Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
Thread started 26 Aug 2013 (Monday) 07:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What to do when the 1Dx isn't fast enough.

darrell52
220 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 26, 2013 07:27 |  #1

Let me explain. Firstly, I don't own a 1Dx but that's not my point. Last week I shot the PEI Jazz & Blues Festival to provide images for their website ASAP as well as for future promotion/marketing. I took images until 12 midnight or so and had 15-20 images back to them for use on their website by 9:00 the next morning. Pretty good turn around, I'd say. The thing is, by the time my images hit the website there were already many similar shots posted by individuals directly from the event... stills and video provided almost instantaneously. Clearly image quality was different, mine shot with a 5D mkiii 70-200 f/2.8 combo versus the iPhone 5, but in some instances quality was secondary. Being first is most important. As event photographers what is the current theory on real time and conventional event photography and what are the best options. I'm thinking I will need to start packing a Sony DSC RX1. Thoughts?

Gear List: 5D MkIV, Canon 1Dx , 16-35 Mk II, 24-70 MkII, 70-200 f/2.8 MkII, 300 f/2.8 IS, 135 f/2.0, Zeiss 21 f/2.8, Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art, Zeiss 50 f/2.0, Tamron 90 f/2.8, Canon 14 f/2.8L, Canon 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,436 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 26, 2013 07:46 |  #2

Hmm. subscribing as this could be a really interesting and timely discussion. With cell phone quality rapidly improving and the ability to post almost instantly, and with the quality of online images pretty much removing nearly all the quality advantages of a decent DSLR, could the future of events be going the same way as of journalism?

Just looking at facebook this morning I see pictures of two family members who got married this weekend posted by several people and I'm sure the pro hasn't even downloaded his images yet, and i got to say, some of them are quite good.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

SuburbanSteve
114 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 26, 2013 10:52 |  #3

Interested in this thread as well.
My obvious answer would be the 6D I'm about to get myself.
It's wifi enabled, and lets you transfer images directly to facebook or whatever else social media. It comes with an iphone app as well that lets you manage all this.
Same thing has having a DSLR iphone :-)

stevebourdeauphotos (external link)

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 26, 2013 10:55 |  #4

I know that a lot of guys who do sports have a laptop with them during the game to upload images during the game. That is the only thing I can think of. But really, if you have an assignment where you have to post images immediately.... then you might need to use your phone as well lol.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 26, 2013 16:28 |  #5

As a wire photographer, you are expected to transmit at least 5-10 images at halftime (for football) and 20-30 images after the game. That's cropped, toned and captioned.

I shoot entertainment as well and generally have my images up within a few hours after leaving the concert.

One trick is to chimp and lock the images you want to transmit on the camera. The software we use can import only those locked images (saving time downloading), thus making things more efficient.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 27, 2013 10:28 |  #6

if you are really concerned w/ image turnaround speed, there are a few things you can do:

1 - shoot less
2 - shoot jpg
3 - do less post-processing (see #2)

if you don't need to caption (which can take a fair amount of time to add keywords to all the photos), there is no reason you can't stay abreast of the iPhones.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 27, 2013 22:15 |  #7

darrell52 wrote in post #16240618 (external link)
Let me explain. Firstly, I don't own a 1Dx but that's not my point. Last week I shot the PEI Jazz & Blues Festival to provide images for their website ASAP as well as for future promotion/marketing. I took images until 12 midnight or so and had 15-20 images back to them for use on their website by 9:00 the next morning. Pretty good turn around, I'd say. The thing is, by the time my images hit the website there were already many similar shots posted by individuals directly from the event... stills and video provided almost instantaneously. Clearly image quality was different, mine shot with a 5D mkiii 70-200 f/2.8 combo versus the iPhone 5, but in some instances quality was secondary. Being first is most important. As event photographers what is the current theory on real time and conventional event photography and what are the best options. I'm thinking I will need to start packing a Sony DSC RX1. Thoughts?

