Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 21:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommend me a new tripod for wildlife set up

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,403 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 01, 2013 21:49 |  #1

I currently use a Feisol CF Tripod (3342), but thinking I may need something a bit more sturdy now. I like this tripod because it is really light. But, I keep reading where folks are using $500 or more tripods for their wildlife setup. Are these tripods really that much better? What is it about these tripods that make them so costly? Bird and wildlife shooters I need your help here with this decision.

Can you recommend me a better tripod to use with the following equipment: 1D4, 500 f4 (+ extender), JoBu Pro2 Gimbal, flash bracket, 580 II and flash extender.

Thanks...Al

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links
Coral
284 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 02, 2013 00:15 |  #2

I'm using this: SiRui Upgraded M-3204X Carbon Fiber Tripod Max.Load 18kg with K-30X Ballhead Kit Set with a Wimberley Sidekick and P-40 Lens Plate.

I works great and the Sidekick comes off to allow me to use the tripod for other uses besides holding my 500mm f4 Mrk II. I love the Sidekick! :)

I did a lot of shopping and the best price is here: http://thephotogadget.​com …set?ModPagespee​d=noscript (external link) nobody could touch that price and it was free shipping and I received about 7 days.

Living the Dream
Gear: Camera 5D3, Glass: EF 50mm f1.4, EF 100mm f2.8, EF 70-200mm f4, EF 500mm f4 II, Tamron 24-70mm f2.8

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,722 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 02, 2013 07:01 |  #3

I've been using a Gitzo 1228 (discontinued) mostly because it is small enough to travel with. It supports the weight but requires some technique as it is maxed out and therefor not as rigid as the larger/heavier ones. I also shoot my 500 hand held a lot.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 02, 2013 08:37 |  #4

Look at the Gitzo and RRS range. Both manufacturers make stable tripods without a center column suitable for your height and camera equipment. And they cost plenty too.

~Peter

Richard ­ N
125 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 02, 2013 12:43 |  #5

I just picked up an Induro CT314 and though I haven't been able to put to the test yet I'm very impressed with it. It easily straps to my backpack, offers plenty of height adjustment, holds 40# of gear, and has a very solid feel. It's unfortunate that Induro's 25% off summer sale is now over, I think this might have been a good option for what you are seeking.

flickr (external link) - (Coming Soon)
My Gear List
Marketplace Feedback

DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 02, 2013 12:44 |  #6

If you don't mind purchasing used, you can get a lot more for your money. ;)

M10 - ZM 21mm - Elmarit 28mm-CV - Nokton 50mm f/1.2 - Elmarit 90mm

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,403 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 02, 2013 14:04 |  #7

Thanks everyone. I am weighting all options at the moment. I see many of the Pros use the Gitzo or RRS tripods, which cost significantly more than my Feisol. I will probably have to rent some and see what I like.

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

GTogs
Goldmember
1,175 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 02, 2013 15:59 |  #8

I use a Gitzo GT3541LS tripod with a RRS BH55 & a Wimberley sidekick for my 500 f4 & extender. This combination is rock solid and has the benefit that with the sidekick off it becomes my landscape tripod.

Togs
My Gear

Tc202
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 02, 2013 17:24 as a reply to  @ GTogs's post |  #9

I use the gt- 3542 ls tripod with wimberly gymbol. The tripod is rock solid and folds up small. I use it with the canon 500mm f4 and converters.

Alotech Camera Bags (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 02, 2013 19:03 |  #10

Methodical wrote in post #16260116 (external link)
I currently use a Feisol CF Tripod (3342), but thinking I may need something a bit more sturdy now. I like this tripod because it is really light. But, I keep reading where folks are using $500 or more tripods for their wildlife setup. Are these tripods really that much better? What is it about these tripods that make them so costly? Bird and wildlife shooters I need your help here with this decision.

Can you recommend me a better tripod to use with the following equipment: 1D4, 500 f4 (+ extender), JoBu Pro2 Gimbal, flash bracket, 580 II and flash extender.

Thanks...Al

A friend of mine has that tripod and it will certainly work with your 500, it worked with his 600 F4 - but it is far from ideal.
My tripod for my 800mm F5.6 is a Gitzo 3530LS which is fully up to the job and would be more than adequate for your 500 - unfortunately it is no longer made and the new version is (in my opinion) inferior and more expensive.
I have a couple of Sirui products and am pleased with them, I have not tried these particular tripods but their Mono Pods are top notch: http://www.amazon.com …tion-59-1in/dp/B004QC3C94 (external link)
There are similar products in the Feisol range - note they do a heavier duty version of your tripod which should fit the bill.
Personally my ultimate choice would be a Gitzo 3530 LS (unless you are very tall) as, it is light, rigid and perfectly adequate for any lens Canon currently sell - probably why I am so happy with mine.
If you can find a used 3530LS, at sensible money, you will be happy.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,403 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 02, 2013 19:20 |  #11

johnf3f wrote in post #16262418 (external link)
A friend of mine has that tripod and it will certainly work with your 500, it worked with his 600 F4 - but it is far from ideal...

I am starting to notice this myself and that is why I am in the market for a better tripod. I've been looking at the Gitzo and RRS tripods, which seem to come highly recommended by many wildlife photographers. I guess it's only money right.:)

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 02, 2013 20:46 |  #12

Methodical wrote in post #16262454 (external link)
I've been looking at the Gitzo and RRS tripods, which seem to come highly recommended by many wildlife photographers. I guess it's only money right. :)

I saw a survey somewhere a while back and the dominant equipment choice of pro (mostly outdoors as I recall) photogs was a Gitzo systematic for the tripod and the RRS BH-55 ballhead.

Yes it's only money, but it's money well spent. Camera bodies, and to a certain extent lenses come and go. Make a wise investment in quality support and that investment will last through many cameras. The top-of-the-line tripods are worth the extra expense because (a) you will love the stability and (b) you only have to buy once.

The attachment below is a summary table of the current range of Gitzo systematics. They generally go on sale in December/January and some of the most popular models even carry double discounts during that period. If you can wait it's really worth it, and renting is an excellent strategy for figuring out your preferences in the meanwhile.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Peter

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,403 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 02, 2013 22:30 |  #13

Thanks for the data Peter. I'm going to call the one place in DC that I know who rents equipment - hopefully they are still in business.

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,998 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 02, 2013 22:52 |  #14

When I finally went "Gitzo Systematic" it was for one reason.
At the time it was the only tripod system with a good fast leveling "bowl".
I'd had a chance to try it out once, and was immediately sold. The leveling head in conjunction with a good gimbal is a great combo.

Now, I have seen a number of alternatives,. but the Gitzo may still be the fastest to adjust and sturdiest.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,403 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 03, 2013 15:29 |  #15

Well, I went back and forth betwen the RRS and Gitzo, but after reading some of the customer relations issues with Gitzo, I opted for the RRS TVC 33s, which at it's max height (49.75") is right where I have my Feisol set (just under 50"), so it fits me perfectly. I did not opt for a longer tripod because I did not want to have to deal with having to always set the last leg shorter, which I had to do with the Feisol. The Feisol will be relegated to holding flashes and modifiers or used to mount the camera when doing portraiture style shooting.

Thanks all.

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

6,024 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommend me a new tripod for wildlife set up
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.