Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DxO assess the Canon 70D's sensor performance

JoYork
Goldmember
3,079 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 29, 2013 11:16 |  #31

When Canon were winning the megapixel race, Nikon claimed a high MP count wasn't important because they had better noise handling. Then Nikon brought out a gigantic MP sensor and then Canon began to stress how much more important low noise was.

It's similar to the way Intel and AMD traded blows during the noughties on whether or not megaherts matter.

Nikon have a great camera and lens lineup, as do Canon. I don't worry too much about which company's gear is technically better than the other as most of the time the biggest factor in how good my photos turn out is yours truly :rolleyes:

Jo
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,716 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 29, 2013 11:27 |  #32

agree 100%
its the pic
hi 5

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 29, 2013 11:33 |  #33

gjl711 wrote in post #16250338 (external link)
The one area where Canon seems to have improved with bot the 6D and now the 70D is in pattern noise. Though the images are pretty much the same say between the 5DII and the 6D or the 60D and the 70D, in the newer cameras pattern noise seems to be much less prevalent.

Does this really matter if you don't pull up the shadows by crazy amounts in Lightroom? Or do you see this in SOOC JPGs and RAWs?

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,027 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 29, 2013 11:37 |  #34

jrbdmb wrote in post #16250427 (external link)
Does this really matter if you don't pull up the shadows by crazy amounts in Lightroom? Or do you see this in SOOC JPGs and RAWs?

Obviously, the more you pull the shadows, the more the effect, but you also see it in plain high ISO images as well without doing any shadow recovery.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 29, 2013 12:26 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #16250353 (external link)
Not that easy if you have a bunch of Canon glass. I think you already know this but just want to be a jerk...right.

Evidently you do prefer Nikon...I suspected all along. Time for you to switch and quit pestering us....

Dave

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,065 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 29, 2013 12:28 |  #36

Hogloff wrote in post #16250353 (external link)
Not that easy if you have a bunch of Canon glass. I think you already know this but just want to be a jerk...right.

No more so than you...right?

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,065 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 29, 2013 12:30 |  #37

JoYork wrote in post #16250387 (external link)
When Canon were winning the megapixel race, Nikon claimed a high MP count wasn't important because they had better noise handling. Then Nikon brought out a gigantic MP sensor and then Canon began to stress how much more important low noise was.

It's similar to the way Intel and AMD traded blows during the noughties on whether or not megaherts matter.

Nikon have a great camera and lens lineup, as do Canon. I don't worry too much about which company's gear is technically better than the other as most of the time the biggest factor in how good my photos turn out is yours truly :rolleyes:

As is the case 99.99% of the time I think. If the systems were so bad then they would not be around.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 29, 2013 12:42 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

Bakewell wrote in post #16250540 (external link)
Evidently you do prefer Nikon...I suspected all along. Time for you to switch and quit pestering us....

Yeh, I do prefer Nikon images. I've said so many times. I am awaiting for Canon to step up to the plate with their "landscape" camera since I have a bunch of Canon gear already. If it was an easy switch, I would have made it already.

If I pester you so much...why do you keep reading my posts and replying?

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 29, 2013 12:42 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

2n10 wrote in post #16250546 (external link)
No more so than you...right?

Wrong...

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 29, 2013 12:52 |  #40

Bakewell wrote in post #16250540 (external link)

2n10 wrote in post #16250321 (external link)
So if you find the Canon sensor to so inferior why haven't you gone Nikon?

Come on guys, what's wrong with you? No need for such rude personal attacks. And there is absolutely no need to get so defensive here. I am 100 % behind with Hogloff here. The advantage which Sony/Nikon has with the Exmor sensor over Canon is impressive. If you actually tried fooling around with RX1/D800/D600 RAW files you would know what I mean. The ability to pull back shadows without any banding is impressive. Breathtakingly so. And I consider myself not a fanboy of Canon nor Nikon. I like all brands, sizes and shapes. Canon is the number #1 market leader. They have the advantage of market leader status. It kinda reminds of mobile phone markets from few years back. I am referring to Nokia, who once was clearcut number #1 market leader. But what happens when you hold back too much on technological innovation? You loose. Apple and Samsung came along. And here we are today.