Newspaper and deadline photographers routinely turn around dozens of event images in short order for print and online galleries. They use Macbooks at events to select, ingest, caption and upload images to photo desks. This process has nothing to do with equipment. It's regularly done by Nikon and Canon shooters. Achieving this requires the correct technique and experience with quick processing.

It's typical at a sporting event for a newspaper deadline photographer to take a collection of first-half images, copy them to a Macbook, rapidly select the most useful pictures, prepare them and add captions, upload them to a newspaper's photo desk using WiFi or EVDO, then take pictures of third quarter action.

Much of the trick is to be absolutely aware of the location of your best images on a memory card, to know how to find them fast and to control your equipment so that the image files need a minimum of post processing

Saving time may include creating only JPEG files that are ready to go as shot. Also, you may need to develop an attitude that as a photographer, you will not control the final product or use of your images, and it'll be up to editors and page designers to make those decisions.

If you get a reputation of missing a publication's tight deadlines, you'll be searching for new work in short order.

If you need until "the next morning," that's not fast enough for deadline work.

darrell52
THREAD ­ STARTER
220 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 28, 2013 07:45 |  #8

Thanks to all for their input, much appreciated. It occurs to me that any event photographer who is not in a position to post good quality images/video from the event in addition to gathering more permanent images, will soon be lost. The idea of taking time to move aside and "process" images on a laptop seems overly cumbersome to me. I need a camera that can take images of similar quality and under similar lighting conditions as my 5D Mk3 and transfer them to the web with the same degree of ease as my iPhone does currently. Perhaps such a camera now exists and it's just up to me to research a bit to find it.

Gear List: 5D MkIV, Canon 1Dx , 16-35 Mk II, 24-70 MkII, 70-200 f/2.8 MkII, 300 f/2.8 IS, 135 f/2.0, Zeiss 21 f/2.8, Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art, Zeiss 50 f/2.0, Tamron 90 f/2.8, Canon 14 f/2.8L, Canon 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 28, 2013 08:04 |  #9

http://www.eye.fi/ (external link)

gear list

darrell52
THREAD ­ STARTER
220 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 28, 2013 08:41 |  #10

This sounds like a solution, the best I've seen. Anyone using this card?

SuburbanSteve
114 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 28, 2013 08:44 |  #11

Yea, that ^
or as I mentioned earlier, the 6d is wifi enabled: you can upload directly to web, or to your iphone, and from there wherever you want. It's a full-frame camera that's probably better than your 5d III for event photography.
It's what I'm getting next for live music events for sure!

stevebourdeauphotos (external link)

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 28, 2013 08:49 |  #12

why would a 6D be better for event photography than a 5D3?

gear list

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 28, 2013 09:40 |  #13

I'll occasionally use an eye-fi, although it seems to lock up my 5D3, and I have 2 eye-fi cards and 2 5D3 bodies, so others might also have the issue. When I notice a photo that I want to share, I convert from raw to jpg then copy the jpg to my eye-fi card, which can all be done in body within seconds of shooting. The file will automatically end up in my phone gallery where I can email it, or I can share my eye-fi upload site (like a dropbox) with the festival publicist so I don't even have to email it. The eye-fi card isn't necessary though - I can also use my USB OTG cable to transfer the shot to my phone, or if I wanted to I could use a microSD card in an SD adapter and keep that in my camera and copy images to that, then drop the microSD in my phone to email or dropbox. It's not too tough to email a few shots out before the first song is over.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,436 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2013 10:17 |  #14

narlus wrote in post #16246875 (external link)
why would a 6D be better for event photography than a 5D3?

Might be because of the built in Wifi, better low light focusing, and maybe a bit better at high ISO, but those are really stretching. I can't imagine an event that the 6D could do and either the MkIII or MkII for that matter could not except for the Wifi thing.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 28, 2013 11:09 |  #15

this is the first time i've heard that the 6D has better low light focusing and ISO performance. where did that come from?

gear list

sponsored links

6,552 views & 0 likes for this thread
What to do when the 1Dx isn't fast enough.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.