Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Sep 2013 (Monday) 12:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Contemplating a switch from Canon to Leica...

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 02, 2013 17:46 |  #16

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16262183 (external link)
No more $$$$ than top of the line Canon or Nikon. And its worth every penny.

spoken like a true Leica celebrity ;)

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,856 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2013 17:50 |  #17

jefzor wrote in post #16262139 (external link)
The point of trying an analog rangefinder is testing if he likes the rangefinder focus mechanism. Or he could just invest $5k+ right away because film is impractical.

And yes, Leica lenses are good, very good, the best in the world, but mirrorless cameras are getting to a point where you really can't find much difference in IQ without pixel peeping. The build quality and feel of the Leica is in a league of its own, no competition there, but not worth the price for me. If you really want it, get it. It's a great piece of craftmanship, there's people spending more on their cars, jewelry, boats, antique etc.

I had a chance to play with a Leica for an afternoon, and my plastic rebel with sigma held up nicely in comparison. Yes, the Leica had ever so slightly better IQ if you look at 100%, but I found the DSLR more practical in use. If you want, I could post some real life samples at 1900px width and you guys can guess which is which, but I don't want to lead this thread too much off topic.

Again, this is my personal experience, ymmv, I don't mean to bash Leica.

It's an incredible tool and nothing is better for street work or candid type photography.

Lenses with DoF scales that really work and normal & wide angle glass that Canon and Nikon users wish they that the big two could produce.

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2013 17:52 |  #18

watt100 wrote in post #16262187 (external link)
spoken like a true Leica celebrity ;)

Nice to have your photography be able to pay for whatever you need. If that makes me a celeb I'm good with that. I know I have my priorities right. If ya don't buy all the other stuff you can afford the really good stuff.

To the OP, if you can afford it make the switch. I'm doing after shooting with one for about 9 months now. I actually thought the luster would wear off after a few months but it's only gotten stronger.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 02, 2013 17:54 |  #19

jefzor wrote in post #16262139 (external link)
T

I had a chance to play with a Leica for an afternoon, and my plastic rebel with sigma held up nicely in comparison.

probably held up nicely in the price comparison !

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2013 17:57 |  #20

watt100 wrote in post #16262211 (external link)
probably held up nicely in the price comparison !

Yeah good stuff has and always will be pricey. Have ya priced Hasselblads lately or phase one digital backs? Do ya know what those are :lol::lol:

I remember when Leica M was more than double the price of the top of the line Canon F-1s and Nikons Fs. Now top of the line Canons and Nikons are about the same.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 02, 2013 17:59 |  #21

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16262223 (external link)
Yeah good stuff has and always will be pricey. Have ya priced Hasselblads lately or phase one digital backs? Do ya know what those are :lol::lol:

yeah, when pics look the same but yet one system costs many thousands and thousands ...
ya gotta wonder :D:D

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2013 18:04 |  #22

watt100 wrote in post #16262230 (external link)
yeah, when pics look the same but yet one system costs many thousands and thousands ...
ya gotta wonder :D:D

Its about finding things that work well with the way you see and work. I can tell you that there is a difference in the quality in the prints. Why do ya hate so much? Maybe a closet Leica lover and over compensating cause your on a Canon forum. :lol::lol:

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 02, 2013 18:06 |  #23

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16262248 (external link)
Its about finding things that work well with the way you see and work I can tell you that there is a difference in the quality in the prints. Why do ya hate so much? Maybe a closet Leica lover and over compensating cause your on a Canon forum. :lol::lol:

LOL !!:D

celebrity wannabe !:D:D:D

http://www.nytimes.com ….html?ref=techn​ology&_r=0 (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2013 18:15 |  #24

Wanna be I can agree with and no wanna be's here. These guys are the real deal and not celebs instead amazing photographers and look what almost all shoot with :shock::lol:

Even the Jill Freedman.
http://vimeo.com/70639​661# (external link)

And this
http://www.traileraddi​ct.com …/everybody-street/trailer (external link)

And the reason you might want to shoot with a Leica from an amazing photographer and someone featured in the upcoming film.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Xumo7_JUeMo (external link)

Midlife ­ Crisis
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 02, 2013 18:18 |  #25

My dad bought his Leica M3 Rangefinder in (I believe) 1952 and I still have it. It still has the Kodachrome 32 exposure readings from the film box taped on the original leather case. He used it for over 35 years and I learned photography from him and using the M3 for HS sports using Tri-X 400 film.

