Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

Nikkor316
38 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 31, 2013 07:52 |  #2371

DamianOz wrote in post #16255642 (external link)
Has anyone compare the the CL360 to an AlienBee 1600 at HS speeds (shutter speeds of 1/8000 or 1/4000), to see which produces more light?

Why the AB1600? The CL360 is about the same output as the AB800 which is 320ws. CL360 and AB800 would be a better apples to apples comparison.

Matt

sponsored links
Nikkor316
38 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 31, 2013 08:00 |  #2372

So I have previously posted my success in using both CL180/CL360 with Pocket Wizards for HSS but I thought I'd try another test and pass along the results. Since both CLxxx work with Hyper sync when flash is set to 1/1 (full power) without H mode enabled, I thought I'd try it without using PW's and only use the CLTx/CLRx. As expected, you get black screen or bars above camera sync speed. However, using only the PW miniTT1 on camera with CL-Tx in bypass hot shoe and only CL-Rx on flash without PW, the mini adjust the timing signal and passes it along to CL-Tx to fire CL-Rx allowing the flash to be used in "Hyper sync" mode only (not HSS) without a PW receiver...only transmitter.

Although not as useful as full HSS, hypersync can be usefull and thought it was worth noting that it can be done without a high end receiver on the other end.

Matt

DamianOz
696 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 31, 2013 08:14 |  #2373

Nikkor316 wrote in post #16255839 (external link)
Why the AB1600? The CL360 is about the same output as the AB800 which is 320ws. CL360 and AB800 would be a better apples to apples comparison.

The CL strobes, the AB uses after burn, two different lighting methods. I would suspect strobing would provide more light. But really, I want stronger light than 1 CL360 in H mode, and am wanting to know if the AB 1600 would do it

Bodies - Canon EOS 5DIII | EOS 6D
Primes - TS-E24 f/3.5L II | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG Art | EF 85 f/1.2L II | EF 135 f/2L
Zooms - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Σ 24-105mm F/4 DG OS Art | Σ 120-300mm F/2.8 DG OS Sport

DamianOz
696 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 31, 2013 08:59 |  #2374

Nikkor316 wrote in post #16255854 (external link)
So I have previously posted my success in using both CL180/CL360 with Pocket Wizards for HSS but I thought I'd try another test and pass along the results. Since both CLxxx work with Hyper sync when flash is set to 1/1 (full power) without H mode enabled, I thought I'd try it without using PW's and only use the CLTx/CLRx. As expected, you get black screen or bars above camera sync speed. However, using only the PW miniTT1 on camera with CL-Tx in bypass hot shoe and only CL-Rx on flash without PW, the mini adjust the timing signal and passes it along to CL-Tx to fire CL-Rx allowing the flash to be used in "Hyper sync" mode only (not HSS) without a PW receiver...only transmitter.

Although not as useful as full HSS, hypersync can be usefull and thought it was worth noting that it can be done without a high end receiver on the other end.

I wander what the difference in light intensity is between HSS and Hypersync?

Zooms - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Σ 24-105mm F/4 DG OS Art | Σ 120-300mm F/2.8 DG OS Sport

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 31, 2013 09:12 |  #2375

My testing indicates that the flash duration for both the CL-180 and 360 is long enough to support shutter speeds up to 1/8000 of a second using an FP-sync capable trigger. The timing tweaks may add a slight bit of exposure benefit but any HyperSync application will have some gradation because as the shutter slit is traveling the tail is diminishing.
The best lights for Hyper Sync are higher output lights that use voltage control, such as the AB1600, when they are at lower power settings. The benefit is a flatter tail to minimize gradation.

I've found that the gradation, while easily seen when photographing a white wall, is insignificant in a real shooting situation since ambient light is the predominate light for the background.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

DamianOz
696 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 31, 2013 09:31 |  #2376

Any idea which way the shutters move on a 5D3? if they move up, then a graduation could be advantageous

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 31, 2013 11:46 |  #2377

However, using only the PW miniTT1 on camera with CL-Tx in bypass hot shoe and only CL-Rx on flash without PW, the mini adjust the timing signal and passes it along to CL-Tx to fire CL-Rx allowing the flash to be used in "Hyper sync" mode only (not HSS) without a PW receiver...only transmitter.

I tried this and it didn'[t work for me. Or maybe I did test wrong. Could you please share your settings on Mini?

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 31, 2013 12:44 |  #2378

Ginga wrote in post #16255711 (external link)
Np. But don't take my word for it since I am certain. Perhaps someone else here knows for sure?

Gotcha. :) Guess I'll run some tests then.

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 31, 2013 13:12 |  #2379

using only the PW miniTT1 on camera with CL-Tx in bypass hot shoe and only CL-Rx on flash without PW, the mini adjust the timing signal and passes it along to CL-Tx to fire CL-Rx allowing the flash to be used in "Hyper sync" mode only (not HSS) without a PW receiver...only transmitter.

I posted a few pages back a person emailed saying this works.

I don't quite understand what you mean about the HSS not working though? Its the same Pre-Sync signal needed for both, so you should get be getting some results with H-mode switched on, if its getting a clean frame with H-mode off.

What do you see when you turn H-mode on then?

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 31, 2013 15:15 |  #2380

Looked back through the thread and didn't see this answered.
What type of recycle times are people getting on full & half power? Not using the 2-1 cable.
Is apx 7-8 sec for full and 5 for half about right. Will the 2-1 cable cut that in half?

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 31, 2013 15:47 |  #2381

Gaarryy wrote in post #16256655 (external link)
Looked back through the thread and didn't see this answered.
What type of recycle times are people getting on full & half power? Not using the 2-1 cable.
Is apx 7-8 sec for full and 5 for half about right. Will the 2-1 cable cut that in half?

Did you try "Search This Thread" ?? :-)

https://photography-on-the.net …p=15845605&post​count=1008

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 31, 2013 15:53 |  #2382

Ginga wrote in post #16254367 (external link)
I'm not really sure but I don't think it matters. I just leave my reflector off when shooting the flash inside a softbox.

I think the reflector is meant for shoot thru and bounce umbrellas only.

Ginga wrote in post #16255711 (external link)
Np. But don't take my word for it since I am certain.

Perhaps someone else here knows for sure?

Well your guess was right. My tests show that the reflector isn't needed inside Apollo type softboxes. At least I could not see any significant difference in the light.

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 31, 2013 21:23 |  #2383

tetrode wrote in post #16256733 (external link)
Did you try "Search This Thread" ?? :-)

https://photography-on-the.net …p=15845605&post​count=1008

Thank you. both for the link and I didn't know that you could search a thread, like that. I used the regular search.

Very cool.

Thanks Again

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 01, 2013 00:21 |  #2384

DamianOz wrote in post #16256017 (external link)
Any idea which way the shutters move on a 5D3? if they move up, then a graduation could be advantageous

I THINK it moves from the bottom to top so the shadow is at the bottom of the image.
People suggest turning the camera upside down to get the shadow at the top where the sky is for horizontals.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 01, 2013 13:21 |  #2385

dmward wrote in post #16257661 (external link)
I THINK it moves from the bottom to top so the shadow is at the bottom of the image.
People suggest turning the camera upside down to get the shadow at the top where the sky is for horizontals.

I alway thought that the sun has a very looooooooooooooong burn so the sky is exposed constantly at daytime.

Secondly the flash is very strong, but not strong enough to light the clouds in the sky.

Yes, it is very strange to keep your camera up-side-down but the result counts!

sponsored links

1,298,269 views & 272 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.