Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Aug 2013 (Wednesday) 21:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm flat and boring. Help me Lightroom. help

swoffa
THREAD ­ STARTER
452 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 16, 2013 22:38 |  #31

OK tried colouring the BG along with a few more edits.
Decreased the teeth whitening and decreased the vibrance. Added a little skin smoothing.
It's gone a little funky on the edge of her left arm. Is it noticeable too much.

How does this rate now?
Which background?

IMAGE: http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/826/zat2.jpg

Tweaked the eyes for more colour.
IMAGE: http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/541/sksu.jpg

sponsored links
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 17, 2013 03:44 |  #32

I prefer the second, dark grey version. One thing I'd fix is the puffiness under her eyes. Lightroom has limited tools for these sorts of problems so I'd suggest using the Adjustment Brush, set the Effect drop-down box to Dodge (Lighten), resize the brush so that it is smaller than the dark line under her eye, set the brush opacity to about 20 percent and paint over the dark lines. Just be sure not to totally remove the puffiness, you just want to reduce it by lightening the shadow are of the portion of skin.

Alternatively you can use the Spot Removal tool, set it to Clone with Opacity no greater than about 25 percent and repeatedly draw over the dark line while sampling from her cheeks.

Gear List

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 17, 2013 07:33 |  #33

Here is my quicky edit. This would be my flow for any portrait probably....I like doing individual shots in PS so I worked in there but the same settings are also in LR. I fixed the levels, adjusted the curves by adding contrast, made the light warmer. Then I smoothed out her skin, whitened her teeth and cloned out various things. I tried to fix the circular crease on the left side of her mouth but gave up because it would take too long. Cropped to 8x10 flattened and re sized for web.

Then I looked at the exif and saw that you shot this at 2.8. You might want to stop down some maybe f/4 or 5.6? At 100mm f/2.8 you must have been maybe 6 or 8 feet away and that doesn't gave you a whole lot of in focus area to work with. Maybe bounce the flash off the other wall and get a reflector under her left side to catch some of that bounced flash?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i586.photobucke​t.com …/5P0A6708_zps01​b2fc9e.jpg (external link)

Before:
PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i586.photobucke​t.com …e/2222222_zps24​49969d.jpg (external link)

armis
903 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 17, 2013 08:50 |  #34

This is what I've got. Maybe a bit overboard on the skin smoothing (?) and I haven't done any fancy work on the catchlights.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

swoffa
THREAD ­ STARTER
452 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 17, 2013 09:23 |  #35

You guys know your software well.

Kronie, Could you explain what you did to the levels to "fix" them please. I play with curves but never manage to quite get it right. Is this where your fixing them? If you don't mind answering, what exactly are you looking at in the histogram to adjudicate where the labels should be.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, really much appreciated.

swoffa
THREAD ­ STARTER
452 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 29, 2013 07:18 |  #36

OK, took my two speed lights in today. One behind her shooting at the wall, the other in front left of camera through white umbrella. It was a little hot on her face so I've burned that down a bit. Bit of skin smoothing too on her face.
Really wanted to get another light to camera right but was hampered by the bloody wall.

What are your thoughts on this one?

IMAGE: http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/196/4e5p.jpg

reefvilla
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 30, 2013 10:50 as a reply to  @ swoffa's post |  #37

To me, the light backgrounds are no good for her. I would do a darker background and a light behind her to separate the hair from the BG.

Very pretty model and looks like a good sport!

-----------Canon EOS R -----------

dropmyload
642 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 30, 2013 11:28 |  #38

Subscribed...I just bought two speedlites and really need to learn how to use them.

Canon 80D, Canon 100-400L, EF 50 II
Fuji X-T20, 18-55 2.8-4, Samyang 12/2
Vivitar 28/2.5 RE, Auto-Topcor 3.5cm/2.8, Helios 44-2, Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8, Tele Lentar 135/2.8, Soligor 180/3.5
Yongnuo 468II, 565 EX & some 622C
My Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

5,482 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm flat and boring. Help me Lightroom. help
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.