Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Aug 2013 (Tuesday) 21:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question with DxO Mark rating (Sigma 85)

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 27, 2013 21:36 |  #1

So I was just playing with their lens comparison chart and all and I compared 3 lenses.

Canon 85 L ii
Canon 70-200 Lii
Sigma 85 1.4

All on Canon 6D bodies. Their conclusive results returned the following.

http://www.dxomark.com …and3)/Canon/(ca​mera3)/836 (external link)

Sigma rated as the sharpest lens. Is this accurate?

sponsored links
kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 27, 2013 21:40 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

yea I've read about that too. They rated Sigma 85 as the top lens on Canon ff body.

I think it's just an overall score, the difference is extremely small if you look at each individual attributes...

Btw I'm very satisfied with mine :)

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

Rittrato
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 27, 2013 21:43 |  #3

kin2son wrote in post #16245902 (external link)
yea I've read about that too. They rated Sigma 85 as the top lens on Canon ff body.

I think it's just an overall score, the difference is extremely small if you look at each individual attributes...

Btw I'm very satisfied with mine :)

Oh yeah, I agree. I'm not really a DxO nerd but I was just curious. Sigma has been making some amazing lens.

I have an Sony RX1 which I believe is listed # 4 on their Best Camera Sensor's to date and its glued to a Zeiss 35 F/2.0 Sonnar lens, another amazing lens but the Sigma 35 1.4 and 6D combo kicked its butt :lol:

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 27, 2013 21:52 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Rittrato wrote in post #16245910 (external link)
I have an Sony RX1 which I believe is listed # 4 on their Best Camera Sensor's to date and its glued to a Zeiss 35 F/2.0 Sonnar lens, another amazing lens but the Sigma 35 1.4 and 6D combo kicked its butt :lol:

That I agree.

I was viewing some of the samples at Dpreview of the new RX1R and whilst it's good, my 5D3 + Sigma 35 is definitely better in terms of pure IQ and sharpness.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

seanlancaster
198 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 27, 2013 23:46 |  #5

I love my 6D and Sigma 35, but I had the RX1 for a few months. I don't think it's accurate to say the canon and sigma combo "definitely" has better IQ and sharpness. I don't think either statement is correct. But I'd be okay with a draw. ;~)

I am Sean Lancaster on Flickr (external link)
Sony A7, Contax G 90/2.8, Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 II, & FE Zeiss 55/1.8 (<-most used)
Sony NEX 5N and many lenses including many Canon FD

Rittrato
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 28, 2013 01:35 as a reply to  @ seanlancaster's post |  #6

I thought sharpness wise, the Sigma and Canon 6D combo were far better than the RX1. But in terms of overall IQ, I also believe the RX1 has the slight edge, especially in dynamic range and color depth. Of course, the 6D and Sigma 35 1.4 can get you more keepers BUT at the expense of carrying a huge DSLR and lens.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 28, 2013 05:04 |  #7

Rittrato wrote in post #16245889 (external link)
Sigma rated as the sharpest lens. Is this accurate?

Beats me, I would characterize all three of those lenses as very sharp and pretty much stop there. My decision basis between them (if I was shopping) would pretty much never be based on supposed differences in sharpness, as I doubt a consistent difference between these three would be of note.

Do you need a zoom? Do you need faster than f/2.8? How important is price to you? How has your personal experience been with Sigma lenses and focus accuracy? These should inform your decision.

I'll also point out that according to DxO, the EF 75-300 1:4-5.6 IS lens is better than the EF 300 1:4L IS USM. So I'm not sure I'd take their results as absolutely trustworthy.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

seanlancaster
198 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 28, 2013 06:59 |  #8

dxomark showing rx1 sharper than 5d3 and a sigma 35 (external link)

and tied with the 6D combo (external link)

Sony A7, Contax G 90/2.8, Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 II, & FE Zeiss 55/1.8 (<-most used)

Rittrato
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 28, 2013 10:45 |  #9

You had the 5D Mark ii. With the 5D3, the Sigma performed slightly better.

seanlancaster
198 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 28, 2013 11:48 |  #10

Rittrato wrote in post #16247228 (external link)
You had the 5D Mark ii. With the 5D3, the Sigma performed slightly better.

