Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Sep 2013 (Monday) 15:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you were me, what would you buy next.

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 02, 2013 15:47 |  #1

I find myself not using my lighting equipment nearly as much as I'd like to. I primarily enjoy shooting snowboard/ski stuff but also really want to start shooting portraits (on-location and/or in studio). I'm going to list what I own, and hopefully you guys can make some solid recommendations. I'm mostly concerned about modifiers.

- 1x Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS (kit which comes with standard reflector and umbrella)
- 1x Elinchrom Freelite A head
- 1x Elinchrom Maxi-Spot (for ski/snowboard)
- 1x Mola 22" Demi with opal glass diffuser, grid and sock. (no boom though. thinking C-Stand).
- 1x Lastolite 6' x 4' White/Silver reflector (never used)
- 1x Lastolite 2' EzyBalance Gray Card / White Reflector
- 2x YN-568
- 4x YN-622c
- 1x Impact '6 light stand with umbrella mount and cold shoe
- 1x Westcott 45" convertible umbrella

What I already know I'm lacking:
- Light stands (for speedlites)
- Boom (for Mola Demi). I want a C-Stand after borrowing one for 3 months.
- Sand bags
- Either more umbrellas or softboxes. I'm interested in something like the 24" collapsible softboxes for speedlites. Contemplating Rolalux modifiers but super pricey. I am afraid to cheap out though as my last knock off 5' octobox was too heavy and put stress on my Eli head.
- A way to trigger my Elinchrom. I don't know if I can use my YN-622's as I haven't honestly tried yet. I used to have PCB Cybersyncs which worked great with a special cable from Flash Zebra (still have this). I'm considering selling my Freelite 'A' head to buy an 'S' head to try and play with hypersync if possible with the YN-622's.

GO NUTS.... I'm open to all kinds of suggestions. Mainly looking for modifier recommendations and a new way to trigger my Ranger.

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

sponsored links
chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,160 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 02, 2013 17:02 |  #2

Deep octa. I have a 39" SP Studio, and it puts out great light.

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 02, 2013 17:18 |  #3

chris_holtmeier wrote in post #16262056 (external link)
Deep octa. I have a 39" SP Studio, and it puts out great light.

SP Studio? Never heard of them? I mentioned above that I'm skeptical to use modifiers OTHER than Eli now since my last 5' octabox was too heavy and broke my head, requiring repair.

link?

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,160 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 02, 2013 17:28 |  #4

I know its off brand, but mine has been fantastic. Accidentally ran mine over with my SUV, and it still works. Very light weight. Aluminum ribs.

Copying link from mobile, hope it works :

http://m.bhphotovideo.​com …Z+Softbox+Octag​onal+37%22 (external link)

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 02, 2013 17:31 |  #5

chris_holtmeier wrote in post #16262134 (external link)
I know its off brand, but mine has been fantastic. Accidentally ran mine over with my SUV, and it still works. Very light weight. Aluminum ribs.

Copying link from mobile, hope it works :

http://m.bhphotovideo.​com …Z+Softbox+Octag​onal+37%22 (external link)

Interesting. Only 5 people have rated it. One mentioned this, though...

"It sets up as advertised, easy. My two less then positive comments are: 1. The product photo make this unit appear to be shallow in depth, it is not. It measures 26" deep. It looks like a kettle drum hanging off of the strobe. 2. The depth and weight of the box have me concerned for the plastic strobe mount. It also tends to tip if you are not careful how you position it."

Which is precisely what I am concerned about.

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,160 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 02, 2013 17:49 |  #6

Never had a problem with mine, and that was with cheap Chinese made strobes. I had more of a problem with wind outdoors trying to turn the modifier.

The extra contrast to the light versus a shallow octa is really nice though.

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 02, 2013 17:50 |  #7

So this is the cable that I used to connect my Ranger to my Cybersyncs (which I recently sold). This cable will no longer work because the YN-622 uses a PC connector instead of the 3.5mm jack. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as it sounds like I might be able to use hypersync (supersync) with my ranger pack if I can find a way to connect it to my YN-622.

IMAGE: http://www.flashzebra.com/pics/0014.jpg

shuttereye
324 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 02, 2013 18:08 |  #8

I had the SP 37" for my quadras, It was great and was 95% as good as the Elinchrom Deep Octa at about 1/3 the price. I sold it because I didn't use it much (love using the 50" apollo) and was holding on to the quadra adapter just to use with the octa. Someone (not sure if it was this forum) has a comparison of the 2 of them and they are the exact same weight to the oz.

