mean never?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,121 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 26, 2013 08:08 |  #6

Mr.Noisy wrote in post #16240632 (external link)
Thanks for the replies, 1KIND I did see your video when I got home, its exactly what I want to do but sourcing the parts required in the UK is proving to be a problem, but im not giving up just yet, all else fails I guess santa will be bringing a new ball head my way...:D

When you say "sourcing parts" are you trying to build it yourself?

They also sell on eBay. This is the one I reviewed - http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​35b67c9152 (external link)

This is the one without the extra base plate - http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​4d086121ce (external link)

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

Mr.Noisy
THREAD ­ STARTER
288 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 26, 2013 11:04 |  #7

1KIND wrote in post #16240689 (external link)
When you say "sourcing parts" are you trying to build it yourself?

No, I was just looking for the clamp and plate (parts) but here in the UK its a real pain, trying to get arca or RRS or any decent pieces here requires overseas shipping, but I havent given up yet ....... :D

Gear List

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 26, 2013 11:48 |  #8

I was looking at doing the same with my 496RC2 head a while ago, but it did seem it would cost me almost as much as buying a new head here in the UK, especially as i could sell the old one as well, so i ended up getting a Feisol CB-40 Head instead.

There was some good info in this thread i started on Talkphotpgraphy.
http://www.talkphotogr​aphy.co.uk …s/showthread.ph​p?t=471713 (external link)

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 26, 2013 12:21 as a reply to  @ dave_bass5's post |  #9

Yes this conversion can be done. I converted my Manfrotto 486 RC2 ball-head to Arca-Swiss-style with the Really Right Stuff B2-Pro 60mm Dual-Mounting screw clamp:

http://reallyrightstuf​f.com …with-dual-mounting&key=it (external link)

The thread on the 486 ball-steam is 3/8"-16 on, as well as the 484, 488 and many other Manfrottos. This clamp simply screws on to the manfrotto stem, but can also be used on other heads as it has a countersunk hole so it can be screwed onto a stem with a female thread (like the RRS ball-heads, and others) so it can be used even if you decide to replace the manfrotto head down the road.

I double-checked the thread size by taking the head to the hardware store and confirming with a 3/8"-16 bolt (no purchase necessary :p).

flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,919 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 26, 2013 13:06 |  #10

Lowner wrote in post #16240665 (external link)
You surely mean never?

I'm old and feeble, but yes, never:p

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 26, 2013 14:55 |  #11

I heard that Kirk has distribution in the UK. I'm not sure if this is the case but you should be able to check it out.

I converted my Manfrotto 468MG to Arca Swiss with a Kirk screw clamp. The quality is excellent. I chose Kirk because they are the only company who makes a one piece L bracket for my gripped 60D.

Since then I upgraded my whole tripod kit to RRS so I can give a first hand report: Kirk and RRS clamps are both excellent.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

badams
699 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 26, 2013 21:54 |  #12

Can I do the same conversion on a manfrotto RC3 system?

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,911 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 27, 2013 00:43 |  #13

I believe that Manfrotto has recently announced a new clamp which is compatible with Arca compatible plates

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Mr.Noisy
THREAD ­ STARTER
288 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 27, 2013 02:01 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #14

Getting RRS here is nigh on impossible, I have seen some Kirk stuff, and as Wilt said Manfrotto have recently released a arca compatible clamp here the MSQ6 top lock quick release system, but retails around £84-£85, for that kind of cost a new ball head may be the best option, but im still looking for a good clamp and plate at a reasonable price, I wont give up just yet :D

Gear List

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 27, 2013 02:02 |  #15

Wilt wrote in post #16243207 (external link)
I believe that Manfrotto has recently announced a new clamp which is compatible with Arca compatible plates

Yes but its not compatible with all the Manfrotto heads :rolleyes:

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

sponsored links

9,331 views & 0 likes for this thread
Convert manfrotto ball head advice required
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.