Going back to film and rangefinders for me would be going back to basics. With film if you're in a dark place you got 2 choices. Use a longer shutter of a wider aperture, or both and that's it. With digital if you're in a dark place you got several choices, including just raising the ISO speed to whatever you want to get the picture. We can take a digital picture now and actually change it later to suit our taste.

For myself I find digital is also quite basic but in a different way. Now if we take a digital picture we can actually adjust it to something else while we post process it. I wonder what photography will be like in 50 years?

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 02, 2013 18:24 |  #26

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16262286 (external link)
Wanna be I can agree with and no wanna be's here. These guys are the real deal and not celebs instead amazing photographers and look what almost all shoot with :shock::lol:

google "amazing photographers"

https://www.google.com …official&client​=firefox-a (external link)

even Annie Leibovitz ridicules the "celebrity" Leica wannabes !

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2013 18:24 |  #27

Midlife Crisis wrote in post #16262294 (external link)
My dad bought his Leica M3 Rangefinder in (I believe) 1952 and I still have it. It still has the Kodachrome 32 exposure readings from the film box taped on the original leather case. He used it for over 35 years and I learned photography from him and using the M3 for HS sports using Tri-X 400 film.

Going back to film and rangefinders for me would be going back to basics. With film if you're in a dark place you got 2 choices. Use a longer shutter of a wider aperture, or both and that's it. With digital if you're in a dark place you got several choices, including just raising the ISA speed to whatever you want to get the picture.

For myself I find digital is also quite basic but in a different way. Now if we take a digital picture we can actually adjust it to something else while we post process it. I wonder what photography will be like in 50 years?

I'd still be shooting film if I still had a darkroom. M3 is an amazing camera. I can tell you this. It's great to have the ability to shoot at 1/500 of a sec or 1/1000 of a second and having the ability to still shoot at F/8 or F/11 because of really clean 1600 & 3200 ISO. The MM still has the shutter speed dial where it's always been. The lens still had the aperture ring and they both still work and the lenses are still manual focus with great DoF scales.

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2013 18:30 |  #28

watt100 wrote in post #16262309 (external link)

There are poser everywhere. You don't think there are those that wear their 1DsMkIIIs and 400 2.8L like accessories? PLEASE. There are also amazing photographers that shoot with Leica M as there are that shoot with 1DsMkIIIs. Annie has shot with just about everything over the years. There are Hasselblad posers to. So what. The one problem with Leica M is if you ever want to make an image and wanna quite posing, you will need a little skill to operate most.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 02, 2013 18:32 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

So...who cares what others say. If Annie said to go out and shoot with a P&S, would you be first in line.

If someone is not making their money of their photography and don't need the all the latest focus and fps etc... and just wants to go out and shoot and has a great experience using a Leica...what is the problem here?

You seem to be somehow offended or jealous that others can afford using Leica equipment and actually enjoy using something that is not on the technology bleeding edge.

Personally, I love using my X100 for candid street and event photography and would most likely try out a Leica but I have other priorities with my money so I settled on the X100.

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2013 18:38 |  #30

Also I am not going to let google decide for me who the amazing photographers are. They might send me to 500 whatever. I'll stick with calling Davidson, Meyeowitz, Gibson, Winogrand, Bresson, Robert Frank, Eisenstadt, Robert Capa, W.Eugene Smith, this list could go on for a while. BTW they all shot with Leica M.

There are always going to be posers but in the end its the work that counts. My Leica helps me get my vision to a final form by staying out of the way.

sponsored links

8,024 views & 0 likes for this thread
Contemplating a switch from Canon to Leica...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.