Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 27 Aug 2013 (Tuesday) 20:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flashless Wedding

cleyvosier
848 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 27, 2013 20:27 |  #1

I am supposed to do a wedding tomorrow inside of a church per request there will be no strobes or flashes allowed because of distractions. How will i set up my camera so that my photos are nicely exposed. What should i start out my setting on my camera? I use a canon 50d i own a light meter and a calibrated gray target. what should i do?
HELP SOMEBODY. I own 2 lenses an 85mm 1.8 and a 55-250mm

Gear- Canon 50d, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM,Alien Bee 1600 & csr+ reciever, Sekonik L-358
Feedback

sponsored links
amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 27, 2013 20:57 |  #2

I know this isn't what you want to hear but you are very poorly equipped to do weddings. No backup camera, no on-camera flash, no fast zooms, no wide-angle coverage. I hope there's somebody else besides you taking photos at this wedding.

As for the settings, you need high ISO and wide aperture to register enough ambient light inside a dark church. 50D's usable ISO is around ISO1600. Just pray that the church has a good amount of natural light.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

cleyvosier
THREAD ­ STARTER
848 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 27, 2013 21:01 |  #3

i also have a 7d as a back up like i mentioned no flash allowed

Gear- Canon 50d, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM,Alien Bee 1600 & csr+ reciever, Sekonik L-358
Feedback

amirg
532 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 27, 2013 21:05 as a reply to  @ cleyvosier's post |  #4

How is that the better camera is backup for the older one? I would use the 7D as main as you can crank up the ISO a little higher. You need a wide-angle prime like 35L or something like the 17-55/2.8. Your kit zoom lens won't cut it unfortunately and your 85/1.8 is too long on your crop body to be of much use for many shots.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

cleyvosier
THREAD ­ STARTER
848 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 27, 2013 21:18 |  #5

was using the older one before i use new one im backwards i know

Feedback

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 27, 2013 21:19 |  #6

Hi Cleyvosier - without reiterating what amirg said I too would also use the 7D as your main body.

Your best chance for adequate exposures will be to use the 85 f/1.8 - a fine, sharp, fast lens I own and enjoy - along with ISO 1600 to start. That will give you a little bit of noise, but it will allow you to use higher shutter speeds to freeze action and bit more DOF when you need it.

Hopefully the lighting will be somewhat uniform in the church. If it is not, identify the main, different lighting zones. Since you own a light meter, that will be an advantage. Get INCIDENT meter readings in these spots which will tell you how much light is falling ON the subjects. A reflected reading will be anomalous in these circumstances since it will be reading white dresses and black tuxedos. Once you get a solid reading, set your camera on MANUAL with these. MANUAL will lock it in so it won't fluctuate. As long as you are in a uniformly illuminated area, it is to your advantage to have the metering locked in. You can always check by chimping the LCD and looking at the histogram, although the later may not be terribly useful in dark areas.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 27, 2013 21:21 |  #7

One other thing - if you will use the 55-250 that is a pretty slow lens so I would mount that on the second body and put that on a tripod. This way the lower light levels will not be such a major issue, relative to the "action" shots you'll be taking with the 85 f/1.8 Aim it at the front and use a cable release.

Have you done a wedding before and are they paying you for this?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 27, 2013 23:04 |  #8

High iso (3200 or so), P mode, shoot RAW.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 27, 2013 23:13 |  #9

I would be renting some gear if I were you .....

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 28, 2013 10:35 |  #10

If you shot at high ISO with your 50D you may get some banding depending on exposure. I used to with my 50D but mostly when I used 6400. I if you do there is NR software with anti banding options out there.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 28, 2013 12:06 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #11

Try to find someone to help you out. My Opinion is there is no such thing as a flashless wedding. There will be plenty of challenges with lighting through out the day and Knowing how to overcome those Challenges with supplemental lighting is what separates the newbs from the pros. You will screw a lot of things up w/o a flash and the knowledge of how to use it properly...... and you might get your friends P/O'D at you,,Not worth it. Get some help is my suggestion.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,597 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 28, 2013 12:12 |  #12

tim wrote in post #16246082 (external link)
High iso (3200 or so), P mode, shoot RAW.

this is the best answer

Gearlist

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 28, 2013 14:19 |  #13

Ratjack wrote in post #16246106 (external link)
I would be renting some gear if I were you .....

No truer words were spoken. RENT RENT RENT.... You do not have enough equipment for a wedding.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 28, 2013 15:00 |  #14

Do you do weddings regularly or was this just a favour, etc?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 28, 2013 17:00 |  #15

umphotography wrote in post #16247472 (external link)
Try to find someone to help you out. My Opinion is there is no such thing as a flashless wedding. There will be plenty of challenges with lighting through out the day and Knowing how to overcome those Challenges with supplemental lighting is what separates the newbs from the pros. You will screw a lot of things up w/o a flash and the knowledge of how to use it properly...... and you might get your friends P/O'D at you,,Not worth it. Get some help is my suggestion.

Are you suggesting he use a flash at a wedding where it has been stated that flash is not allowed? When I shoot dance comps and recitals it is strickly forebiddin to use a flash. Doing so would not only get me kicked out on my @ss, it could jeopordize the safety of the dancers on stage. ..... Switch to the 7d, up the ISO, rent a few fast lenses and go for it.

sponsored links

3,775 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flashless Wedding
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.