Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 12 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D users, friends and their random OT B.S. (II)

this thread is locked
Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 30, 2013 08:41 |  #4306

^try that! Almost to work QQ

EDIT: Okay ya'll replied faster than me getting to my office! haha

NewCreation wrote in post #16253046 (external link)
Thanks, CJ and Lisa for your help!! It was the "auto tone". I deleted the pics and reimported the same files no develop settings and now all the sliders are at zero.

Does any one use the "auto tone" feature? I can figure out the sense in how it's applied.

I saw this option but was like "nahhh nobody checks this feature" and wow was that slap to the face. xD

Oh well at least it's fixed now and you can go about enjoying Lightroom some more! I used auto tone once and turned it right back off, and I think that's what I like about shooting RAW I want to edit the photos myself cause each one is different in certain scenarios. On a side note, IT'S ALMOST LABOR DAYYYYYY!~

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

sponsored links
CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,200 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 30, 2013 08:46 |  #4307

I've used it with 'snapshot' type shots. But even then I use it sparingly

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

vos07
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 30, 2013 08:59 |  #4308

Hi guys and gals!

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7305/9626834823_803c4ed263_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …osphotography/9​626834823/  (external link)
Feeding Heron (external link) by mvos18 (external link), on Flickr

Full feeding series here:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1326267

Mike
Flickr (external link)
500px  (external link)

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 30, 2013 09:00 |  #4309

^hello vos! and nice capture, love the reflection~

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 30, 2013 09:06 |  #4310

Vixen89 wrote in post #16253049 (external link)
^try that! Almost to work QQ

EDIT: Okay ya'll replied faster than me getting to my office! haha

I saw this option but was like "nahhh nobody checks this feature" and wow was that slap to the face. xD

Oh well at least it's fixed now and you can go about enjoying Lightroom some more! I used auto tone once and turned it right back off, and I think that's what I like about shooting RAW I want to edit the photos myself cause each one is different in certain scenarios. On a side note, IT'S ALMOST LABOR DAYYYYYY!~

I don't remember turning it on but I hardly remember what I did yesterday. ;)

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 30, 2013 09:06 |  #4311

CJCMarquez wrote in post #16253065 (external link)
I've used it with 'snapshot' type shots. But even then I use it sparingly

Yeah, I def don't want it on as a routine. Thanks again for the help. :)

Facebook (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 30, 2013 09:43 |  #4312

Played with the video a bunch yesterday. You can hear the 17-55's focus motor indoors pretty well. Outside it is less noticeable. Blah. Guess I shoulda considered the 18-55 STM kit. Then again, I have a ton of Best Buy rewardzone certs saved up....

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,242 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 30, 2013 12:08 |  #4313

NewCreation wrote in post #16253012 (external link)
YES!!! That and this: http://www.lightroomfo​rums.net …hy-did-Lr-ruin-my-picture (external link) are likely what I am experiencing.

What do you all have it set at?

Way to go CJ ~

If I had time yesterday I would have reminded you to look in your history in Develop Module and look at the first entry which states "imported" and it says what was applied - if anything - on import.

I do not use auto tone, I made my own preset of tweaks in the Basic Panel, Detail, & Lens Corrections.

Seems to me that a majority of people would wish Lens Corrections applied tot he specific lens used, fixing all its documented distortions...

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 30, 2013 12:30 |  #4314

I have the disadvantage of being color blind so I often use auto tone in development mode in LR4. I guess I trust LR more than my color blind eyes though auto tone seldom gets the exposure right. I have to make adjustments to that in almost all cases.

My wife is an interior designer with great color sense so she takes a look at things before I "finalize" a photo to make sure I haven't done something odd.

Like Will, I always use the lens correction profile and the lens color correction for CA. That's actually the first step I do when editing a photo. I guess I could just do that upon import but I like seeing the effect of any change I make in real time. I only take a few hundred photos at a time max. I'd probably use presets if I were shooting thousands of photos a week.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 30, 2013 12:48 |  #4315

Immaculens wrote in post #16253640 (external link)
Way to go CJ ~

If I had time yesterday I would have reminded you to look in your history in Develop Module and look at the first entry which states "imported" and it says what was applied - if anything - on import.

I do not use auto tone, I made my own preset of tweaks in the Basic Panel, Detail, & Lens Corrections.

Seems to me that a majority of people would wish Lens Corrections applied tot he specific lens used, fixing all its documented distortions...

Per your earlier suggestion I kept looking in the history but couldn't nail down the problem. My import preset is just the sharpening level I want but that could likely change as I get to know the software more.

Phoenixkh wrote in post #16253688 (external link)
I have the disadvantage of being color blind so I often use auto tone in development mode in LR4. I guess I trust LR more than my color blind eyes though auto tone seldom gets the exposure right. I have to make adjustments to that in almost all cases.

My wife is an interior designer with great color sense so she takes a look at things before I "finalize" a photo to make sure I haven't done something odd.

Like Will, I always use the lens correction profile and the lens color correction for CA. That's actually the first step I do when editing a photo. I guess I could just do that upon import but I like seeing the effect of any change I make in real time. I only take a few hundred photos at a time max. I'd probably use presets if I were shooting thousands of photos a week.

Wow! Good for you for working around the color blindness! It was the exposure that was really throwing me in the auto tone so your statement makes a lot of sense. I likely wouldn't have rooted around so much for the answer if the exposure seemed correct.

My eyes are aging and the fact that they don't work in unison is getting harder. I have to really keep up on my eye dr visits to keep getting the rx tweaked. Even then, it's not stellar. Oh well..

Thanks for you input on the lens correction. I need to keep that in the front of my mind.

Facebook (external link)

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,242 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 30, 2013 13:04 |  #4316

Yes - sorry about that - its not a preset so of course it would not mention a preset action in the History. Glad its been sorted out for you

NewCreation wrote in post #16253723 (external link)
Per your earlier suggestion I kept looking in the history but couldn't nail down the problem. My import preset is just the sharpening level I want but that could likely change as I get to know the software more.

Thanks for you input on the lens correction. I need to keep that in the front of my mind.

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 30, 2013 13:07 |  #4317

Can I join in, just ordered one today, second hand 3.4k clicks on it, mint condition :)

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 30, 2013 13:11 |  #4318

Immaculens wrote in post #16253771 (external link)
Yes - sorry about that - its not a preset so of course it would not mention a preset action in the History. Glad its been sorted out for you

Hey, no apologies needed! You've been most helpful. I was just having trouble figuring it out.

Radders wrote in post #16253779 (external link)
Can I join in, just ordered one today, second hand 3.4k clicks on it, mint condition :)

Welcome!

Facebook (external link)

MrWho
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 30, 2013 13:15 |  #4319

Immaculens wrote in post #16252248 (external link)
kidding aside for the moment - consider saving up for an EF L lens - the focal length you most prefer to shoot... - and that Lens will add extra 'Umph" to your current images... :cool:

if you are considering going FF - you Will need to add EF lenses... as your current EF-S ones will not work on FF...

only you can decide what your favourite type of shooting/focal length is... and that will help you hone in on the best glass you can "afford" in regards to your personal photographic development/specialty you envision for yourself... :cool:

Yup, that's the plan. I'm looking at picking up a 35 1.4L with 24-105 and 70-200 F4 IS joining it. The 60D is happily handling all that I'm throwing at it and asking for more, it would be nice if there was a true 50mm for crop though.

Gear

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,635 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 30, 2013 16:47 |  #4320

Radders wrote in post #16253779 (external link)

Wise move!:D

Welcome!

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

sponsored links

667,033 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D users, friends and their random OT B.S. (II)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.