Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 25 Aug 2013 (Sunday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Super Old Tripod

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,250 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Aug 25, 2013 14:29 |  #1

edit: resolved in post 15

Can I put a new head on this thing?

The top post is about half an inch diameter (maybe 5/8") and has one of those clips that tend to fly off at mach 1.3 toward the furthest, darkest corner of the room when you remove it. The post is not the same piece of metal as the metal it's attached to, but considering how it is put together, I'd guess it's permanent.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 25, 2013 18:10 |  #2

I'd first look at the bottom aluminium (not black) centre post and see if it unscrews from anything under it. Looks like it just possibly might. If so, and if the attaching screw is 1/4-20 thread or 3/16-16 thread it'll be easy to put a more recent model head on the tripod. Incidentally, what's the model name? Can't quite read it in the photos; it looks like "Redi-Tilt". Googling whatever it is might bring up some expert advice.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
9,250 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 25, 2013 18:45 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #3

It's a Davis and Sanford. I pulled that black collar down and found a little pin holding the top most part.

looks like the mach 1.3 piece (blue arrow) is the only place anything's coming off.

HOSTED PHOTO

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

ScatterCr
384 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 25, 2013 19:10 |  #4

Put a piece of cloth or tissue behind the clip while you carefully push on it with two screwdrivers, that should keep it from flying too far.

Erik
Gear | flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
9,250 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 27, 2013 08:53 |  #5

ScatterCr wrote in post #16239431 (external link)
Put a piece of cloth or tissue behind the clip while you carefully push on it with two screwdrivers, that should keep it from flying too far.

going to leave it where it is until i know there is something else i can do with it. It's looking like there isn't anything that can be done. It's a good tripod, air cushioned and sturdy, but the head is very heavy and one of the handles is broken.

i guess this thing was made before anyone decided to set or use standard attachments.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 27, 2013 10:56 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #6

If your handy there is always a way to adapt something new to fit onto something old :) The only way to know for sure is to start taking it apart, just take pictures if all else fails you can put it back together.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 27, 2013 14:08 |  #7

I'd guess that the head is not easily swapped. Just pull that C clip off, and the whole head can probably be lifted off. From there, you'll have to see if anything is screwed into the center column. If there is, then it shouldn't be too hard to adapt. If there isn't, then a drill and tap would solve that.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
9,250 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 27, 2013 15:53 |  #8

klr.b wrote in post #16244810 (external link)
I'd guess that the head is not easily swapped. Just pull that C clip off, and the whole head can probably be lifted off. From there, you'll have to see if anything is screwed into the center column. If there is, then it shouldn't be too hard to adapt. If there isn't, then a drill and tap would solve that.

without pulling off the c clip (thanks for the reminder of what that thing is called), i'd say i'm 99 percent sure there is nothing under there except a bare post, no threads, no way of removing it.

This is my uncle's tripod, so making use of it is mostly just for posterity's sake. I'm pretty handy, but i feel i'd have to take it to someone to have the top of the post threaded.

next question, what do i do with these? :D

HOSTED PHOTO

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 27, 2013 15:57 |  #9

My tripod is older than that. :D

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

YARDBURNER
116 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 27, 2013 17:39 as a reply to  @ Biffbradford's post |  #10

Send your pics and questions to Tiffen.
They have the Davis and Sanford license.

You might be able to use the quick change screw system

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 27, 2013 18:18 |  #11

hes gone wrote in post #16245065 (external link)
=he's gone;16245065]without pulling off the c clip (thanks for the reminder of what that thing is called), i'd say i'm 99 percent sure there is nothing under there except a bare post, no threads, no way of removing it.

This is my uncle's tripod, so making use of it is mostly just for posterity's sake. I'm pretty handy, but i feel i'd have to take it to someone to have the top of the post threaded.

Looks like a reflector for a flash-bulb from what little I can see. If you can find an electrical socket and incandescent or fluorescent bulb that fit the opening, you can use it as a "hot light" reflector. Post a couple of more photos of it and we'll see if I was right in my guess.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
9,250 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 27, 2013 19:22 |  #12

Biffbradford wrote in post #16245073 (external link)
My tripod is older than that. :D

the little googleing i did suggested the RTS model of this tripod was from the 70's. Comparing what i saw, and considering they probably added the RTS designation later, i'd think this one was older.

Any guesses on the age of this beast?

YARDBURNER wrote in post #16245285 (external link)
Send your pics and questions to Tiffen.
They have the Davis and Sanford license.

You might be able to use the quick change screw system

Thanks, another piece of the puzzle. The head on this unit uses the Quick Change screw, but it's at the very top of the head. Until now i didn't know what they called it, heck it wasn't until recently that it dawned on me to back out the screw that holds in the Quick Change part so i could release my camera from the tripod.

Also glad to know Tiffen is distributing/mfg the brand name if nothing else.

Jon wrote in post #16245373 (external link)
Looks like a reflector for a flash-bulb from what little I can see. If you can find an electrical socket and incandescent or fluorescent bulb that fit the opening, you can use it as a "hot light" reflector. Post a couple of more photos of it and we'll see if I was right in my guess.

it is indeed a reflector for a flash bulb, that question was kind of tongue in cheek (see my sig line :D)

I also have a few "press cameras", backs and i might even have the battery pack that held and fired the flash!! Even the best looking lens i have is in pretty rough shape.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 27, 2013 22:38 |  #13

hes gone wrote in post #16245065 (external link)
=he's gone;16245065]without pulling off the c clip (thanks for the reminder of what that thing is called), i'd say i'm 99 percent sure there is nothing under there except a bare post, no threads, no way of removing it.

If that's a problem, then you could just remove the column and take some good measurements. Then you can just order a replacement column with the same measurements and a standard 3/8" stud in the base.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Echo63
Goldmember
2,867 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2013 10:17 |  #14

hes gone wrote in post #16245518 (external link)
=he's gone;16245518]
I also have a few "press cameras", backs and i might even have the battery pack that held and fired the flash!! Even the best looking lens i have is in pretty rough shape.

Yea that happens - press photographers are using their gear a lot (like every day) and sometimes aren't too gentle on it - my 1dmk4 bodies are showing wear from two years of use - older press cameras (speedgraphics etc) will have been used longer than that.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
9,250 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Apr 12, 2017 21:41 |  #15

Hell yeah.

Excited that I finally put this together, and embarrassed it took me this long. I even said in the first post it looked like a 5/8 pin.

Only potential downside is losing the ability to smash the previous pointy steel head into a mugger's head late at night in a dark alley. That thing would do some damage.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

5,473 views & 0 likes for this thread
Super Old Tripod
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.