Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 Aug 2013 (Monday) 21:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Value for Money 82mm CPL Filter - Hoya, Kenko or B+W?

the.forumer
415 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 26, 2013 21:26 |  #1

as above - thinking of getting one on my 24-70 II, to get rid of reflections on glass. was trying to find photo comparisons using the same lens and different CPL filters, but couldn't get any.

which would u guys recommend? the price difference is huge among these 3 brands! currently leaning towards the Kenko (cheapest) - would need some concrete proof to move me towards the Hoya/B+W..

sponsored links
shooter00
151 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 26, 2013 22:56 |  #2

the.forumer wrote in post #16242805 (external link)
as above - thinking of getting one on my 24-70 II, to get rid of reflections on glass. was trying to find photo comparisons using the same lens and different CPL filters, but couldn't get any.

which would u guys recommend? the price difference is huge among these 3 brands! currently leaning towards the Kenko (cheapest) - would need some concrete proof to move me towards the Hoya/B+W..

Marumi for me,
Rates just as high as the B-W
http://www.lenstip.com …_Results_and_su​mmary.html (external link)

clacson
60 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 26, 2013 23:46 |  #3

shooter00 wrote in post #16243008 (external link)
Marumi for me,

+1
US: http://www.amazon.com …marumi+dhg+supe​r+circular (external link)
UK: http://www.amazon.co.u​k …keywords=marumi​+super+dhg (external link)

| Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 DG II HSM |
| Canon EOS M | EF-M 11-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EOS EF-M adapter |
| Film Age: Canon EOS 33v, Canon EOS 5 |

baj2k
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 26, 2013 23:47 |  #4

Check out this Marketplace Forum topic. The site is legit. Many here at POTN have used them with great success and savings. I got a BNIB B+W 82mm XS-Pro Kaesemann CPL with Nano MRC for $150 after the Greentoe Rebate of $25 (use discount code WELCOME25). Scroll down a bit past 1/2 way on page 2 and you'll see my post and how I did it. Also, I have several Marumi CPL's too and they are all excellent but with their recent large price increases they aren't the amazing value they used to be, making the B+W at $150 seriously worth considering too. You can't go wrong with either.

Greentoe Reverse Auction - B+W 82mm XS-Pro Kaesemann CPL with Nano MRC

Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 27, 2013 08:25 |  #5

Very pleased with my Marumi CPL.

nWmR12
669 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 27, 2013 19:49 |  #6

I also am very happy with my Marumi. There is some flare not bad but it is there otherwise it is fantastic. Specially for the price.

5DIII, 5Dc, 24-105L, 100-400L, 14mm Rokinon 21 ZE, 35L, 50 1.4, 50CM 2.5, Rokkor 58mm 1.2. 85 1.8, 135L |S90| Film: Mamiya RZ67 ProII/ Mamiya 7II | Rolleiflex 2.8C
flickr (external link)|500px (external link)|facebook (external link) - Travel/landscape | facebook (external link) - Portrait| Instagram (external link)
Portfolio (external link)

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,255 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 28, 2013 06:39 |  #7

I have a B+W 77mm XS-Pro Kaesemann CPL with Nano MRC and have been very happy with it. Previously I used a Hoya CPL. My main complaint about the Hoya was it was difficult to clean due to the type of coating they used -- I could never get the streaks out. I do not have that issue with the B+W, and the optical quality is excellent.

I have never tried a Kenko filter, so cannot help you there.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

the.forumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
415 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 01, 2013 01:17 |  #8

shooter00 wrote in post #16243008 (external link)
Marumi for me,

for a similar price, i think i have my eyes set on the B+W.

one question - as I will be getting the 82mm version, how much would the IQ be affected if i get a step-down adapter and use it on my other lenses, say the 70-200 f4 IS?

baj2k
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 02, 2013 22:04 |  #9

the.forumer wrote in post #16257722 (external link)

one question - as I will be getting the 82mm version, how much would the IQ be affected if i get a step-down adapter and use it on my other lenses, say the 70-200 f4 IS?

You won't see any difference. I do that all the time with my 70-200 MkII. Where you may see a difference is with wide angle lenses where the extra width of the step-up may cause some vignetting.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,255 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2008

Sep 03, 2013 08:23 |  #10

the.forumer wrote in post #16257722 (external link)

You shouldn't have any IQ issues. However, you will not be able to use your lens hood with the larger filter. That is why I keep a 67mm Hoya CPL filter for this lens.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 04, 2013 01:59 |  #11

I have a Hoya mc slim cpl and it seems to do the trick on my 16/35 on my 5d

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 07, 2013 08:57 |  #12

+1 the Marumi

It's a stepup ring, BTW. You are stepping up the female screw from 67 to 82.

This hood works well with the 70-200 f/4 IS:
http://www.ebay.co.uk …ageName=ADME:L:​OC:GB:3160 (external link)

Elie / אלי

sponsored links

4,973 views & 0 likes for this thread
Value for Money 82mm CPL Filter - Hoya, Kenko or B+W?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.