Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 21 Apr 2008 (Monday) 10:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread

DJ ­ JIGGLER
260 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 30, 2013 11:40 |  #9661

Konstantinos wrote in post #16252545 (external link)
When you spun yours, was it the base that spun? I uploaded another quick video showing which part is the spinning part. The actual ball head doesn't move much.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=rr345XUK5uU (external link)

Yeah i got it to spin at the base, making sure it was not spinning at the ball/clamp, looks like you're gonna need to RMA that sucker :( yours spins way too easy mine took way more more force to make it spin and i couldn't even spin it that much..

Canon 5D MKII Gripped, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS 50mm f/1.4, Extender EF 1.4X III, 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 580EX II x2, 600EX-RT

sponsored links
Konstantinos
25 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 30, 2013 12:20 |  #9662

DJ JIGGLER wrote in post #16253563 (external link)
Yeah i got it to spin at the base, making sure it was not spinning at the ball/clamp, looks like you're gonna need to RMA that sucker :( yours spins way too easy mine took way more more force to make it spin and i couldn't even spin it that much..

BH just emailed me back letting me know they're supposed to lock as well, so weird that both of them that I got in spin so freely. Hopefully they make the exchange process easy.

[www.digitalremix.net (external link)]

Gapiii
29 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 30, 2013 15:11 |  #9663

Hey guys,

I read everything about doing rig shot with car drifting on it? Do you have some ideas or suggestions how it's done? I tried it, but it's just not working. So please help me before I lose my mind :)

Have a nice day,

Gapi

Automotive photography
www.gasperpirman.com (external link)

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 30, 2013 16:12 |  #9664

Bad idea, period.

~Andrew from Rig-Pro (external link) Gallery (external link)

Mony
162 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 30, 2013 16:26 |  #9665

Gapiii wrote in post #16254116 (external link)
Hey guys,

I read everything about doing rig shot with car drifting on it? Do you have some ideas or suggestions how it's done? I tried it, but it's just not working. So please help me before I lose my mind :)

Have a nice day,

Gapi

Drifting car?? You mean an actual person driving it? No man, I've heard some guy doing it and it caused the 7D dangling from the extension pole, He barely catched because the car driver noticed his camera dismounted and stopped.
Now imagine the driver not notice at all, It wouldn't be very nice to see your camera get crushed

A Targa and a Camera

Mony
162 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 30, 2013 16:27 |  #9666

VisualEchos wrote in post #16254280 (external link)
Bad idea, period.

YOUR THE PERON I TALKED TO IN FACEBOOK, Andrew!!
Am abdulrahman, YOUR EVERYWHERE ON THE INTERNET!

A Targa and a Camera

DJ ­ JIGGLER
260 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 30, 2013 16:45 |  #9667

Hey guys,

Have a nice day,

Gapi

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

F Dat, can see so many bad things that makes me shiver

Canon 5D MKII Gripped, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS 50mm f/1.4, Extender EF 1.4X III, 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 580EX II x2, 600EX-RT

Gapiii
29 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 30, 2013 16:46 |  #9668

Thanks. Better safe then sorry. :)

Automotive photography
www.gasperpirman.com (external link)

DJ ­ JIGGLER
260 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 30, 2013 16:54 |  #9669

I would try a burn out shot maybe, did some research found a video of ste

http://www.youtube.com …4&feature=playe​r_embedded (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

Also saw someone say

It's easy, Put the rig on the car, and your camera in the spot you think looks right compositionally.
Set fastish shutter speed (to freeze the action enough but not too fast to freeze the wheel) 1/60th works well.
It helps to have a powerful car here, but if you start the burnout get the driver to jump on the brakes and it should hold a linelocker.
Get your "burnout" shot that you need, keep in mind the direction of the wind, I have used a portable fan to get the look that the smoke it trailing.
Set the camera back to your slow shutter speed, take shot....
Merge the spinning wheel/rear half of car onto your rig shot, you might need to tweak the levels to get the smoke right.

Andrew may remember reading that a few years ago :wink:

john ­ owen
305 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 30, 2013 17:19 as a reply to  @ DJ JIGGLER's post |  #9670

And here is a shot of the back of my head, ****e I look like nearly as old as the Tiger :-(

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Find me....
www.flickr.com/photos/​51975854@N00/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/johno​wenphotography (external link)
www.johnowencommercial​photography.co.uk (external link)
www.johnowenphotograph​y.co.uk (external link)

jjphoto
187 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 30, 2013 22:51 |  #9671

Hey guys,

Have a nice day,

Gapi

I've done this a couple of times. First time was a drift car about ten years ago, on film using a Leica R8 and R 24/2.8 (for a front cover). I also did a burnout car rig shot a couple of years later (also used for another front cover, but of a muscle car mag). Drift or burnout, the principal is the same as the car really only needs to move a small distance. The composition, angle of the wheel etc. may differentiate the shots but the technique is the same.

IMAGE: http://photocornucopia.com/images/Rig%20Shots/r_136_pc_400.jpg

The drift and burnout rig shots that I've done where both 'partial' rig shots. Editing out the rig wasn't really an option with film but the burnout car could have been done as a full car rig shot as it was shot digitally. In any case I did the later shot (the one shown above) as a single frame and I didn't need to combine images as I was able to use additional supports which where not visible in the shot. I'm not sure you could get away with that with a full car rig shot because you would always have quite a bit of vibration. The vibration from a howling engine will often render images too soft so I imagine you'll be shopping images together rather than trying to get them in a single frame.

You can't just leave the rig on a car and let the driver go nuts. You need to be there, support the rig and have the driver move at slow speed and do EXACTLY what you tell them. If you don't trust the driver then don't do it at all.

What is the problem? What's not working?

PhotoCornucopia.com (external link)

photophilth
329 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 31, 2013 00:43 |  #9672

i tried a burnout style shot a while back with my old emt conduit and guy wired rig. A car headlight lit up the passenger side in an effort to get the smoke to show. Shot is pretty sloppy overall but it was a thrill to watch my 10d bounce an ungodly amount when my buddy let the car out after turning in place. I masked in the wheels where the rotation was best. I'm going to try again, since I trust the guy driving. A good shot would be so cool!!

well done above ^^^ shooting with film! So OG! haha

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7270/7799993410_4d61dbdcd5_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/a_foto/77999934​10/  (external link)
Jesse's Rig Burnout (external link) by Handsome and Philthy (external link), on Flickr

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 31, 2013 11:39 |  #9673

DJ JIGGLER wrote in post #16254404 (external link)
I would try a burn out shot maybe, did some research found a video of ste

http://www.youtube.com …4&feature=playe​r_embedded (external link)

Andrew may remember reading that a few years ago :wink:

Yeah, Ste Ho is the man (re: nuts/fearless). And uses Rig-Pro BTW lol, Manfrotto's would have let loose pretty damn quick I think haha.

~Andrew from Rig-Pro (external link) Gallery (external link)

jjphoto
187 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 31, 2013 16:45 |  #9674

photophilth wrote in post #16255377 (external link)
well done above ^^^ shooting with film! So OG! haha

Thanks.

PhotoCornucopia.com (external link)

Leo147
97 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 31, 2013 18:37 |  #9675

Today the day was productive asset, a classic car VW Brazil. It is a 1991 Gol 1.8 Turbo ....

IMAGE: http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/2491/1jkh.jpg

Canon T3i Gripped | UltraSonic 60mm 2.8 Macro | 50mm 1.8 | Canon 10-18mm | Slider Track | YN467 II | Flash Trigger | RigShot
Site (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

4,035,734 views & 531 likes for this thread
Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.