But this does not mean that they (Canon) should hold back when it comes to development of low ISO sensor perfomance and other things. And as a landscapist, I consider low ISO perfomance the most important thing in sensor performance. There has not been any significant progress here for the last 5-6 years with Canon sensors. It is our jobs as customers to push Canon back onto the track. I am still fully confident that Canon will release new sensor technology next year with a new megapixel 5D III follower (3D?) and things will get better here. But it's not going to happen if we don't speak up!

And yes, it is really expensive to switch to Nikon once you are so heavily invested into Canon like I am. What a silly question....

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,949 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 29, 2013 12:58 |  #41

Those aren't really personal attacks... :) They are more jabs than anything.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 29, 2013 13:39 |  #42

these things are so good nowadays, progress is going to be smaller and smaller from model to model IMO. I also doubt that Canon builds these for those that have Must Always Upgrade Syndrome (MAUS), I'd think that segment of buyers is rather small, as we're not talking $200 phones here. I would guess they target new buyers and those upgrading from much lower grade or several generation old cameras. Maybe I'm wrong, but my guess is those that had the 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60D and now order the 70D are a very small minority.

Now they're adding better movie things, wifi, touch screen, because much much better sensors are probably way too expensive to produce for a big market. Most people don't have a couple thousand to spend every year or other year on upgrading, most don't need to be the first on the block to have the new toy. Not in this price class.

I have my 40D and just got a 5D3. Eventually I'll get an other crop and might give the 40 to my boy or have it changed to infrared. I never felt the need to upgrade the 40D, love that camera and it works perfectly well. I did want full frame for other reasons and wasn't impressed by the 5D2, so I waited a bit longer and am very happy with the 3 now. I sure won't be upgrading to the 5D4 unless it also makes coffee and cleans the house. I'd rather save a couple years and maybe get a medium format for studio work.

And I never pay attention to what Nikon has, I don't care. I have canon gear and unless they fold or create paper cameras I'll stick with what I have. I'm sadly not made of money, LOL

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,716 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 29, 2013 13:45 |  #43

agree
Wish I had a 5D3
sweet

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 29, 2013 14:37 |  #44

Tmuussoni wrote in post #16250611 (external link)
Come on guys, what's wrong with you? No need for such rude personal attacks. And there is absolutely no need to get so defensive here. I am 100 % behind with Hogloff here. The advantage which Sony/Nikon has with the Exmor sensor over Canon is impressive. If you actually tried fooling around with RX1/D800/D600 RAW files you would know what I mean. The ability to pull back shadows without any banding is impressive. Breathtakingly so. And I consider myself not a fanboy of Canon nor Nikon. I like all brands, sizes and shapes. Canon is the number #1 market leader. They have the advantage of market leader status. It kinda reminds of mobile phone markets from few years back. I am referring to Nokia, who once was clearcut number #1 market leader. But what happens when you hold back too much on technological innovation? You loose. Apple and Samsung came along. And here we are today.

But this does not mean that they (Canon) should hold back when it comes to development of low ISO sensor perfomance and other things. And as a landscapist, I consider low ISO perfomance the most important thing in sensor performance. There has not been any significant progress here for the last 5-6 years with Canon sensors. It is our jobs as customers to push Canon back onto the track. I am still fully confident that Canon will release new sensor technology next year with a new megapixel 5D III follower (3D?) and things will get better here. But it's not going to happen if we don't speak up!

And yes, it is really expensive to switch to Nikon once you are so heavily invested into Canon like I am. What a silly question....

Bravo! Someone who is actually reasonable. People on this forum become emotionally attached to their gear. It's only money.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 29, 2013 14:41 |  #45

Hogloff wrote in post #16250689 (external link)
I'm negative because I am not cheerleading everything Canon does? I just put it out like I see it, both positive and negative. I'm sorry you cannot take criticism on your beloved gear.

You have every right as a consumer to gripe if you pay your hard earned money for a sensor that doesn't perform all around. Why don't people understand that? :confused:

sponsored links

18,159 views & 0 likes for this thread
DxO assess the Canon 70D's sensor performance
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.