Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 02:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rebel SL1 vs Sony Nex 5T

NeonStar
253 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 01, 2013 02:46 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Well I plan to get a travel sized DSLR type camera to go along with two main bodies (50D and future 70D). I really really like the SL1 but the Sony Nex's are also pretty awesome too if you are just using it for travel, every day kind of stuff etc. I feel like Sony's hybrid AF is going to possibly be better than the SL1s? Maybe more features such as wifi? Though with Canon I have or will have a lot of lenses.

Is a Nex worth it if I only plan on using the 16-50 lens? I would want to use this third body for events at some point, events where I'm getting paid for example.

sponsored links
jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 01, 2013 03:18 |  #2

The sl1 seems nice but you only benefit with the body. The lenses are still big so your travel kit can still be big. I am also looking at a csc system after a holiday where I felt carrying my dslr kit was a bit much. The nex system seems nice with a good quality sony sensor but again if yoy decide to add lenses they are quite big due the aps c sensor requiring large lenses.

Personally the olympus epl5 caught my eye. Almost aps c quality in a tidy package

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

Lucy ­ Brown
303 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 01, 2013 07:31 as a reply to  @ jaomul's post |  #3

The SL1 is still less bulky than the bigger Canon bodies when used with a bigger lens. My Sl1 is by far less bulky when coupled with my 25-105L compared to my 5d3 and the 24-105L. Where the SL1 shines is when you use a smaller lens like the 18-55 stm kit lens which is a pretty good lens or the 40mm pancake. If I wanted to go small on a trip I would bring my SL1 with those two lenses. If you want more reach look into the 18-135 stm. I haven't used it so I cant comment on the quality.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EWR72
290 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 01, 2013 07:39 |  #4

I only travel now with the Sony Nex system as it is so compact and light. I try to use the smaller lenses as that is my style of shooting now but when I am home I can use various adapters to mount all sorts of lenses with ease. I recently returned from a 5 week holiday and took 2 Nex bodies as they are very compact and lightweight. I have been very pleased with the IQ ..........

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3773/9586290662_cc407e689d_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/76980420@N02/9​586290662/  (external link)
Melbourne......The Snake Bridge.... (external link) by EROB2012 (external link), on Flickr

I have a lot more examples on my Blog if you want to check it out:)

http://lightoflanzarot​e.wordpress.com/ (external link)

My new Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/76980420@N02/ (external link)
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/8249721@N05/ (external link)
My Blog:http://lightoflanzarot​e.wordpress.com/ (external link)

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 01, 2013 08:32 |  #5

My parents just picked up an SL1 for a trip this fall, and I have had a chance to play with it a couple of times with the newest 18-55mm kit lens. I also owned an Olympus OM-D m4/3rds last year for a trip I took.

My thoughts on the SL-1 are that it is extremely light with the kit lens, crazy light. I had to turn the camera on and off to make sure the battery was actually in it when I first picked it up it felt so ethereal. It is very compact from the back, with most of the landscape being dominated by the huge beautiful touchscreen LCD. The comparison to a "full strength" DLSR is similarly beneficial from the front as Lucy's images illustrate. However from the top down things change compared to a true mirrorless solution, due to... well.... the mirror being in there. Since the camera has to be just as deep as your 50D to accommodate the SLR design, it ends up being rather bulky in that dimension. And even the 18-55mm seems pretty big compared to some of the mirrorless kit zooms out there. I have fairly large hands that are comfortable gripping a larger camera, however something about the ergonomics of the grip on the SL1 didn't mesh for me. I found myself holding the camera with only my thumb and middle finger, with my pointer on the shutter and the ring and pinky fingers just dangling off in space. I actually had a better grip on the camera if I tried to shoot with my middle finger, bringing the ring and pinky up on the grip, but that was too unnatural. It was perfectly fine really with the camera being so light, but with a heavier lens on there, it would become a problem. My other pet peeve is that they insisted on putting it in the Rebel family and continuing their now absurd policy of not having two control wheels for manual operation, even though most of their mirrorless competitors now do.