The 5D3 isn't right there with the other 5Ds and I dragged to the bottom one in the bunch. Oops. In any regard, they're essentially the same, which is why I noted it's probably a draw. And personally, I've gone with the Sigma 35 myself. ;)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 28, 2013 22:45 |  #11

If you look at the actual sharpness score (P-MPIX) the 85mm and the 70-200 are both the same. The overal DxO score is kind of odd in that it heavily weights things like T-stop. Since the 85mm is 2 stops faster than the 70-200 f2.8, it gets a big bonus in the overal score. Of course that is irrelevant if you value the range and/or don't need a faster lens. That's the same reason the 85L scores so high even though it is less sharp and has more vignetting and CA than the 70-200. It's still 2+ stops faster, so big bump in the overall score.

I think you could have DXO test a Vaseline smeared f0.95 lens and it would achieve the highest overall score due to their silly score formula.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 29, 2013 03:17 |  #12

I always find kinda surprising that Canon 70-200 L II has such terrible T-stop rating. Perhaps Canon should sell it as Canon EF 70-200mm f/3.6L IS II USM instead :confused:

Then again I guess it's unavoidable, 70-200 f/2.8 is such a complex design...

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

seanlancaster
198 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 29, 2013 08:11 |  #13

tkbslc wrote in post #16249159 (external link)
If you look at the actual sharpness score (P-MPIX) the 85mm and the 70-200 are both the same. The overal DxO score is kind of odd in that it heavily weights things like T-stop. Since the 85mm is 2 stops faster than the 70-200 f2.8, it gets a big bonus in the overal score. Of course that is irrelevant if you value the range and/or don't need a faster lens. That's the same reason the 85L scores so high even though it is less sharp and has more vignetting and CA than the 70-200. It's still 2+ stops faster, so big bump in the overall score.

I think you could have DXO test a Vaseline smeared f0.95 lens and it would achieve the highest overall score due to their silly score formula.

DxO scores things like sports and wildlife shooting, so they explain that faster lenses are necessary to freeze the action at fast shutter speeds. Of course, they also explain that "fast" lenses are f/4 and wider (and T-Stop f/3.2 or better). Merely having a fast lens doesn't ensure a high score. They also give points for Portraits and Studio for faster lenses (same speed I noted previously) to provide the thin depth of field to create a more pleasant subject separation.

Sure, if you don't need f/4 and faster lenses then the DxO scores for portraits and sports and wildlife and street photography, etc. then the DxO scores probably aren't helpful to you. But most people do shoot the kinds of photography they test for. Finally, speed alone doesn't ensure a high score (e.g., the Carl Zeiss Planar T 50mm f/1.4 ZE Canon is a very low scoring lens on DxOMark).

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 29, 2013 10:43 |  #14

seanlancaster wrote in post #16249890 (external link)
DxO scores things like sports and wildlife shooting, so they explain that faster lenses are necessary to freeze the action at fast shutter speeds. Of course, they also explain that "fast" lenses are f/4 and wider (and T-Stop f/3.2 or better). Merely having a fast lens doesn't ensure a high score. They also give points for Portraits and Studio for faster lenses (same speed I noted previously) to provide the thin depth of field to create a more pleasant subject separation.

I think you are mixing their camera and lens reviews. The lens reviews don't mention portraits or wildlife.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

seanlancaster
198 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 29, 2013 10:58 |  #15

tkbslc wrote in post #16250281 (external link)
I think you are mixing their camera and lens reviews. The lens reviews don't mention portraits or wildlife.

I see them mentioned on this page: http://www.dxomark.com​/index.php/About/Lens-scores (external link) (and they do note that lens scores are dependent on the camera/sensor being used, which makes sense).

sponsored links

2,855 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question with DxO Mark rating (Sigma 85)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.