Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Aug 2013 (Monday) 15:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eos 10d help please

Holsrose
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 26, 2013 15:22 |  #1

Hi there, new to the forum so hello!

I have a canon eos 10d with a sigma 28-300mm lens. I went to donington and took a lot of nice pics and suddenly it stopped focusing on things. I thought it was the battery so got it back and charged and still the same prob. It works, and when I press the shutter half way it just keeps making the noise to try and focus but never does the beep or the green box.

I am not a techie and its been ages since I learnt much about cameras but I have no idea what I have done or if its a fault with the camera/lens......

Please help me!!!!!!!!!

sponsored links
Z0RR0
49 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 26, 2013 15:42 |  #2

Could be as simple as dirty contacts between the lens and body.

Do you get any error codes?

6D, 10D, Tokina 12-24, Canon 50 f1.8, 28-135 , 430EXII, GoPro 1&2

Holsrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 26, 2013 15:45 |  #3

I have never seen an error code,....would it come up on LCD screen?

Shackleton
956 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 26, 2013 15:49 |  #4

Could also be a problem with the lens itself. One of my 50MM's did that, turned out the autofocus switch was in between the on and off position(happened on a 20D). Check the contacts and switch, try a different lens if possible. Of course, on a body that old it could be a case of the camera deciding it's time to quit working. With the 70D coming soon lots are dumping previous bodies to make room/get money. I just got a low use 40D for $250-unless the camera has sentimental value maybe it's time to upgrade.

edit-switch the Af all the way off, then back to on and try to take a picture. That's what worked with my 50. Tried a shot, it buzzed like the noisy motor the 50 1.8 has, looked at the lens, switched off then on and it worked.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 26, 2013 16:55 |  #5

If you're in AI Servo, you won't get confirmation beep.
Also if the camera cant find something to contrasty enough to lock focus on it will try hunting until it does.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

N2bnfunn
706 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 27, 2013 00:22 |  #6

Do this try again lens, sounds to me your lens is freakin out..

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

Holsrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 27, 2013 02:37 |  #7

philwillmedia wrote in post #16242170 (external link)
Also if the camera cant find something to contrasty enough to lock focus on it will try hunting until it does.

How do i get out of AI Servo? I thought that had something to do with it as it didnt look familier. I must have pressed the wrong button somewhere.............​..:confused:

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Aug 27, 2013 03:06 |  #8

How long have you had this lens? is it a film version? those are known to have issues on digital bodies. Sigma needs to rechip it to use on digital.

if its meant for a digital body then thats not the issue.

I love my 10D unfortunately its starting to go downhill, the colors on that body are so nice SOOC. Kicks my EOS M's butt in the red channel also.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

mmahmood
167 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 27, 2013 03:16 |  #9

philwillmedia wrote in post #16242170 (external link)

the AI servo freaked me out for good half an hour on my 600d once, but thanks i was able to sort it out in the field.

@poster

dont know about 10d menu but here it is on my 600D, it should be single shot there.

http://www.hardwarezon​e.com.sg …images/600d-design005.jpg (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,996 posts
Gallery: 123 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 27, 2013 03:43 |  #10

Holsrose wrote in post #16243363 (external link)
How do i get out of AI Servo? I thought that had something to do with it as it didnt look familier. I must have pressed the wrong button somewhere.............​..:confused:

to change focus mode, press the AF-WB button & then turn the mode dial (by the shutter button) watch the bottom right of the top LCD to see which mode it's in. If you're after focus confirmation beeps, then you need "one-shot" mode.
don't select AI-focus as it usually isn't helpful...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Holsrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 27, 2013 04:00 |  #11

joeseph wrote in post #16243413 (external link)
to change focus mode, press the AF-WB button & then turn the mode dial (by the shutter button) watch the bottom right of the top LCD to see which mode it's in. If you're after focus confirmation beeps, then you need "one-shot" mode.
don't select AI-focus as it usually isn't helpful...

Thank you very much- will have a look when i get back tonight. That makes sense as the camera still takes shots most of time, just doesnt make the beep or the green box.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 27, 2013 05:50 |  #12

Reading the manual is helpful.
If you don't have the hard copy, go to Canon website and download it - then read it.
You'll be surprised at the information it cotains.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Holsrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 27, 2013 11:11 |  #13

Well that didn't work....on the green auto setting, the bottom right says AI Focus, it has AWB at the top left , and it still doesn't focus on anything- just a load of noise as the lens is trying to focus.......any more ideas?