The key difference to me between buying a pint size DSLR for a travel camera v. a mirrorless is the lenses. As Lucy says, you can get the 18-55 kit, the 40 pancake, and I would even add the 55-250 IS, as it isn't much larger than the 18-55mm. But then you are done. After that you are stuck putting huge lenses on a small body, or rather lenses that were properly designed to be used on a larger body and end up visually and mechanically unbalanced on the SL1. If you invest in NEX, or M4/3rds, or even Fuji-X with its quickly growing lineup, you know you have a choice of dozens of compact lenses to choose from, primes and zooms from UWA to Super Tele, and you don't have a big mirror box taking up space as well.

To summarize and wrap up, if you were in the situation my parents were in, looking for one camera to be your primary camera with an emphasis on travel, the SL1 is certainly a good system to invest in. But if you already have an existing Canon DSLR kit and want a dedicated travel companion to leave that kit at home, I just don't think the SL1 offers enough of a space saving benefit over your full size DSLR when compared to what else is available on the market today in the same price range.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

Amamba
Goldmember
3,681 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 01, 2013 09:10 as a reply to  @ Billginthekeys's post |  #6

IMHO, the Nex to get is 6 or 7. While 5 has an excellent IQ (same sensor as 6) it lacks a built in flash, so using the accessory port you can only have an external EVF ($250 add) or flash, but not both. I have F3 and having both available is a major enabler to taking portraits in harsh light.

As to the Nex vs SL1, unless you have a collection of Canon glass, Nex will give you better DR, greater portability, greater flexibility (you can get the LAEA2 adapter and use it with Sony DSLR glass), and open up the whole range of great manual glass. OTOH Canon will have better ergonomics, better choice of native lenses, and Canon's reliability and customer service.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 01, 2013 09:25 |  #7

I think the SL1 is a very nice answer from Canon to the various mirrorless offerings. If you have Canon lenses, particularly small ones that pair up with it well for travel, then it seems like the way to go. The SL1 with appropriate lenses is just about the same size as an NEX camera with lenses. And the SL1 gives you an optical viewfinder, which I consider to be highly desirable.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Eastport
940 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 01, 2013 10:51 |  #8

Billginthekeys wrote in post #16258217 (external link)
you can get the 18-55 kit, the 40 pancake, and I would even add the 55-250 IS, as it isn't much larger than the 18-55mm. But then you are done. After that you are stuck putting huge lenses on a small body, or rather lenses that were properly designed to be used on a larger body and end up visually and mechanically unbalanced on the SL1.

I strongly disagree. But this is so subjective. How much have you actually used the SL-1?

Even though its size and weight is closer to a T5i than the T5i is to the 5DIII, I consider the size difference of the SL1 to the rest of the Rebels to be very significant.

The 18-135 IS STM is wonderful and still very compact on the SL-1. And the reviews of it are quite good. Nearly on a par (if not all the way there) with the 15-85 IS.

I would add to the list of great compact lenses to use on the SL-1 the following:

35 f/2.8 IS, 24 f/2.8 IS, 24 f/2.8 IS, 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 50 f/1.4

Unlike the 5DIII, where I don't care whether the lens is lighter or heavier than the body, I do care when it comes to the SL-1. The 85 f/1.8 is pushing it a bit but the rest of the other lenses would balance nicely and the 18-135 STM creates a perfect portable solution.

Try it - you might like it.

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 01, 2013 11:31 |  #9

Eastport wrote in post #16258538 (external link)
I strongly disagree. But this is so subjective. How much have you actually used the SL-1?

Even though its size and weight is closer to a T5i than the T5i is to the 5DIII, I consider the size difference of the SL1 to the rest of the Rebels to be very significant.

