Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 06:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What % of FF buyers just want "the best"

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,242 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 30, 2013 21:09 |  #181

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #16255007 (external link)
Which has nothing to do with the technical limitations or physics of the sensor. If you want some B&W shot indicative of the 60's, sure it can be done. You just can't get the dynamic range the eye can see with a sensor, Nikon, Canon, whatever. There has to be PP for many types of shots.

What does matter is someone finding what that works for them consistently no matter what that is and thats really all that matters in the end.

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
36,242 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 30, 2013 21:10 |  #182

sjones wrote in post #16255029 (external link)
If I selected someone who through his or her work was proven to be skilled and knowledgeable; one who has garnered an excellent reputation; one who is consistently highly recommended by folks also knowledgeable about photography, then I would trust this photographer to use whatever they want, RAW or JPEG, and not worry.

Exactly!!!!

ronfin
38 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 30, 2013 21:10 |  #183

sjones wrote in post #16255029 (external link)
If I selected someone who through his or her work was proven to be skilled and knowledgeable; one who has garnered an excellent reputation; one who is consistently highly recommended by folks also knowledgeable about photography, then I would trust this photographer to use whatever they want, RAW or JPEG, and not worry.

Again, *sigh*, this was not the question. Is this really hard for some to do? I agree, however, answer the question. Thanks.

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 30, 2013 21:12 |  #184

Interesting thread topic and equally interesting responses.

Maybe I should get out more, I don't see a lot of full frame cameras out in the wild outside of full on professionals at events carrying around 2 bodies with L lenses and such.

If I see a DSLR, it's generally a Rebel or XXD model (or Nikon equivalent) with a kit lens attached. So just based on personal observation, I don't think a lot of people are going out and dropping 3k on 5D III just for the heck of it or because they think it's the best.

I definitely KNOW people that will go out and get a DSLR when they probably don't need to or get a model they probably don't need because they think a slightly pricier model is "better".

airfrogusmc
36,242 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 30, 2013 21:16 |  #185

ronfin wrote in post #16255018 (external link)
Didn't call you any names, even after you insinuated I was arrogant. Just said you're being stubborn which is an adjective. That's it. You said what you shoot, and then gave me a long anecdote. I asked you who do you choose, and you got a little mad, and ran on and on with irrelevant discussion. It's OK. I wont use a little rolling eyes guy back. You win. Print this page and hang it on your wall. People will high-five your cleverness. *geeze*

Check it out, a smiley face! Word. ----> :)

I said I wouldn't be arrogant enough to try and tell someone that has achieve a level of success with what they were doing that they were doing it wrong.

mad :lol::lol: I just always find these there is only one way to do something conversations humorous.

airfrogusmc
36,242 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 30, 2013 21:17 |  #186

ronfin wrote in post #16255036 (external link)
Again, *sigh*, this was not the question. Is this really hard for some to do? I agree, however, answer the question. Thanks.

He shoots film :lol::lol: seriously...

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 30, 2013 21:17 |  #187

I admit, I didn't read every post in this thread but what doesn't help is when Canon has an ad showing sports action shots for the Rebel and in very fine print at the bottom of the ad it said that the photos were not taken with the camera in the ad! This happened with the original Rebel and probably continues to

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,222 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 30, 2013 21:24 |  #188

ronfin wrote in post #16255036 (external link)

I get your question; your question is irrelevant, because it doesn't apply to reality, and when people try to inject just a hint of reality to the discussion, you get all flustered. You're not a DA, and we're not witnesses being forced to reply with just a "yes" or "no" answer. Why this should offend you so much is beyond me…you're practically trying to coerce everyone into answering "RAW," but being that most of us don't approach photography (or life for that matter) in such simplistic or absolutist terms, we have a tendency to expand on the question, bringing up very "real world" conditions; conditions that you want to ignore, thus rendering your question superfluous.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

ronfin
38 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 30, 2013 21:29 |  #189

sjones wrote in post #16255059 (external link)
I get your question; your question is irrelevant, because it doesn't apply to reality, and when people try to inject just a hint of reality to the discussion, you get all flustered. You're not a DA, and we're not witnesses being forced to reply with just a "yes" or "no" answer. Why this should offend you so much is beyond me…you're practically trying to coerce everyone into answering "RAW," but being that most of us don't approach photography (or life for that matter) in such simplistic or absolutist terms, we have a tendency to expand on the question, bringing up very "real world" conditions; conditions that you want to ignore, thus rendering your question superfluous.

That's actually pretty funny. Doesn't apply in reality? Even after I said this was something I'll be asking when I hire my photographer? Others have said this would be a deal breaker also, yet we're not discussing realistic expectations? Hmm. Thank you for your opinion. I'll note that when I make my decision.

sjones
Goldmember
2,222 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 30, 2013 21:35 |  #190

ronfin wrote in post #16255069 (external link)
That's actually pretty funny. Doesn't apply in reality? Even after I said this was something I'll be asking when I hire my photographer? Others have said this would be a deal breaker also, yet we're not discussing realistic expectations? Hmm. Thank you for your opinion. I'll note that when I make my decision.

Oh sure, maybe your reality, but not everyone else's; that's what you fail to understand. And you want to push everyone into the very narrow confines of your realistic expectations, which I find nonsensical by the way, and when others don't submissively acquiesce, you can't cope. You're screaming for validation, and until everyone lines up with your demands, you'll continue to scream.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

NeonStar
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 30, 2013 21:38 |  #191
bannedPermanent ban

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16255006 (external link)
Some might argue if they were to try and tell others how they should shoot; if it's so important why would someone trust any of those important exposure and white balance decisions to the camera?

Simple, the camera is faster than the human.

ronfin
38 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 30, 2013 21:40 |  #192

sjones wrote in post #16255080 (external link)
Oh sure, maybe your reality, but not everyone else's; that's what you fail to understand. And you want to push everyone into the very narrow confines of your realistic expectations, which I find nonsensical by the way, and when others don't submissively acquiesce, you can't cope. You're screaming for validation, and until everyone lines up with your demands, you'll continue to scream.

Um, no, but your assumptions are hilarious. A few others [here[Said the same thing, but you go and live in your reality all day because it has no bearing on my decisions, and your repeated attempt to speak down to me in that arrogant tone shows the kind of character I'm dealing with. Holier-than-thou attitude is almost unbearable. By the way, I'm typing. Until I use my CAPS LOCK key that's when you can say I'm "screaming" Captain Clever.

ronfin
38 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 30, 2013 21:41 |  #193

Bakewell wrote in post #16255076 (external link)
May I introduce to you the resident forum contrarian...Mr Hogloff. Trust me he won't let up. Down is Up and Black is White but he can be kinda funny every once and awhile....

Yeah, my last reply to him was based on the realization that he finds his presence here more appealing than what he actually says. He'll re-quote me, try to belittle my words with antiquated Internet cliches, but I'm done with that guy. :)

airfrogusmc
36,242 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 30, 2013 21:46 |  #194

NeonStar wrote in post #16255086 (external link)
Simple, the camera is faster than the human.

Its fast at lying to you. If the entire world is 18% gray or 5500K if you trust the meter then you are good to go. There is no camera or meter more consistent than knowledge and experience. A meter should be a tool to give you, the photographer information. Then you need to use that info to make exposure and color balance decisions.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 30, 2013 21:47 |  #195

Not to be a dink, but hasn't this circular, unending argument gone far enough? Some people think its all in the final outcome irregardless, and others think raw is the only way to get the final outcome. That's basically it.

sponsored links

18,691 views & 0 likes for this thread
What % of FF buyers just want "the best"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.