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 27, 2013 11:19 |  #14

Here is a link to the brochures and manuals for 10D...

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …s_10d#Brochures​AndManuals (external link)

The camera instruction manual is 7.83MB file fourth from the bottom of the list. It's a PDF, so you'll need Acrobat Reader (free from Adobe if you don't have it) installed on your computer to view it.

There are several possible reasons for the focus problem you are seeing...

1. The electronic contacts between lens and camera might be dirty. To fix this, remove the lens and use a clean, lint free rag, dampened a little with a few drops of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, to carefully wipe the gold contacts on the back of the lens and the corresponding pins just inside the front of the camera. Be especially careful to avoid touching the lens optics and the mirror just inside the camera.

2. The camera battery may be old and tired and not charging fully. The BP511 and BP512 used in 10D originally are good for roughly 400 recharge cycles. Replacement batteries are cheap and plentiful, and newer ones are much higher power capacity than the originals. There are clones (non-Canon OEM) that cost very little... In the past I've bought them for as little as $8 each, including shipping.

3. The lens' focusing system may be failing. If so, it's unlikely to be practical to repair an older Sigma, so you might want to look around and consider a newer lens (I'd recommend a lightly used Canon 28-135 IS, widely available and relatively inexpensive... about $200 used... and very likely a far better lens than the Sigma you have). If you end up looking for a new lens, be aware the 10D cannot be fitted with Canon EF-S lenses. It's the last crop sensor model that's EF only, the Digital Rebel/300D that was introduced a few months later and all xxD and xxxD cameras since can use both EF and EF-S lenses. Third party "crop only" lenses (Sigma, Tamron and Tokina, primarily) all work fine on 10D.

4. The camera's focusing system may be failing. This is unlikely, but possible. Hope not, it's probably not worth repairing at this point, unless you can find someone locally to do it cheaply. 10D are a great little camera, the first DSLR to sell for under $2000 US ($1 under, originally), but now simply aren't worth a whole lot.

5. And - yes - from your description, it might nothing wrong with camera or lens.... simply be that you have the camera in AI Servo focus mode...

If that's the case, there is nothing wrong with learning to use AI Servo. In fact, I'd highly recommend it, to get the best out of your camera. I keep all my cameras in AI Servo by default, since it can be used with both stationary and moving subjects. I only switch to One Shot when I want it's somewhat higher degree of focus precision and the subject is completely stationary.

Essentially the 10D has two focus modes: One Shot for stationary subjects and AI Servo for moving subjects. You should learn when and how to use both of them. (There is also AI Focus, but this really isn't a different focus mode at all... In AI Focus the camera is supposed to decide for you whether or not the subject is moving, and then use the appropriate mode: One Shot or AI Servo. I have found this less than successful on several cameras and generally recommend simply avoiding it. Decide for yourself whether or not the subject is moving and set the appropriate mode yourself.)

You mention the "beep" and green LED, which are Focus Confirmation and only work in One Shot, with stationary subjects. The camera focuses and stops and stays at that point of focus, giving you those confirmation signals that focus has been achieved.

That's great when the subject isn't moving. But it won't work if the subject is moving. If there is movement, the locked focus will usually be wrong before you complete pressing the shutter release, and the subject will be out of focus in your shot. So you have to use AI Servo, which focuses continuously tracking the moving subject, never stops and locks, so has nothing to confirm... That's why you don't get the "beep" and green LED in AI Servo mode. Learn to use it. You'll need it if you ever shoot anything that's moving (or if you are moving while taking the shot of something stationary... such as shooting from a moving car, train or boat).

To get the best out of your camera, I highly recommend you spend a little time viewing this instruction video: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=iAx86nblZ2g (external link) plus the other two in the series, all about the Canon auto focus systems and how to use them. Each video is approx. a half hour in length. It will be time well spent, I can assure you!

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Holsrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 27, 2013 16:06 as a reply to  @ amfoto1's post |  #15

Thanks for all your replies. I have shown my dad and it basically doesn't work on auto on the auto setting, the lens works fine in manual mode just not on autofocus. Dad said the sigmas quite often go wrong , just said I should do more manual shooting lol !! Anyone else had this problem'?

sponsored links

2,137 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eos 10d help please
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.