The 18-135 IS STM is wonderful and still very compact on the SL-1. And the reviews of it are quite good. Nearly on a par (if not all the way there) with the 15-85 IS.

I would add to the list of great compact lenses to use on the SL-1 the following:

35 f/2.8 IS, 24 f/2.8 IS, 24 f/2.8 IS, 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 50 f/1.4

Unlike the 5DIII, where I don't care whether the lens is lighter or heavier than the body, I do care when it comes to the SL-1. The 85 f/1.8 is pushing it a bit but the rest of the other lenses would balance nicely and the 18-135 STM creates a perfect portable solution.

Try it - you might like it.

I have spent about an hour with it. It is a fine camera, don't get me wrong, but nothing about it made me want to get it over another OM-D or trying a Fuji X-E1.

Okay, so I was exaggerating that there aren't more than three lenses that would balance well on the SL1. But the overall point in the same, Canon's EF lens system was not designed to be used on a body as compact and lightweight as the SL1; in particular non EF-S zooms and their higher end lenses. That is not to say anything bad about Canon, since those lenses are fine on all their other bodies.

Unfortunately I take the release of the SL1 in conjunction with the discontinuing of the EOS M to mean that Canon doesn't intend to pursue mirrorless, and that is a total shame. If they had/do release/d an EOS M with a viewfinder, more controls, weather sealing, an articulating touch screen, the new sensor from the 70D, a pair of compact L-series/quality EF-M zooms like a 12-50mm and 50-200mm with IS and a top notch landscape and portrait prime and kept the body price around $1000-1200 and lens prices from $500-750 in line with the higher end M4/3rds, NEX, or Fuji setups, they really could have offered an amazing kit for enthusiasts who already love Canon. Instead I feel like they built the EOS M and didn't support it, over priced it, and put it out there just to watch it fail so they could tell their board and investors that the mirrorless market is poor and they should keep making DSLR's.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!

Eastport
940 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 01, 2013 11:45 |  #10

Billginthekeys wrote in post #16258661 (external link)
I have spent about an hour with it. It is a fine camera, don't get me wrong, but nothing about it made me want to get it over another OM-D or trying a Fuji X-E1.

Okay, so I was exaggerating that there aren't more than three lenses that would balance well on the SL1. But the overall point in the same, Canon's EF lens system was not designed to be used on a body as compact and lightweight as the SL1; in particular non EF-S zooms and their higher end lenses. That is not to say anything bad about Canon, since those lenses are fine on all their other bodies.

Unfortunately I take the release of the SL1 in conjunction with the discontinuing of the EOS M to mean that Canon doesn't intend to pursue mirrorless, and that is a total shame. If they had/do release/d an EOS M with a viewfinder, more controls, weather sealing, an articulating touch screen, the new sensor from the 70D, a pair of compact L-series/quality EF-M zooms like a 12-50mm and 50-200mm with IS and a top notch landscape and portrait prime and kept the body price around $1000-1200 and lens prices from $500-750 in line with the higher end M4/3rds, NEX, or Fuji setups, they really could have offered an amazing kit for enthusiasts who already love Canon. Instead I feel like they built the EOS M and didn't support it, over priced it, and put it out there just to watch it fail so they could tell their board and investors that the mirrorless market is poor and they should keep making DSLR's.

Some good points. And the next several months may very well see the debut of two new EOS M models and one probably will have a viewfinder. But if that viewfinder resembles any non-SLR Canon currently offers, I will not be interested.

Regarding the Oly and others, the reviews are wonderful for sure. But what do you have in the bag after you have spent $1,200 USD? One lens, maybe two, plus the body? For those of us in the Canon system, we spend $650 for the SL1 body and already have plenty of lenses. Or, for $100 more we add the new STM 18-55 and have almost as light and compact system as the Oly for about a third less cash.

If I were starting from scratch, some of the non-Canon mirror less would be tempting.