I'm not sure if the Ranger power can be adjusted using the Elinchrom skyport triggers but if they can pick them up I love the fact that I can be laying on the ground and change the power of a light that is 15 feet away without having to move.

If you are looking for a modifier for speedlights the westcott apollo series is nice but if you are looking for something cheaper check out this http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​485524dccd (external link) for the price it's practically disposable, and fwiw it's as durable as the $100+ 28" apollo.

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 02, 2013 18:17 |  #9

shuttereye wrote in post #16262262 (external link)
I had the SP 37" for my quadras, It was great and was 95% as good as the Elinchrom Deep Octa at about 1/3 the price. I sold it because I didn't use it much (love using the 50" apollo) and was holding on to the quadra adapter just to use with the octa. Someone (not sure if it was this forum) has a comparison of the 2 of them and they are the exact same weight to the oz.

I'm not sure if the Ranger power can be adjusted using the Elinchrom skyport triggers but if they can pick them up I love the fact that I can be laying on the ground and change the power of a light that is 15 feet away without having to move.

If you are looking for a modifier for speedlights the westcott apollo series is nice but if you are looking for something cheaper check out this http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​485524dccd (external link) for the price it's practically disposable, and fwiw it's as durable as the $100+ 28" apollo.

Not a big fan of the Apollo but thanks for the suggestion. As for the skyports, I always have an assistant so changing the power remotely on the Ranger isn't a big deal. I'm more curious at the moment as to whether or not I can find a cable to connect my YN-622's to the Ranger pack.

Pompei ­ Drasteria
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 02, 2013 18:47 |  #10

How about purchasing a Strobella ?

I don't think it would be too heavy for your Elinchrom Ranger heads, and you can definitely use it with speedlites as well.

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 02, 2013 19:01 |  #11

Pompei Drasteria wrote in post #16262380 (external link)
How about purchasing a Strobella ?

I don't think it would be too heavy for your Elinchrom Ranger heads, and you can definitely use it with speedlites as well.

LOL. :lol:

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 02, 2013 19:59 |  #12

Aressem wrote in post #16262200 (external link)
So this is the cable that I used to connect my Ranger to my Cybersyncs (which I recently sold). This cable will no longer work because the YN-622 uses a PC connector instead of the 3.5mm jack. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as it sounds like I might be able to use hypersync (supersync) with my ranger pack if I can find a way to connect it to my YN-622.

A PC-sync to PC-sync cable is widely available. By using one with a YN-622C trigger, it should sync your strobe. No remote power level adjustment is available that way, but you do get 1CS, 2CS and pre-shutter "supersync".

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 02, 2013 20:17 |  #13

CliveyBoy wrote in post #16262529 (external link)
A PC-sync to PC-sync cable is widely available. By using one with a YN-622C trigger, it should sync your strobe. No remote power level adjustment is available that way, but you do get 1CS, 2CS and pre-shutter "supersync".

Right but my Elinchrom Ranger doesn't have a PC-sync connection. It has that weird one seen in the image posted above.

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 03, 2013 10:10 |  #14

if you had a 5 foot octa how did you like the light ?
ya got a 22 mola skip the 22 softbox IMHO

without knowing what you want to shoot for portraits ?
kids ?
adults ?
fashion ?
single or small groups like a family ?

maybe another large octa or 60 inch softlighter ? something to get that large soft light ?
nice to have soft light for some kids and some adults that dont want the harder edge light

one stand that has a adjustable leg ? handy when you need it in a park or something
or better yet someone to help hold your lights :) so you can run and gun easier :)

22 mola (have)
39 octa (SP or Eli ? )
60 inch soft something

with those you can do a lot
grid for hairlight maybe and those times you need that kinda narrow focus ?

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 03, 2013 10:20 |  #15

building on the recommendations about the EZ octa, I have several "EZ" modifiers made by Fotodiox (strip banks, soft boxes, "deep octa"-type-banks - I absolutely love them. They are extremely fast to set up, very durable, and offer several different lighting options. (inner diffusers, amazing priced grids). I've worked with rotalux modifiers in the past. They are ideal, no doubt. My thinking is that if I can get the same general effect but have left over money for more modifiers, more sizes, the addition of grids, etc., then it's best to go the bigger bang per buck option. I haven't tried Fotodiox's non-EZ modifiers mind you. There is more setup involved with those products, I've read. (i.e. their 80"? light bank)

My only complaint about the cheaper build quality of the fotodiox is that their speedrings all tend to fit a little too loose and it can be a little tricky mounting /dismounting from the strobe at times because it will slip rather than twist on/off.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links

2,441 views & 0 likes for this thread
If you were me, what would you buy next.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.