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 01, 2013 11:50 |  #11

All points above are good and it will be down to the individual which suits better but the idea of a compact system in my opinion is that the "system" is compact. With the sl1, the body is but even ef-s lenses are larger than other csc makers. Of course it may seem a waste to add a csc if you have canon lenses but i did recently spot a tourist with a panasonic camera and 2 lenses that went from 14-150 in a 14-42 and 40-150 package, all combined were a similar size to my 5d body in a little belt bag.

It depends on how portable you want the kit I suppose

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

newone757
235 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 01, 2013 11:51 |  #12

The NEX lenses are not that much smaller than DSLR size lenses IMO. I mean they are designed to cover APS-C sized sensor, so they can only make them so much smaller. Not worth it to limit yourself to a smaller pool of lenses that work out to be about the same size as canon's glass. I had a NEX-7 so I speak from experience. Actually, sony and canon's 18-55, 55-200, and 18-200 are about the same size. Canon's 24L is bigger than Sony's 24mm, and Sony's 50mm 1.8 is bigger than Canon's 50 1.8 . In both comparisons all you get is a smaller body with big lenses -- only difference is if you already have Canon glass you can use that on a SL1. Not much difference in kit size though to be honest.

I plan on picking up an SL-1 sometime within a year. Smaller body that I don't have to buy new glass for

5D Mark III - 135L 2.0 - Sigma 35 1.4 - 85 1.8 - 40 2.8 pancake
500px (external link)

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 01, 2013 11:58 |  #13

Eastport wrote in post #16258708 (external link)
Some good points. And the next several months may very well see the debut of two new EOS models and one probably will have a viewfinder. But if that viewfinder resembles any non-SLR Canon currently offers, I will not be interested.

Regarding the Oly and others, the reviews are wonderful for sure. But what do you have in the bag after you have spent $1,200 USD? One lens, maybe two, plus the body? For those of us in the Canon system, we spend $650 for the SL1 body and already have plenty of lenses. Or, for $100 more we add the new STM 18-55 and have almost as light and compact system as the Oly for about a third less cash.

If I were starting from scratch, some of the non-Canon mirror less would be tempting.

I certainly hope they haven't abandoned EOS-M, and the new dual pixel wizardry from the 70D seems to be perfect for that application, but every other sign points to no. I would like to be wrong.

I agree with you, investing in two systems is not for the faint of wallet. The SL1 definitely gives more bang for the buck for an invested Canon user, especially if their primary body is a 5DIII or 1 series that is rather bulky (but then you run into annoyances with the lack of controls on the rebel series vmad) but if you are willing to spend a bit more for a dedicated travel camera, there are better options out there.

I used to travel with 2 dslr's and my full contingent of L glass (including the big white primes a couple of times like Alaska), but my life has changed, and when I travel I want to be able to get the best images I can get for myself, with the least hassle. Plus when I bought my OM-D it was still hard to find in stores, so I was able to sell it for what I paid for it within a hours of putting it back up from the trip and was basically only out shipping for having used it for two months.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 01, 2013 12:00 |  #14

newone757 wrote in post #16258730 (external link)
I plan on picking up an SL-1 sometime within a year. Smaller body that I don't have to buy new glass for

All your lenses are fairly compact, and your 5D III is not compact, so I would agree for you the SL-1 would be a great travel solution.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!

newone757
235 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 01, 2013 12:02 |  #15

Billginthekeys wrote in post #16258761 (external link)
All your lenses are fairly compact, and your 5D III is not compact, so I would agree for you the SL-1 would be a great travel solution.

Yep I'm going to use my wife as an excuse to buy one as I don't actually NEED a second body lol. Start teaching her a little bit about photography. I'll have to buy another 40mm to live on the body for her because she is not stealing mine lol.

5D Mark III - 135L 2.0 - Sigma 35 1.4 - 85 1.8 - 40 2.8 pancake
500px (external link)

sponsored links

5,323 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rebel SL1 vs Sony Nex 5T
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.